hulika

Author Topic: Pirated software!!  (Read 9955 times)

Offline vicsant

Pirated software!!
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:02:00 AM »
How do you guys feel about professional, commercial studios who use pirated software?

If you knew such a studio uses pirated software, would you give them your business?

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Pirated software!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 10:17:48 AM »
Turn them in.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »
Turn them in and then piss on their DAW...with the computer turned off, of course.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Pirated software!!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 12:08:18 PM »
Once you go commercial, it's no longer "Try before you buy".
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline balta

• Veteran Member
Pirated software!!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:33:12 PM »
if they're just starting i guess its ok but if they're already big and racking up all the money then they should go get the original programs already. They've earned from the product so much that at least they support it by buying a real one. It the honorable way! haha

but as of me I'm still learning I'm just a kid so.... no hating please! hahah

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 04:45:25 PM »
That is why you must by software bundles with your interfaces.  :D

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 06:24:56 PM »
kawawa naman kaming mga programmer pag lahat kayo pirated ginagamit nyo, mawawalan kami ng trabaho.. huhuhuh at pag nawala na kami at pag bumagsak na mga software companies wala ng gagawa ng mga software para sa inyo at yung mga kapwa programmer na lang ang makakagawa ng mga software na kailangan nila para na lang rin sa kanila na lang... wala na kayo mabibili

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 01:13:56 AM »
Quote from: bugoy
kawawa naman kaming mga programmer pag lahat kayo pirated ginagamit nyo, mawawalan kami ng trabaho.. huhuhuh at pag nawala na kami at pag bumagsak na mga software companies wala ng gagawa ng mga software para sa inyo at yung mga kapwa programmer na lang ang makakagawa ng mga software na kailangan nila para na lang rin sa kanila na lang... wala na kayo mabibili

Tama yan, pero sa Statistics meron tinatawag na CENTRAL TENDENCY.  Ginagamit ito ng mga software company para malaman kung ilan ang gumagamit ng authentic at pirated software copies.  Tapos, kino-compute nila ang losses nila sa piracy.  So para makabawi, tinataasan nila presyo ng software.  In other words, those who buy authentic software are "subsidizing" for the pirated versions.  Any businessman would not deny that.

Offline Sound Weavers

Pirated software!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk
those who buy authentic software are "subsidizing" for the pirated versions.  Any businessman would not deny that.

kaya mas lalo dapat i-report mga pirated. then the cost of licensed software may go down a bit.

for the "license" holders, there's also the number of "seats" - ay Inday, mahal talaga. ;)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
it's really very simple. if you're making money out of it then buy it. think of it as buying not just the right to use the software but the right to advertise as well.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline vicsant

Pirated software!!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 10:29:18 AM »
Tama yan, pero sa Statistics meron tinatawag na CENTRAL TENDENCY.  Ginagamit ito ng mga software company para malaman kung ilan ang gumagamit ng authentic at pirated software copies.  Tapos, kino-compute nila ang losses nila sa piracy.  So para makabawi, tinataasan nila presyo ng software.  In other words, those who buy authentic software are "subsidizing" for the pirated versions.  Any businessman would not deny that.

Now you know why our Meralco bill is outrageously high....cause we legitimate users have to pay for all the "pirated" electricity.  Isn't it an irony that the legitimate users are the ones who suffer? And the companies make it easy on themselves by taxing their legitimate customers instead of going after the theives.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
Quote from: vicsant

Now you know why our Meralco bill is outrageously high....cause we legitimate users have to pay for all the "pirated" electricity.  Isn't it an irony that the legitimate users are the ones who suffer? And the companies make it easy on themselves by taxing their legitimate customers instead of going after the theives.

