hulika

Author Topic: Can someone/somebody guide or help me to replace my tubes?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
Can someone/somebody guide or help me to replace my tubes?
« on: January 31, 2016, 12:22:15 AM »
I can see some tubes that needs to be replaced in the future. I'm noob at amp fixing. Do I really need to BIAS these? Or I can directly replace it? I found that watching a tutorial on youtube and reading articles on google search is useless for me, besides, we are in the country called 'Philippines'. I want to do it by myself, cause I know that an amp is more complicated to master it's maintenance.
By the way, this amp is a cheap Marshall DSL 40C.

Any opinion, answers and suggestions are highly appreciated and welcome.
Thanks  :-)

I know mang Raul is there but, I really wanted to learn and master the world of tube amp maintenance.

I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Can someone/somebody guide or help me to replace my tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 01:27:35 AM »
By the way you typed your query, you're not even close to being qualified to touch the insides of your amp. It took me 5 years and countless hours of dabbling with DIY electronics to finally gather enough confidence to fiddle with the insides of my amp, and I almost broke the amp/electrocuted myself on the first try.

Each tube draws a certain amount of electricity different from others, even of the same type or brand. You need to bias each and every new set of power tubes you plug into the amp. Preamp tubes are plug and play.

I'll at least tell you what I used on my personal amp:

1. Digital multimeter
2. 1 ohm, 1 watt, 1 percent metal film resistor (one per each power tube on your amp)

The method I used on my amp is called the cathode resistor method. This involves desoldering the ground wire on all power tube sockets (the things your power tubes plug into, usually pin 8 on 8-pin tubes) and soldering a 1 ohm, 1 watt, 1 percent resistor between this pin and chassis ground. It's very important to get 1 ohm, 1 watt (or higher), 1 percent (or better) resistors or the measurements will not be as accurate. You will measure the so-called plate voltage of the amp from pin 3 of any of the power tubes, get that value, then find out how much current your tubes need to perform at optimum conditions, which can then be measured via the resistors we soldered earlier. Adjust the bias pot (small square/circle thing in the amp with a screw head that can be turned) until you get the optimum current as per the calculated range. Below are some websites that might help you.

http://www.duncanamps.com/technical/lvbias.html
https://robrobinette.com/Tube_Bias_Calculator.htm

Before attempting any of these, please read up on draining filter capacitors, using a multimeter, and general electronics safety guidelines.

Please take note that I am only sharing you knowledge I got via the Internet. I will NOT be responsible for any damage or injuries you sustain should you decide to try this yourself.

Offline BlackandGoldLP

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 01:28:28 AM »
even this doesn't help?

exact same amp. pretty straight forward.

a Marshall DSL40c is not exactly cheap BTW.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 01:41:46 AM »
even this doesn't help?

exact same amp. pretty straight forward.

a Marshall DSL40c is not exactly cheap BTW.

That's super convenient! It seems the amp already has the resistors I was talking about, built in (13:04 in the video).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:49:52 AM by lolwat »

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
You could bias it the way lolwat did it, but if you dont want to touch the soldering pencil for this, you can check the bias voltage on pin 5 and work from there. Fender's 6L6GC based amps recommend about -52v on pin 5; just check what typical voltages are recommended for EL34s.

This is OK for the most part but two notes here:

1. That generally sounds too cold a bias voltage for me, and this is usually confirmed by my bias probe.

2. This recommendation was made back in the day when there was more consistency in tube manufacturing even between manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline shoegaze geezer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 12:04:25 AM »
i have the exact same amp. good to know there is a youtube tutorial on how to replace and bias the tubes.
"I look at yours, you laugh at mine. And love is just a miserable lie"

Offline dirtybluesplayer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
And now still watching and watching all over again, but then I don't know what tubes are suitable or advised.  :?
I'm a one eared musician, and yes I do exist.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 07:46:05 PM »
And now still watching and watching all over again, but then I don't know what tubes are suitable or advised.  :?

EL34s are good, but 6L6GCs can also be used. Use the website provided to calculate the correct values for your particular set of tubes. Luckily, you only need to get yourself a multimeter without any soldering.