hulika

Author Topic: Fender Japan vs. Fender USA vs. Fender Mexico: best quality-to-price ratio  (Read 23325 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
I am adding a clause here:

IF RESALE VALUE IS NOT AN ISSUE,

what Fender factory is best in the quality to price ratio?  Consider upgrades (say most pickups in MIJs are usually 'ok') while US Fenders are more expensive. 

Offline smartassplayingdumb

I think Japanese. Some of the older ones were very good and almost on par with American ones in terms of craftmanship. If it's a Japanese Fender, it's good.

Offline boogsy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Not all Japanese Fenders are good, I've tried some that sounded dull and lifeless (same for the other 2 factories). I guess its really hit or miss. However, in terms of quality to price ratio I'd have to say the Japanese made ones are ahead. This doesnt mean they are better instruments, it just means they are priced more accordingly to their craftsmanship - if not underpriced. I find that Mexican made ones aren't that consistent, and that most of the production US guitars are (on average including the CS) a bit overpriced.

Glad you raised this as a criteria for comparison bro, I believe what Leo Fender really wanted was to mass produce guitars that were affordable and modular in design. I doubt that's still the company goal now. Somehow I don't mind pouring a lot of money in for a well made LP but when it comes to strats I sometimes almost feel like it should only cost so much. That's probably just me though. I'm also less careful with my strats, parang pwede bastusin eh. (dont get me wrong, I love em)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:14:47 AM by boogsy »
Music is perpetual, and only the hearing is intermittent.

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
I'm also less careful with my strats, parang pwede bastusin eh. (dont get me wrong, I love em)

dapat naman ganun i think with our strats eh... dapat bastusin talaga. the more you abuse it, better music comes out of it.

when i play them live, i really dig in deep. hot-drunken-sex dig in deep.  :-)

On topic though, I would have to place my bet on Fender Japan.  Although, they do still produce a few duds here and there, on average, their craftsmanship is really quite there, and relatively cheap compared to their US brothers.

Offline nathanmanansala

• Philmusicus Addictus
depende kung saang part nung range ka titingin, pero usually Fender Japan pa din.

If you compare the "standard" models, I'll take the MIM. Its about the same price as an MIJ "standard", has alder or poplar instead of basswood and the hardware will be easy to upgrade because the knobs and control plate will fit CTS pots and CRL switch. The Am. Std. will have alder but the pickups aren't really that much better the MIM's (IMO). and for the price you can get an MIM na lang AND pretty good pickups, pots, switch and saddle upgrades.

when you go higher up the model scale, the MIM gets left a little behind. You'll then be comparing an MIJ '52ri (swamp ash body with dimarzio or fender texas specials) to an MIA '52ri (swamp ash body with fender OV or nocaster pickups) to some upscale MIM model (meron nga ba?) and at this range, medyo malaki na yung price difference between an MIA and MIJ. You'll be able to antiquity pickups na for the price difference, callaham control assembly and glendale saddles na.

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
fender jap all the way :-) craftmanship wise ah,, :wink:
AMMK!!!

Offline echo_ikaw

• Veteran Member
fender jap all the way :-) craftmanship wise ah,, :wink:

i'v got a jaguar mij, and i have to upgrade the electronics to american parts and the pick ups to SD..pick ups we're not potted on mij, squeels a lot..but i like the feel of mij :-D

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
tried MIM, MIA,MIJ fenders...i feel sad i missed one chance on a MIM strat it was nice all around pickups were so so, dark sounding than i expected them to be..and also tried a MIA which felt similar..im not much of a fender guy but that means somethin..

Offline katayama

• Netizen Level
MIJ has the craftsmanship of a MIA fenders if not better but the choice of wood on the MIA though in my opinion is better than the MIJs, some MIJs are bass wood bodied. MIM wood is exactly the same as MIA but the choice of cuts and all are second grade to the MIA. MIM electronics and pick ups  i feel are better than the MIJ. MIA has the best ones in terms of hardware and all this sorts.  I have all three but the best sounding for me now is my MIJ with new TEXAS specials PUPS and upgraded US electronics it beats my 2009 MIA standard hands down and the MIM sounds crap compared to the two.  THis is based on my personal experience owning all three but dont trust me I might dont know what im saying here  :-D

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
i like basswood  :-) but it shouldnt be an expensive guitar..

