hulika

Author Topic: Drums + Musical Instruments Focus  (Read 2179 times)

Offline lordlors

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Drums + Musical Instruments Focus
« on: October 08, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »
Hi i've been wondering what would happen if you would focus and learn on more than just one musical instrument? If you are a drummer and you would practice on other musical instruments, would you still be able to be a great drummer?

Which is better: focusing on drums alone or getting to focus on drums and other musical instruments altogether if possible? And why??

*Title Edited
-Mod
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 08:17:49 PM by Akira JUMBO »

Offline metalmuhlisha

• Veteran Member
Re: Musical Instruments
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »
this is more of a question of your personal ability to grasp concepts and learn them. only you yourself can answer this.

thomas lang also plays guitar and keyboards, while other drummers only focus on drumming. learning other instruments may/may not compliment your musicality, it all depends on your preference, and most of all, dedication. if you can devote time to learn and master the nuances of every instrument, i don't think there's any reason for you not to succeed in each one. nothing is impossible.

pero ako personally, drums lang talaga gusto ko e, kaya drums lang ako. good luck, try mo nalang personally, para may 1st-hand experience ka diyan sa katanungan mo. :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 03:05:45 PM by metalmuhlisha »
kung di mo alam, isipin muna ang GMG bago ang lahat: Google Mo, G**O!

Offline paeng16

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
If you know how to read notes or has formal music training. It's not that hard to play other instruments.
For Sale:
Zildjian Avedis MedThin 16" Crash = 5K
Zildjian ZHT 10" Splash = 2K BNew Gibraltar single pedal and Straight stand = 2K each  PM Me ty..

Offline plep

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 04:16:43 PM »
kung kaya mo, sige lang. magagamit mo sa ibang instrumento ang rhythm na napupulot mo sa drums, at meron ring impluwensiya sa pagpalo ang pag-alam ng ibang instrumento.

halimbawa, ako nagsusulat ng riffs para sa banda namin, kaso most of the time eh "percussive" ang dating (chugging, atonal, ganun), o kaya naka-odd time (na di ko maiintindihan otherwise kung di ako nagdrums).

sa kabilang dako naman, may sensitivity na rin ako sa pangangailangan ng ibang instrumento sa pagpalo ko. alam ko na aling bagsakan ang dapat bitinin ng onti para mapatamis, kung pano lalapatan ng synkopado ang isang komplikadong riff na pasok sa ginagawa ng gitara at di lang sa bilang, etc.

Offline diosa!

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 07:04:03 PM »
no problem with that. my son plays the electric and bass and the drums as a band member. but he also reads chords and can play the keyboard and violin. but he loves the bass and drums more.

i guess this will develop his composing abilities later.

in your case, maybe you will discover your other talents. :oops:
sino katabi ng dios? ang diosa!

Offline thegreatone

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 07:14:54 PM »
i guess it really depends on you.  :-D if you can do it, why not, right? the only downside with that is time. usually, a person needs to spend a lot of time to be able to master a particular instrument. but some are actually "gifted", and can learn things pretty quickly. depende sayo talaga bro.  :wink: if you have the dedication and time to master different instruments, go for it. :lol:

but for me personally, i'd like to devote my time harnessing my drumming skills. for one, i don't have a lot of free time given work, family, etc. secondly, drums lang talaga ang instrument na nag-eenjoy ako habang tumutugtog.  :-D

Offline lordlors

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 07:34:46 PM »
BTW, i'm interested on the violin :-D how about you guys??

Offline numberfortyone

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
gusto ko matuto mag bass  :-)
kaso andami ko pa kelangan matutunan sa drums, kaya focus muna dun  :-D

Offline kimpoy19

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Drums + Musical Instruments Focus
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 10:00:47 PM »
guys, eto para saakin, hmmm I can say na I can play all basic instruments exept wind, pero yung dedication ko sa instrument na ginagalawan ko ay andun at yung pinaka focus mo na instrument ay sadyang naka focus ka,
kasi kapag palipat-lipat ka ng instruments, paano mo magiging master ang isang instrument na iyon.
Pero kung kaya mo sa sarili mo, sige, go on, malaya ka naman, republika ng pilipinas tayo, hehe. basta never miss the word PASSION

:-) :-)
drumming is my greatest way to praise the Lord!

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »
I strongly believe that if you treat an instrument like another instrument, e.g. you're playing the drums with the mindset of a guitarist or a singer, you're actually extending the capabilities of the instrument you're playing, and you’re able to listen and understand the song as a whole. Proficiency with other instruments is not a requirement - understanding playing styles and concepts is enough.

Listen to how Toe drummer Takashi Kashikura plays. He's weaving in, out and along the lines of the band’s signature dual guitar arpeggios (edit: ok, it's not "signature", Minus the Bear and Pele do this, but Toe does this almost exclusively). He's playing his drums as a guitarist, so the music sounds more melodic, more refined, and more subtle. Through that, he's extending the definition of being a drummer.

In one of his interviews, he was asked to explain how he was able to play the intricate patterns and subtle time changes in their songs. He replied that he doesn't focus on the technicality of the songs at all, but he rather listens to the other band members and the overall mood of each song. Kashikura and the rest of the band are so good in transmitting the mood of their songs that listeners would often share the same song interpretations, even if Toe’s songs don’t have lyrics at all.

Beyond knowing and playing other instruments, a musician must master the skill of synesthesia - applying one sensation to another sensation - to be a true musical genius. For example, Hiromi Uehara, another excellent musician, was trained by her piano teacher to abandon all the technical stuff and focus on the combination of her senses. When her teacher was asking her to play the color blue, she played moody music, or when she was asked to play red, she played a really dynamic line. She was trained to play music as if she was painting images.

The musicians of The Mars Volta also compose and play songs this way. In one interview, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez stated that they don't focus on the technical side of the song, and they'd just write and categorize parts through visuals. They would have terms like "that pirate part" or "that jungle part" instead of “play 7/4 over this bass staccato”.

Otherwise, if you're a drummer merely playing as a drummer, you'd end up too technical and too self-absorbed.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 02:16:35 PM by Gep »

Offline 420

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »
learning a melodic instrument(eg. piano, guitars, etc) will help you relate more to others around you, as well as give you the opportunity to write/compose.. :-D

Offline paeng16

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »
kung drummer ka at you want to play piano or guitar. medyo mahihirapan ka. kasi Daliri and ginagamit hindi kamay at paa.

like guitarist will play flute, naku. stop smoking muna bago ka mag flute! (gets?)

:-D
For Sale:
Zildjian Avedis MedThin 16" Crash = 5K
Zildjian ZHT 10" Splash = 2K BNew Gibraltar single pedal and Straight stand = 2K each  PM Me ty..