hulika

Author Topic: Setting up your PC for Recording  (Read 306213 times)

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Setting up your PC for Recording
« Reply #1175 on: May 17, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
ano audio interface mo?

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1176 on: May 17, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »
thanks sir xelly  :mrgreen:

pede ko pa pala isagad sa 4096..
for the meantime pag mag mimix ng intensive..habang wala pa pambili bago..

sa ram talaga nauubos ung 8 Gb di kaya..pagdatin sa plugins ..

Ano bang gamit mong plug-ins bro? Mukhang matakaw sa ram plugins mo ah?

Offline balinese

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1177 on: May 17, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
T Racks po..  :mrgreen:

mga emulation ng LA-2A, Puigtec EQP 1A, Fairchild 670, 1176..Echo Flex Tape echo,Linear Phase EQ, mga vintage emulator
medyu matakaw siguro..i love the GUI and how they sound ..

lalo na pag marami ng tracks..nauubos po ram hehe..

ano audio interface mo?

mbox mini lang po,,
me epekto po ba un?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:46:39 PM by balinese »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1178 on: May 18, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »
I use Protools Le 8.. and T-racks  plugins..
kaso pag 40+ tracks na po pataas aguy.. kinakapos na system ko..

1.ok lang ba na ung buffer size ko eh 2046 na? since im not recording naman mixing lang
2. will SSD Drive advisable for an upgrade?
3. Ok lang ba mag AMD? mura kasi compare sa i7
im planning to sell my unit and other stuff just to get an upgrade eto po nirecommend sakin..

Protools is more 'friendly' with Intel than AMD so there should be no problems with your i5. I'm sensing a configuration problem.

In answer to your questions:
1. 2046 is ok for mixing. can't recall the max level in protools, but use it if you want the most cpu power for plugins.
2. SSDs are great but rather small in capacity for the cost. Try a 7200 rpm drive if you can get one and see if you can fit another drive in the laptop.
3. AMDs are indeed cheaper; I started out as an AMD user but had to bow down to Intel's better performance. Also refer to my above statement.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline balinese

• Netizen Level
« Reply #1179 on: May 18, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »
@sir KitC

thank you for the response..

i guess baguhin ko na lang po ung build ill go for the i7 na lang..to follow na lang ibang parts..

4096 po ung max na buffer in my case..
ok naman po ung i5 8gb ram..hangang mga 24 ++ na tracks..
pero pag 40 plus na po talagang di na kaya kaya bina babaan ko ung buffer size

i have no choice but to upgrade..

Offline lowmid

« Reply #1180 on: May 22, 2013, 12:27:45 PM »
Regarding latency. I'm using vsti cakewalk tts1 for midi sequencing. The lowest buffer I can get on Asio is 320. It is possible to achieve 128 or lower buffer if I use usb audio interface? My pc is Intel Dual Core T3500 Celeron 2.1GHz, 2gb memory.

Offline dbths1987

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1181 on: May 23, 2013, 01:56:41 PM »
Mga Sirs,  Pwede magtanong po? anu-anong  computer stores  na nagbibinta ng PCI or PCIe firewire card na may TI chipset?  Pakihingi ng contact sa mga stores na yan po. thank u.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1182 on: May 26, 2013, 04:02:15 PM »
4096 po ung max na buffer in my case..
ok naman po ung i5 8gb ram..hangang mga 24 ++ na tracks..
pero pag 40 plus na po talagang di na kaya kaya bina babaan ko ung buffer size

What is your soundcard?

My rig is a rather ancient Q6600 with 4 gigs of DDR2 ram. I can easily do 40 audio tracks at max latency of 100 ms (no buffer setting on the 'ol 1820m). I'm thinking you got loads of reverbs and other cpu hogging plugins in most of your tracks.

The secret with plugin management is to be judicious with the heavy hitters. At most, I got one really good reverb and may 2 other ok verbs for non-critical tracks. I then place these in aux busses so I can route specific tracks to specific fx as needed. I very rarely dedicate plugins to tracks, preferring to mix with an 'analog state of mind'.

Back in the analog days, it was very rare to have a specific processor for each track. The best management of outboard fx was to route them to aux busses and have certain tracks share a particular effect. Sometimes a studio could only afford one good reverb and compressor so they had to be very creative in using these. Thinking in the same vein helps in how you utilize limited resources.

Same with the present day... If your cpu is bogging down, try to freeze certain tracks, especially those that sound close to the final mix. If you have softsynths embedded in the tracks, freeze those first (without fx) and work on the audio itself. Limit the number of cpu hogging plugins in your tracks. Oftentimes, you will find that less is more (I hate cliches, but this is often true).
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1183 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:25 PM »
Mga Sirs,  Pwede magtanong po? anu-anong  computer stores  na nagbibinta ng PCI or PCIe firewire card na may TI chipset?  Pakihingi ng contact sa mga stores na yan po. thank u.

Go to greenhills. Belkin usually makes TI firewire chipsets, but I think you will find that firewire is becoming rare nowadays.

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1184 on: June 04, 2013, 10:02:51 AM »
Good day guys, I have a question about a set up that I was thinking about. I have a toneport ux1 and a 12 channel soundcraft mixer. I was thinking of recording drums, all of the mics will be connected and balanced using the mixer and the L/R output will be routed to the L/R input of the ux1 ( I know that I can't make individual adjustments on my daw once the record gets in, since in will only be 2 tracks panned left and right, but I know I can balance everything on the mixer before it gets it my daw) anyone tried this kind of set up before? Hope you can share your inputs, thanks!