Yes that's very true.  Yung tawag nil ata dun "distribution losses".  Forgot what it is to be found in your Meralco bill.  They also junked the PPA but replaced it with a new name.  In other words, legitimate consumers are paying for what they did not use.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Pirated software!!
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 10:52:51 AM »
Nah I don't think distribution losses are the "pirated" costs being subsidized by the honest consumer. It's more so about power actually getting "lost" as it travels from the generation plant to the home. Quite literally. Say if 35 KW were generated at the plant, only 32 or so get to the actual consumer. It's made up of energy from the power lines and transformers escaping into the environment either as heat or as stray EMF. It's gotta come from somewhere :D. Yun, we subsidize those "inefficiencies".

At any rate, if the software companies had the muscle, piracy is even a godsend to them as it becomes another source of revenue. Like if a company actually got caught using pirated Windows, they get fined P1Million per machine ! :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pirated software!!
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:45:46 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
Like if a company actually got caught using pirated Windows, they get fined P1Million per machine ! :D

yeah ginawa nila yan dahil i rerelease na dapat yung Vista, force nila mga office bumili ng orig na XP hehehe

Offline ksuayan

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Pirated software!!
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 01:54:16 AM »
Quote from: vicsant
How do you guys feel about professional, commercial studios who use pirated software?

If you knew such a studio uses pirated software, would you give them your business?

I betcha these commercial studios are the very same ones who complain whenever their own intellectual properties are stolen. Paying for commercial software is the right thing to do much in the same way as artists have all the rights to be justly compensated from their work.

-kyo-

Offline vicsant

Pirated software!!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:36 AM »
Quote from: BAMF
Nah I don't think distribution losses are the "pirated" costs being subsidized by the honest consumer. It's more so about power actually getting "lost" as it travels from the generation plant to the home. Quite literally. Say if 35 KW were generated at the plant, only 32 or so get to the actual consumer. It's made up of energy from the power lines and transformers escaping into the environment either as heat or as stray EMF. It's gotta come from somewhere :D. Yun, we subsidize those "inefficiencies".

At any rate, if the software companies had the muscle, piracy is even a godsend to them as it becomes another source of revenue. Like if a company actually got caught using pirated Windows, they get fined P1Million per machine ! :D

Well, maybe Meralco doesn't classify the pilfered electricity under distribution losses, but I'm very, very sure that paying customers are paying for pilfered power.  Got this info from someone from Meralco!

And I don't believe that pirated software will go away.  Hackers really love the challenge!

Offline xelalien

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »
up ko lang...

nakita ko sa news weeks ago, yung authorities nagsasagawa na ng raids laban sa mga sa mga corporate companies na gumagamit ng pirated software (probably mga pirated Windows na multi-installed sa lahat ng computers)...

sana hindi ningas-kugon ito...

And I don't believe that pirated software will go away.  Hackers really love the challenge!

with the emergence of P2P software & torrents, malabo nga... buhay pa rin yung thepiratebay.org eh...

Offline mikki_blinkme

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 01:01:01 AM »
sa tingin ko... pag dinownload means yung mga sources e just "SHARING". There's nothing wrong sa Sharing. Ang tunay na pirata e pag download "BINEBENTA". Pero may rights naman ang tao to select kung saan sila... Why yung mga companies ng mga softwares e tapatan yung presyo ng so called "Pirated" kahit palapitin lang ang presyo. I think ang nagsasuffer e hindi ang mga programmers e yung mga SALES/MARKETING/DEVELOPERS. Nakakatulong pa nga sa mga kapus sa pera.

Example:
Bumili ako ng WINDOWS 7 Original worth 7k kunwari. May barkada akong kapos ang pera para maglabas ng 7k para lang mag ka OS ang kanyang PC. So binurn ko sya ng COPY. E bumili na ako ng WINDOWS 7 so i have the rights I am now the owner of that CD/DVD and I have the rights to Share it for FREE. Ang PIRATED is Gumawa ako Copy for MASS Production at Binenta ko ito.

What if magtatayo ako ng maliit Computer/Internet Cafe with 15 PCs? 7k(W7) times 15 PCS . SOSMARYAHESUS!

Look at the indie developers... Very Cheap ang singil.

