hulika

Author Topic: Working Stiff rocks!  (Read 5520 times)

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
Working Stiff rocks!
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:13 AM »
Finally caught Working Stiff's last gig for the year last night at Strumm's Jupiter..

All I can say is ... Man! These guys sound great! It was definitely a nostalgic trip. Haven't heard that kind of live music in a long, long time..

If you're a big fan of 80s jazz (a.k.a. 'smooth jazz'), you'll definitely love this group..

Tight, seamless grooves pumped out by a first-rate rhythm section. Great chemistry.

It was great to hear all those Spyrogyra, Rippingtons and all those other tunes from way, way back.

And it was an added treat to see Iwi Laurel still doing what she does best.. Was that a Brand New Heavies tune she grooved on? Aside from the much-requested Seawind songs?  :-)

While these guys are definitely all competent soloists, they never blow their wads out in ten-minute solos. There's that element of restraint that keeps you wanting for more..

It's all about the groove for these guys ..

"No static at all ..."

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
Re: Working Stiff rocks!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 08:00:10 AM »
We will definitely watch them again (next year na..), bitin kami the last time. I hope they play Brother to Brother and Carly's Song, as well as Song for Lorraine..
Give it all you\'ve got, but slowly - Chuck Mangione

Offline working stiff

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 10:48:36 PM »
Finally caught Working Stiff's last gig for the year last night at Strumm's Jupiter..

All I can say is ... Man! These guys sound great! It was definitely a nostalgic trip. Haven't heard that kind of live music in a long, long time..

If you're a big fan of 80s jazz (a.k.a. 'smooth jazz'), you'll definitely love this group..

Tight, seamless grooves pumped out by a first-rate rhythm section. Great chemistry.

It was great to hear all those Spyrogyra, Rippingtons and all those other tunes from way, way back.

And it was an added treat to see Iwi Laurel still doing what she does best.. Was that a Brand New Heavies tune she grooved on? Aside from the much-requested Seawind songs?  :-)

While these guys are definitely all competent soloists, they never blow their wads out in ten-minute solos. There's that element of restraint that keeps you wanting for more..

It's all about the groove for these guys ..

Deacon Blues, thanks for the review! We feel we don't deserve your glowing comments (we have a long way to go pa); we're just very happy you enjoyed the music. We enjoyed sharing that nostalgia trip with you and the rest of the audience. Yes, the Brand New Heavies song Iwi sang was "Never Stop". For January, we may be able to play just 1 night (before Jan 9) because some of our guys are going to the UK for a gig with their other band Overdrive. Will keep you posted for date and venue. Kung di matuloy gig namin, hope to see you in February na.

Boddhisattva, tell us when you're around so we can play "Carly's Song" for you. That one is definitely in the rep. How about "Autumn of our Love" instead of "Song for Lorraine" in the meantime? "Brother to Brother" is a song we do want to play but still need to learn!

Thanks, guys! Hope to see you again.

Offline working stiff

Working Stiff at Magnet Katipunan Jan. 3, 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 10:12:28 AM »
Word just in. We will be playing at Magnet Katipunan on Wed. Jan 3, 2007 for our first gig of 2007. Show starts 9pm. Hope to see all fusion/smooth jazz lovers on that night.

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 09:27:01 AM »
Finally!!! napanood ko na rin sila!!! Deacon Blues' thread and and review had been driving me crazy. My wife and son and I were lucky enough to get the last free table in the house. I guess recognized suki na rin ako ng waiters sa Magnet, hahaha!

Nostalgia trip nga! Brought me back to my days of courtship and dating. Smooth! Ang sarap. Kulang na lang lounge chairs to complete that experience.

I was awed by Oggie Benipayo's choices of songs to sing - Al Jarreau, Gino Vanelli, etc - huuwaaw! astig!  Remarkably entertaining was Raul Banzon's 'sax-pertise' and high-energy showmanship. Amazing that you can keep going and going... para kang Energizer battery, sir! As a guitar aficionado, I was hoping for more solos from the restrained Kedy Sanchez... but by continuing to watch more of the band in the coming months, hopefully I can pick up some awesome licks soon!

It was a pleasure to have met you guys. I hope to catch you again at Strumms, which should be an even better venue to capture your vibe.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 11:13:38 AM by vegetablejoe »

Offline blue buddha

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »
Finally!!! napanood ko na rin sila!!! Deacon Blues' thread and and review had been driving me crazy. My wife and son and I were lucky enough to get the last free table in the house. I guess recognized suki na rin ako ng waiters sa Magnet, hahaha!

Nostalgia trip nga! Brought me back to my days of courtship and dating. Smooth! Ang sarap. Kulang na lang lounge chairs to complete that experience.

I was awed by Oggie Benipayo's choices of songs to sing - Al Jarreau, Gino Vanelli, etc - huuwaaw! astig!  Remarkably entertaining was Raul Banzon's 'sax-pertise' and high-energy showmanship. Amazing that you can keep going and going... para kang Energizer battery, sir! As a guitar aficionado, I was hoping for more solos from the restrained Kedy Sanchez... but by continuing to watch more of the band in the coming months, hopefully I can pick up some awesome licks soon!

It was a pleasure to have met you guys. I hope to catch you again at Strumms, which should be an even better venue to capture your vibe.

Bummed we couldn't make it -- tumagal ang rehearsal last night.  :|

Restraint = Taste. That's why you'll be back for more. Kedy's got the chops!  :wink:

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 12:26:58 AM »
Glad to know you enjoyed the gig, veggie joe!

