hulika

Author Topic: Your Fave Job as a Band Member  (Read 2266 times)

Offline IncX

Your Fave Job as a Band Member
« on: September 22, 2013, 07:10:56 PM »
i just sat down and realized being in a band doesn't necessarily mean just looking for members, playing songs onstage and getting people to like you. there are a lot of parts in it, and the bands who do not last or get anywhere is because there are some jobs they hate doing and thus never do.

here are the jobs, i thought about and i'm wondering which one is your fave and why?

1.) HR/job hunting = this is the part where you either look for personnel to form a band, or look for an existing band to join. this also includes looking for replacements in case one of the guys get fired or quit.

2.) setlist building = this is where a lot of us enjoy. basically, you are either writing songs, or learning songs for a set list

3.) gig booking = self explanatory, the part in the life cycle of a band where you are looking for gigs

4.) marketing = the part where you have to socialize and meet people and let them know you exist and that you play this kind of music

5.) merchandise = this is the part where you are looking for ways to fund your band, either thru selling merchandise or CDs. this covers parts where you deal with print, shirt and pressing companies.

6.) operations = this is the part where you act as a band leader/manager. you organize everyone and give the band goals and action plans. this includes setting up rehearsals.

7.) skill building = the part where you build your musical foundation or learn basics and advanced techniques to apply it to your band's music/covers

8.) stage = playing onstage basically.

that's all i can think of ... so tell me, which one do you like best and which do you hate the most that you end up not doing it all the time?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:13:40 PM by IncX »

Offline rickbig41

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your Fave Job as a Band Member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »
2,5, tsaka 7,8, nagagawa ko yan, the rest, tamad ako gawin yang mga yan... or mahiyain talaga ako pag dating sa ibang yan, ...  :lol: pinapaubaya ko na yan sa mga kasama ko..
Those who did not learn from history are meant to repeat it...

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 09:54:33 PM »
Direction / Art Direction = Deciding the concept of everything: How the songs are written, the album artwork, merch designs, lyrical themes, and anything on the creative side.

On the business side, I think it's best to entrust it to someone not part of the band (a pro maybe). This way we can focus on the music/art.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 02:32:21 AM by samuelfianza »

Offline CeL1916

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »
Favorite kong ginagawa

2. Setlist building

Ibang ginagawa ko pa, na di ko man favorite o guustuhin ehh ako alaga gagawa:

6. Operations
7. Skill building
8. Stage

Yung 1,2 & 3 yung ibang members na gagawa, or friends/personal friends/band friends ayun sama sama lang

Yung 5. Merchandise di yata namin nagawa, pero kung nagawa namin tingin ko collaborative effort ng band..
PM Transaction References: Rmansh/Miong_Magno/Pentagram_x/Julandmic09/Vanhatred/Liway77/cyrus2477/jracz_28/ichigo02/
thenameisjm/teddy_munoz/Xelly/haha/ekoy08/kalel_23/sensei_24/lucky/drahcirnna24/r_chino/ilikecarrots

Offline IncX

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
saken, gusto ko lang talaga gawin is 8 (stage) .... pero halos lahat ginagawa ko. sobrang nahihirapan ako sa gig booking at marketing ... and di ko kaya yung art direction. wala talaga akong skills sa pag gawa ng logo or anything art related. kahit photoshop zero skills din ako.

Offline qroon

• Tanod
  • Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:54:43 PM »
Before we disbanded, mostly 1, 2, 7 and 8 yung role ko. And I enjoyed doing those. Dun sa part ng marketing, partly ginagawa ko with the band, we make blog posts and social media posts. Yung wife ko naman kumukuha ng pics and videos.

Semper Erectus
Spur | Helical | Bevel | Hypoid | Crown | Epicyclic