hulika

Author Topic: The Free Plug Ins and Soundfonts Thread  (Read 163481 times)

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 02:52:21 PM »
plugins? fave ko yung waves..
Music is art in sound...

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 03:57:32 PM »
man, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about, you need to leave or keep those things to yourself. there is no bloody way Waves - in any form - is/was/will be legitimately availble for 100 pesos. None, and believe me, I know. I don't condone stealing stuff. period. Besides, this issue of piracy has already been talked about.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 06:14:49 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
man, if you are talking about what I think you are talking about, you need to leave or keep those things to yourself. there is no bloody way Waves - in any form - is/was/will be legitimately availble for 100 pesos. None, and believe me, I know. I don't condone stealing stuff. period. Besides, this issue of piracy has already been talked about.

+1

It's one thing to use them, it's even more appalling to brag about it. Besides, Waves has a copy protection scheme that is, in itself, appalling. :wink:  Do you use Waves, abyss? What did you think about PACE?
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »
To add more to this thread, these are some of the sets of free plugs that get extensive use in my plugins folder:

Kjaerhaus Audio Classic Series, here's an example of their auto-filter

and Voxengo's free offerings. The EssEQ, r8brain, and OldSkoolVerb get used a lot in my arsenal.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
there is no bloody way Waves - in any form - is/was/will be legitimately availble for 100 pesos

:lol:  ever.  mahal ang waves, mas mahal pa sa UA plugs i think.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 03:40:55 PM »
Kit, yeah, I am a hardcore fan of the Waves stuff. I own a Platinum Bundle that I bought about 2 years ago to help me complete some audio editing tasks I was doing for a local museum. I have used the bundle ever since and, although it would be good to have something cheaper, the software works very well and - I think - is the best at what it does. Bar none. For cleaning audio and repairing them, the Waves plugs have helped me work on some very tricky restorations. I worked on some Smithsonian archived audio and those old records were old, very noisy, and had clips all over the place. working with Waves made the task easier because it integrates well with Wavelab (my main audio editor) but it was still a long process of restoring the music to a digital format.

Moreover, I wouldn't really compare UA and Waves plugs simply becausee, even if it is for similar plugs like the analog based EQ models on the UAD-1 and the Waves bundles, all of them sound different. In the long run, you basically keep different EQs and compressors in your plug folder to use on specific tracks because there really isn't a one-for-all EQ, I've found.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
just kidding.. i got WAVES2 as a christmas gift hahahah GOT YOU!!!  i got native 1 as a bundle to my AUDIOMEDIA III card. yes you are RIGHT ABYSS.. waves is good and my fave.. but expensive ( yup  starfugger)
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Not a plugin but still free before it reaches 1.xx status...

Reaper!  - Rapid Environment for Audio Prototyping and Efficient Recording

Get it while it's free. It looks like Acid and it has support for looping. Supports midi, VST/DXi effects and the so-called Jesusonic effects. Haven't tried it yet but hey, it's free!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2006, 03:10:20 PM »
Here's another sequencer/vst host that's free for now. Scheduled formal release is this month so get it while it's hot!

Sonicbytes' Phrazor

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2006, 12:10:56 PM »
Angular Momentums is a site that regularly gives out free synths and sample loops all for the cost of registering (free) with them. They have the usual 303 clones, analog emulations; their newest offering is a wave table synth. They also have some reasonably priced commercial offerings as well as donationware.

I've tried most of their synths and downloaded a lot of loops from their site already, but I haven't even gotten to 10% of the hundreds (if not thousands) of free loops there! Lots of good, license free material on their site.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2006, 04:59:11 PM »
Free Moog anyone?

Scroll down and he's also giving away an Arp 2600!

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 09:11:56 AM »
for linux and mac osx:

Ardour is a digital audio workstation. You can use it to record, edit and mix multi-track audio. Produce your own CD's. Mix video soundtracks. Experiment with new ideas about music and sound. Generate sound installations for 12 speaker gallery shows. Have Fun.

Ardour capabilities include: multichannel recording, non-linear, non-destructive region based editing with unlimited undo/redo, full automation support, a mixer whose capabilities rival high end hardware consoles, lots of plugins to warp, shift and shape your music, and controllable from hardware control surfaces at the same time as it syncs to timecode. If you've been looking for a tool similar to ProTools, Nuendo, Cubase SX, Digital Performer, Samplitude or Sequoia, you might have found it.

http://www.ardour.org/
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »
KitC
how do you control the mogue and the other software? external kybrd or mouse?
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 05:29:14 PM »
Quote from: BALDO
KitC
how do you control the mogue and the other software? external kybrd or mouse?

Both. Sometimes when I'm too lazy to play things live, I draw in notes with my mouse and adjust velocities in the sequencer's piano roll view. When using a controller for this kind of synth, it is preferable that your controller has alternative controls such as assignable knobs and sliders for realtime control of parameters. Midi CC# controls are often involved. Conversely, you can draw in envelopes with a mouse to control and fine tune those same parameters.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:11 AM »
THANKS PARENG KITC..
you are indeed a guru of some sort..* bow*.~~~
i will try that moog on my days off.. i hope it is worth it..what do you think of REASON and REBIRTH??
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 12:45:57 PM »
THANKS PARENG KITC..
you are indeed a guru of some sort..* bow*.~~~
i will try that moog on my days off.. i hope it is worth it..what do you think of REASON and REBIRTH??

Rebirth is already free for download here. There is absolutely no need to have a cracked copy in your HD for this. Even all the mods for rebirth are available for download as well as submitted songs and the like. Piracy was the reason for Propellerhead to 'retire' Rebirth and there will be no more development. So, to all others who don't support software developers, this is a direct result of your activities. Do the right thing, pay for your software so that we can be assured of continuous development and innovations.