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Fender Japan vs. Fender USA vs. Fender Mexico: best quality-to-price ratio
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 05:22:10 AM »
One fender jap me me happy  8-) a JV strat in terms of pricing mura yung jap versions as per pinoy market,,, and pinoy market makes american fenders sooo untouchable
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 05:25:27 AM by mikomiko »
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
One fender jap me me happy  8-) a JV strat in terms of pricing mura yung jap versions as per pinoy market,,, and pinoy market makes american fenders sooo untouchable

hahahahah MISMO TUMBOK MO  :lol:
AMMK!!!

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:26:43 AM »
not any of the 3 but still technically a Fender, in my opinion, the Squier Classic Vibe Series has the best quality-to-price ratio these days.
don't let the Squier name or 'Crafted in China' put you off, these are quality guitars. you don't even have to change the pups on these.

checkout this clip:

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
not any of the 3 but still technically a Fender, in my opinion, the Squier Classic Vibe Series has the best quality-to-price ratio these days.
don't let the Squier name or 'Crafted in China' put you off, these are quality guitars. you don't even have to change the pups on these.

checkout this clip:

maybe their strat and tele's but that duo sonic still has crappy hardware and pickups..

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
maybe their strat and tele's but that duo sonic still has crappy hardware and pickups..
maybe because they have a different supplier for the duosonic pickups. theres a rumor that the pups on the CV strats and teles are actually Tonerider Pickups(good quality made in china aftermarket pups). Tonerider doesn't offer duosonic pups so it might be a different supplier.
but you can always change the pups and its still a good buy.

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:31 PM »

checkout this clip:

nice tonez!  8-)

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2010, 11:56:40 PM »
maybe because they have a different supplier for the duosonic pickups. theres a rumor that the pups on the CV strats and teles are actually Tonerider Pickups(good quality made in china aftermarket pups). Tonerider doesn't offer duosonic pups so it might be a different supplier.
but you can always change the pups and its still a good buy.

$349? its probably better to get em used but for the duo sonic..for 349..i can think of other stuff that i can get that are of better quality for 299..

Offline bryvincent

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
$349? its probably better to get em used but for the duo sonic..for 349..i can think of other stuff that i can get that are of better quality for 299..
i mean, if you actually want a new duosonic it is still a good buy. but if you're not really looking for a particular model, i agree there are other good buys too.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 02:08:17 AM »
i mean, if you actually want a new duosonic it is still a good buy. but if you're not really looking for a particular model, i agree there are other good buys too.

well $349 for a squire duo sonic that needs upgrades for it to be working right is not right for me, if it was 199 thats ok,

Offline mikomiko

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 04:21:20 AM »

I made a choice err like almost a year ago if i would get a duo sonic/or a $250 squier but got an MIC ESP eclipse instead i think its too pricey for $349
SKA UP YER LIFE RUDY!!!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
I made a choice err like almost a year ago if i would get a duo sonic/or a $250 squier but got an MIC ESP eclipse instead i think its too pricey for $349

OT: i was looking for a maple fretboard guitar and at that time tested the CV strats ,tele's and duo sonic, i tried them with an amp what i already had(Blackstar) so to get more familiar feel to it. the CV tele's and strats were ok, but was on a budget of $220-ish so when they pulled up the MIC ESP LTD mh103 to me its was a great feel to it. especially the fretting and how the frets were dressed..im looking forward to another MIC Esp LTD this year with a maple fretboard but not a carved top//

IT: if that wasnt available id go for a used MIM Fender for 299..

Offline vhunter

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »
Japan is nowhere near as good as mexico starting 08. IF your buying an 07 and below.. yeah.. a MIJ should be better in fit and finish but MIM guitars are usually lighter (on an average but not the rule). Its the source of the wood. Lat 07, the custom shop visited mexico and fixed their production lines giving birth to the road worn series. After that visit MIM guitars exceeded MIA guitars in fit and finish. Jap guitars have always been known for having excellent fit and finish but the new MIM guitars have that custom shop touch that youll feel when you play it.

Offline blacktele

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 12:00:26 AM »
Fender USA is out of the equation in terms of quality to price ratio, their expense suggest that they use parts that are way expensive than the other two makers.
GAS is proof that money has no value without velocity

Offline felixrocks

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
Fender MIJ- craftsmanship

Fender USA- expensive

They're both good in terms of sounds and hardwares..  :evil:
References: putchazta_46,alvinratism,XFree,zuluwashere,tukak0210,frivers,JayL517,bklixuz,heiniken01,dax,tranquil,lydiandominant,chinitajen,lidista03,secretavenger234,dr. evil,boxxed,Eric.Draven

Offline kurtcobainer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 01:26:40 AM »
Haven't tried a US Fender strat, but I owned an MIM and a CIJ and the Japanese strat wins in all points. Craftsmanship, sound/tone and hardwares.