Brought you back to your days of courtship and dating eh? Hmmm ... Eh di umaga ka na nakatulog? Hehehe .. :lol:

Gino Vanelli huh. I don't remember catching that the last Strumm's date. I'd love to hear them run through 'Brother to Brother,' if that's on their rep at all.

Too bad you didn't see the major babe ... but that's a good reason to catch them again - and again ..
"No static at all ..."

Offline tele-tubby

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
met the Working Stiff guys... nice, cool people :-D

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 08:24:23 AM »
When's the next Working Stiff sked?

Offline kahel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »
oo nga kailan next gig sana weekend :-D

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 05:09:57 PM »
I heard that some of the members of the band are out of the country for a gig, and will be back next week. Til then, no gig skeds I suppose...

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 02:16:12 PM »
Hello Friends,

tama si veggie joe, the stiffs took a break as two of us scooted off to London for an OVERDRIVE special gig at High Street Kensington.  fyi, overdrive is composed of veterans Louie Ramirez (also formerly of Shanghied) and Iwi Laurel on vocals; ace guitarist Anton Periquet, the breed's Johnny Besa (aka Dyanibee), Mari Cancio on keys, rock drummer Benny Obana, and myself.

i just arrived a few hours ago with Johnny, Benny, and Louie.  Iwi will cool off in London as well as Mari who proceeds to Surrey to be with relatives.  Anton leaves for HK where I think he will EB with other guitar players and watch Clapton on the 17th.  Tama ba, Blue Buddha?

Mari will try to be back by the weekend.  sana you could all be patient with us as we try to regroup and hopefully play by first week of February at thelatest.  sana makapanood pa rin kayo.

thanks.  Veggie, dalawa na kami ng Rats na nagiivite sa iyong tumugtog.

KEDS

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
February 28 at Strumm's!   :-D
Imagine a world without bass...

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »
Yo, Johnny.  See you there.

And yes, i'll see you tomorrow.

Offline working stiff

Working Stiff rocks!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 10:07:55 AM »
We'll be playing again March 14 (Wed) and 21 (Wed) at Strumm's with several new songs!

Deacon and Boddhisattva: Per your request, we'll be playing Vannelli's Brother to Brother. New songs include Pick up the Pieces, Isn't She Lovely, Rainbow in your Eyes. We hope to add at least three more by the 21st (Vannelli's Nightwalker?)

DyaniBee: Kedy and I wanted to watch the Rats last Friday but Kedy got stuck in a meeting and I got stuck waiting for Kedy to reply to a text message he never got. Anyway, hope to see you at our gig on the 14th and at yours on the 16th. Baka daan akong bass eb Friday sa 6u.

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
No prob.  Are you guys the only act on the 14th and 21st?

Offline working stiff

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Hey Johnny,

On the 14th, the jazz band Sound will have a short audition set in between our 2 sets. If all goes well for Sound, they will be our back-to-back partner on the 21st. And I think for succeeding months as well. Surely a good fit audience-wise.

Sent you pm. Thanks.

Offline Deacon Blues

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 09:58:29 PM »
Hey, I've heard these guys a couple of years back at the Fete. I love their sound! Is it still Chad Rialp on bass?

Of all the drummers I've heard that night, I take my hat off to this group's. Can't remember his name though. Very unobtrusive drumming.

Working Stiff and Sound. Wow, what a great tandem! Hope they make it..
"No static at all ..."

Offline working stiff

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 08:34:20 AM »
Hey, I've heard these guys a couple of years back at the Fete. I love their sound! Is it still Chad Rialp on bass?

Of all the drummers I've heard that night, I take my hat off to this group's. Can't remember his name though. Very unobtrusive drumming.

Working Stiff and Sound. Wow, what a great tandem! Hope they make it..

Haven't had the pleasure of meeting these guys yet so don't know their personnel. Am sure they'll make it.

Offline Boddhisattva

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 08:40:41 AM »
Working Stiff and Sound. Great combination! I once heard Sound in Rockwell ages ago (back to back then with Parliament Syndicate).  I have to see this.

Offline kedysanchez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
Working Stiff and Sound. Great combination! I once heard Sound in Rockwell ages ago (back to back then with Parliament Syndicate).  I have to see this.

Talaga?  That was circa late Nineties, di ba? Have they been around that long?
All I know is that they were part of the APO tribute album with their radical version of Di Na Natuto.  A little too different for my taste but nonetheless, very contemporary in terms of approach.

Hope to see you there, Boddhisatva and Deacs.

Offline max506

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 07:36:07 PM »
Astig Working Stiff and Sound! I gotta watch this, I won't be up to my neck with work by that time  :-D

Offline tenwax

• Netizen Level
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
Working Stiff ayus!
Tears in my eyes burn - tears in my eyes burn
While I'm waiting - while I'm waiting for my turn,
See!

Offline working stiff

Working Stiff at Strumm's and Bonifacio High Street
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 03:59:41 PM »
tomorrow wednesday march 14 at strumm's. show starts 9pm. 2 sets working stiff and a set by sound inbetween.

also friday march 16 at bonifacio high street, bonifacio global city (fort bonifacio) for Mag:net's "Music on the Street". our short set of 5 songs starts at 830pm. there will be nine other bands I think; kasama sound.

and again wednesday march 21 at strumm's. show starts 9pm. 2 sets.

Offline DyaniBee

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 08:28:02 AM »
Sayang talaga I didn't get to go last night... Rehearsals kasi.  Not sure if I can make the 16th because of a show at Handlebar... You guys are invited, of course.  March 21 na lang siguro.

Turns out that the drummer of Sound is the son of my daughter's principal at Maria Montessori!  Small world talaga.