I have the Reason demo. It's ok but it screws up my Cubase VST32 because it takes control of 64 Rewire audio channels!  :shock:  I can't insert vst synths as a result and I can't download the Propellerhead fix for this. Might have to order the full version abroad again. Tsaka na... I just ordered my Sonar 5 upgrade with Project 5 V2 deal.

Offline BALDO

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 01:32:53 PM »
KITC
thanks again pards.. kasi naririnig ko lang yang Reason at Rebirth dito sa kasama kong latino. maload nga yang rebirth na yan..kaso nde ako masyado sa synth sounds, pang guitar lang ako.. 8)  ..but thanks anyway..
Music is art in sound...

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 02:25:43 PM »
KITC
thanks again pards.. kasi naririnig ko lang yang Reason at Rebirth dito sa kasama kong latino. maload nga yang rebirth na yan..kaso nde ako masyado sa synth sounds, pang guitar lang ako.. 8)  ..but thanks anyway..

Pre,

Lang anuman. Always a pleasure to help a fellow musician.

Rebirth isn't always about synth sounds. Try loading some of the mods, you will find hiphop sounds, house, pati ata rock! Pero Rebirth is mostly dance-oriented. The problem with Rebirth? Di nya kaya ang odd meters katulad ng 7/8 et al. I think kaya ng Reason pero I honestly never took the time to find out.

Offline lucy_monostone

Re: The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 04:16:14 AM »
Quote from: KitC
Believe it or not, these are real plugins:

Downloadable from here: http://www.pxe.buntweb.de/

Dude, may alam ka bang VST plug-in na Metalzone, Metalizer or anything na heavy?? and umm.. can these VST plugins (lets say a metalzone vst plugin) really make a clean record of a guitar (plugged directly into the pc using Adobe Audition) the way it actually sounds when you're playing your guitar with real amps and guitar fx?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 11:08:15 AM »
Quote from: lucy_monostone

Dude, may alam ka bang VST plug-in na Metalzone, Metalizer or anything na heavy?? and umm.. can these VST plugins (lets say a metalzone vst plugin) really make a clean record of a guitar (plugged directly into the pc using Adobe Audition) the way it actually sounds when you're playing your guitar with real amps and guitar fx?

First of all, unless Roland/Boss directly makes it or licenses the technology, walang gagawa ng direct copy of the Metalzone due to copyright issues. The soft clone will try to approach the sound as closely as possible; some actually nail the sound but can't use the Metalzone name due to copyright. There are emulators that come close to the sounds you're looking for. Among the best is NI Guitar Rig and Amplitube2. Since I don't play guitars and haven't used either product, I can't comment on their sound save for what I read in reviews. Maybe abyss or Baldo can add their comments.

Secondly, plugging a guitar direct may not give you the tone you want primarily because of impedance mismatching. It would be better to run the guitar thru a DI/preamp with line level outs then connecting those line outputs to the line inputs of your soundcard. Some of the more expensive soundcards include Hi-Z inputs for direct connection of guitars bypassing the need for a preamp.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2006, 02:34:13 AM »
Free Spectral Manipulation Plugin!!!

Just hot off the presses a free FFT plugin that can do impressive parametric equalization.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »
hey that looks interesting Kit.  found these a couple of minutes ago. will give it a try in the studio.  

PhaseTone is a FREE frequency-dependent phase rotation and correction plugin.

PhaseTone allows you to manipulate the phase of your signal across a user-definable frequency range, with options for creating different phase and time-based offsets (if desired) for the left and right channels of a stereo signal.

Similar to hardware boxes popular for correcting phase relationships between signal-pairs such as bass DI and bass mics and top/bottom snare mics, PhaseTone goes a little further.

By allowing the user to select the center frequency and Q of the phase process, PhaseTone allows for more creative manipulation of phase when mixing, producing effects with more EQ like results, increasing clarity and removing mud.

And, best of all, it's free!

ColorTone is a ?ĺTone Box?Ĺ which simulates the signal path of analog devices through the use of convolution and various proprietary non-linear processes. ColorTone is designed to provide analog-like character and flavor to the modern digital audio workstation.

ColorTone is available in two formats: ColorTone-Pro and ColorTone-Free.

ColorTone-Pro allows the user to load their own samples (instructions for sampling your own equipment are included) and provides the user with our custom-coded Warmth algorithm to enhance the signal-path with extra harmonic goodness.

ColorTone-Free is another free plugin from TriTone Digital.

ColorTone-Free provides the user with a preset group of classic signal-path samples. ColorTone-Free cannot load new samples and does not contain the Warmth algorithm.

Both versions of ColorTone allow the user to multiply the color of the selected circuit, increasing the color from the standard character to several times the original color.

http://www.tritonedigital.com/download.htm

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2006, 12:39:46 AM »
Thanks for adding to our growing list, Hazel! :D

I checked my freeware folder and saw the tritone plugs already there; I can't believe I've accumulated what appears to be 3 gigs of free stuff including sounds for my free copy of Wusikstation (which came with my CM mag). I have yet to try the spectral plug but I'm a fan of spectral manipulation ever since I was able to remove some ghost vocals from a tape recording using Audition's spectral editing. That same spectral editing got a lot of use removing crackles, hiss and other unwanted sounds from the Jam 3 project at the 'other' forum.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2006, 10:55:07 AM »
Freeware sampler: Kotkas Paax 2.

Many users claim this is the best free sampler out there.

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
The Free Plug Ins Thread
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2006, 05:58:17 PM »
whoa, that's a lot!  thanks for sampler. been looking for one. keep 'em coming!