Pirated sa PINAS sa tingin ko nakakatulong sa MASA dusa ng MAYAYAMAN (Companies like MICROSOFT). Hayzst! Grabe nakakaawa microsoft nagugutom na mga tao dun.  :lol:

Offline deathkid

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 02:30:02 AM »

What if magtatayo ako ng maliit Computer/Internet Cafe with 15 PCs? 7k(W7) times 15 PCS . SOSMARYAHESUS!

gnun talaga :) support lang sa company

panalo mag orig na softwares..like windows.dami benefits same as mac :)

sa orig games din

lalo na sa orig DAW :)

-what if mag release ka ng album? gusto mo ba sa recto yun bibilhin? then walang babalik seu :) super simple as that   :-D
stagg lp400 white > nady wireless system > korg pitchblack > custom TS9 pedal with boost switch "VOLTS" > 6505+ 112 amp

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 02:37:12 AM »
Example:
Bumili ako ng WINDOWS 7 Original worth 7k kunwari. May barkada akong kapos ang pera para maglabas ng 7k para lang mag ka OS ang kanyang PC. So binurn ko sya ng COPY. E bumili na ako ng WINDOWS 7 so i have the rights I am now the owner of that CD/DVD and I have the rights to Share it for FREE. Ang PIRATED is Gumawa ako Copy for MASS Production at Binenta ko ito.
Hindi valid example mo bro kasi after mo ma-install ang legit na Windows 7 sa PC mo, di na ulit magagamit yung registration key sa ibang PC. That's the only right you have -- to install it to one PC be it yours or not UNLESS you paid for 3 licenses in that one DVD installer (aka volume licensing pero at 7k sa example mo siguradong 1 license lang yan).

Basically the "rights" you're pertaining to is LIMITED and does not include to share it for FREE. Ang PIRATED is pag pinahiram mo installer mo at ni-crack ng friend mo (coz that's the only way he can install it sa PC nya).

No phun intended. No offense meant.

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »

I do totally understand where you're coming from but the argument that nobody will make software anymore doesn't really hold true. It's much like how artists try to "scare" the public how people who get pirated won't make music anymore or something. At the end of the day, there are people who make music just because they love playing and making music. Much the same with programmers who make programs for the love of it (like those who release free programs that they make for the heck of it and some are even better than those for sale!).

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 04:12:50 AM »

Well, maybe Meralco doesn't classify the pilfered electricity under distribution losses, but I'm very, very sure that paying customers are paying for pilfered power.  Got this info from someone from Meralco!

And I don't believe that pirated software will go away.  Hackers really love the challenge!

Yup I was also told a couple of times by people from Meralco as well as some people from the power industry that we DO pay for pilfered power  :-o

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 04:17:15 AM »
Hindi valid example mo bro kasi after mo ma-install ang legit na Windows 7 sa PC mo, di na ulit magagamit yung registration key sa ibang PC. That's the only right you have -- to install it to one PC be it yours or not UNLESS you paid for 3 licenses in that one DVD installer (aka volume licensing pero at 7k sa example mo siguradong 1 license lang yan).

Basically the "rights" you're pertaining to is LIMITED and does not include to share it for FREE. Ang PIRATED is pag pinahiram mo installer mo at ni-crack ng friend mo (coz that's the only way he can install it sa PC nya).

No phun intended. No offense meant.

TRUE and to add to that, if one reads the EULA of particular types of software, it states that you're not allowed to install it on other machines. They say it differently from company to company but it's the same thing. Some licenses are only for those who bought it. Trying to "share" it because you bought it doesn't actually give one the right to but it happens. Otherwise, we could all just share from one source and the company never makes money and that would be a weird biz model. :)

Offline lovecore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 04:19:05 AM »
shucks old thread na pala to haha sorry :)

Either way, better to always go legit especially if you make a living out of the software :-D

Offline skyjammer

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:25:35 AM »
shucks old thread na pala to haha sorry :)
Kung di mo sinabi di ko napansin. hehe! Di ko pa kilala PM nung ni-post to. Almost half a decade old na pala...  :-D