hulika

Author Topic: Are Frequency matters in stereo amplifier?  (Read 1427 times)

Offline ranzky72

Are Frequency matters in stereo amplifier?
« on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
Experts can you please share your thoughts about this?

Some technicians say, It is ok to use a 230 Volt/50 HZ stereo amplifier do you agree with this?

Is there any future effect on your stereo amplifier in times of power interruption particularly in the Philippines?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:38:07 PM by ranzky72 »
Music adds years to your life, it is a source of inspiration, expression and stress relief.

Offline ranzky72

Re: Are Frequency matters in stereo amplifier?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 01:58:30 PM »
Answer from Google;

Many people believe (and will tell you) that the small frequency difference (50Hz vs. 60Hz) is insignificant, but this is not true. Many products intended solely for the US markets will have the transformer made for 60Hz. This has the advantage of making the transformer smaller than it would be if it could also handle 50Hz. Indeed, an advantage of 60Hz mains is that all transformers and induction motors are smaller than the 50Hz equivalent. The alternative is that in some cases, a 60Hz and 50Hz transformer may be the same physical size, but a 60Hz only version can use lower grade (and therefore cheaper) steel laminations.
If a transformer is designed specifically for 60Hz, and understanding that this makes for a smaller and/or cheaper transformer than would be the case if it could also handle 50Hz, why would anyone assume that this 60Hz tranny will work fine at 50Hz? The answer (predictably) is that it will not. An initial quick check will usually not show the problem ... it may need to be left on for a while before anything shows up. The problem is heat - the transformer will get (much) get hotter than normal, and may easily reach a dangerous temperature that will cause failure.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:24:23 PM by ranzky72 »
Music adds years to your life, it is a source of inspiration, expression and stress relief.

Offline ranzky72

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »
Answer from one of my friend who has an experience on Electronics appliances.
Credit to: Mr. P.G.

Base sa theory, ang transformer or power supply system ng stereo amps, the number of turns naka design siya sa ratio between input voltage and frequency ratio (V/F). So if frequency is reduced, then (V/F) ratio increases and there will not be sufficient number of turns to prevent transformer from reaching core saturations. So transformer will draw much higher current from the main which getting hotter leading to failure. So kung ang appliances natin ay 220V/50Hz gamiten sa 220v/60hz, pwede naman pero may possibility na magkaroon ng kunting problema later, kasi ang power supply will reduces drawn current and hence transformer will run little cooler. That’s why it will affect small amount of the output sounds because it will not reach to exact capacity that requires good quality output of sounds.

Offline ranzky72

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »
I guess this is similar thread topic so I just want to share it might be informative for you :-)

Will a Japanese turntable works in the US?

Recently I found a good deal on a direct drive DJ turntable which was manufactured for the japanese market. I know japanese consumer electronics run on 100V while US runs on 120V. I have heard conflicting things on whether this would be an issue. It seems like the turntable would likely run but I have heard some reports that this difference in voltage might eventually damage it. Is a power adaptor a permanent solution to this problem? Is a power adaptor even necessary?
posted by bigspoon

It would help to know the make/model of turntable. Electricity in Japan seems a little weird. Most turntables use AC synchronous motors; if the turntable in question isn't "quartz-locked" or something similar, it will run at the wrong speed (20% too fast) in the US if it was made for 50Hz AC power. It's also possible that the voltage difference could be a big deal, depending on the power electronics. If there are any DC components inside, the power rectification, voltage regulation, etc, will all be dealing with 20% higher voltages than designed for. Even if it works, everything will run hotter and longevity may be compromised. In the worst case, something explodes, melts, or catches on fire.

I would probably go with a step-up/down transformer like this, which you could consider a permanent solution. (Note: I don't have specific experience with that particular transformer. It was just the first result on Amazon.) The transformer will address 120V vs 100V concerns, but it won't fix any speed issues you may have if the frequency of the AC synchronous motor power is directly derived from the frequency of the mains power and the turntable was designed for 50Hz AC.

If the turntable has a switching power supply, it might safely Just Work without modification, depending on the specifications of the power supply.
posted by strangecargo at 4:18 PM on December 16, 2014

Offline gandydancer123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
thanks for the share! pang mga hi-fi, audiophiles afficionados ..pasok!
*RC MUSIC EMPORIUM *
PEDALS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE
PM: http://talk.philmusic.com/index.php?topic=283433.0      FB: https://www.facebook.com/RcMusicEmporium

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 09:58:48 AM »
if you're open minded frequency matters  :wink:
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:39:48 AM »
*Kroo kroo kroo*
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »
Nobody cares

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd rather be sharp than flat.