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1185 on: June 04, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »
Maybe just use one channel for the kick and the other channel for the overheads? That way you simply use a kick mic and condensers for the overheads. Just so you don't run into phase issues. Mic placement is key here. Unless you still want stereo separation, then use a couple of overheads. If i only had limited tracks, that's what i'd probably do.

Good day guys, I have a question about a set up that I was thinking about. I have a toneport ux1 and a 12 channel soundcraft mixer. I was thinking of recording drums, all of the mics will be connected and balanced using the mixer and the L/R output will be routed to the L/R input of the ux1 ( I know that I can't make individual adjustments on my daw once the record gets in, since in will only be 2 tracks panned left and right, but I know I can balance everything on the mixer before it gets it my daw) anyone tried this kind of set up before? Hope you can share your inputs, thanks!
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline jake z

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1186 on: June 05, 2013, 07:48:31 AM »
Maybe just use one channel for the kick and the other channel for the overheads? That way you simply use a kick mic and condensers for the overheads. Just so you don't run into phase issues. Mic placement is key here. Unless you still want stereo separation, then use a couple of overheads. If i only had limited tracks, that's what i'd probably do.

actually every mic will have their separate channel on the mixer. I've been reading things about this set up and I'm seeing good outcomes, I just hope it works for me too. About mic placement, let me work on that once I have the mics, btw, I was looking at a 7 pc carol drum mic set, is it decent enough to give good sound or should I stick to this?

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/13269991/Shure+Drumkit+7+kit?referralKeywords=drum+mic&event=Search+Ranking,Position,1-18,18#advertisementDetails

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1187 on: June 07, 2013, 09:36:03 PM »
Hello. I've been recently researching on a good but cheap usb audio interface and I came across Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Saffire 6.
My budget is around 6-7k :P

Which would you recommend?

Thanks for all your help :)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1188 on: June 15, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
Focusrite is usually a good investment. Check out SoS' for their reviews; this should give you an idea, though:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/articles/focusrite-scarlett.htm

Offline julsam

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #1189 on: June 17, 2013, 12:41:08 PM »
Focusrite is usually a good investment. Check out SoS' for their reviews; this should give you an idea, though:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb12/articles/focusrite-scarlett.htm

Thank you so much Sir! Still on a hunt for a relatively cheap but quality interface. This will help a lot

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1190 on: June 22, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
Thank you so much Sir! Still on a hunt for a relatively cheap but quality interface. This will help a lot

When in doubt, go for the middle ground as long as it provides the number of inputs and features you require. It often pays to go for branded stuff, but try lurking in the manufacturer's user forums... usually brings up signs of potential problems. You will have to separate the user error complaints, though, and there can be a lot of those.

Offline --randz--

« Reply #1191 on: June 24, 2013, 07:59:27 AM »

I have an M-audio Avid Recording but with only 2 inputs. 2 years ko na ginagamit pero ok pa din..
try to check JB Music.. may downpour sale sila..

Offline calunsagjed

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1192 on: July 03, 2013, 12:10:12 AM »
sir, this is very helpful, im just a newbie in recording
i've got a presonus firestation without the CD as it's software, now the problem
is i don't know what recording software is compatible to this interface and
how to get it/download it...
i need help sir...thanks!

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1193 on: July 03, 2013, 12:33:30 AM »
sir, this is very helpful, im just a newbie in recording
i've got a presonus firestation without the CD as it's software, now the problem
is i don't know what recording software is compatible to this interface and
how to get it/download it...
i need help sir...thanks!

I think checking the product website would help you know more about the item.
http://www.presonus.com/products/FIREstation/downloads

usually, an interface needs to be installed so you need to have its drivers.

about the recording software, since its ASIO capable, you shouldn't have any problem about its compatibility with recording software since ASIO driver is generally used by almost every recording software.
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline calunsagjed

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #1194 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:43 PM »
salamat po sir!!! maraming salamat!!!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1195 on: July 05, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
i don't know what recording software is compatible to this interface

try to go to the presonus site and see if you can download the cd there.

as for software, try Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/

you can use it without buying, but since it is only $60, it is a good investment.

Offline kym005

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1196 on: July 06, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »
Good day.

Anong software po ba ang pasok sa characteristics na hinahanap ko.

1. User-friendly
3. Simple interface
2. Guitar recording
3. Voice recording
4. Minimal effects, options, & other technical stuff (I'm bad at tweaking)

OPTIONAL: may drumkit

PC specs: AMD Phenom II Triple-Core 2.1Ghz, 4Gb Ram

Thanks in advance!  :-)

PS: Wala akong interface. Direct guitar cable to PC ang magiging set-up ko. Not pursuing the pro sound, just good enough to be put in my mp3 player.
Mark 11:24

For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Offline Xelly

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1197 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:26 PM »
Good day.

Anong software po ba ang pasok sa characteristics na hinahanap ko.

1. User-friendly
3. Simple interface
2. Guitar recording
3. Voice recording
4. Minimal effects, options, & other technical stuff (I'm bad at tweaking)

OPTIONAL: may drumkit

PC specs: AMD Phenom II Triple-Core 2.1Ghz, 4Gb Ram

Thanks in advance!  :-)

PS: Wala akong interface. Direct guitar cable to PC ang magiging set-up ko. Not pursuing the pro sound, just good enough to be put in my mp3 player.

Eto bro:
try to go to the presonus site and see if you can download the cd there.

as for software, try Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/

you can use it without buying, but since it is only $60, it is a good investment.
Pero walang drumkit yan

Offline kym005

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1198 on: July 06, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »
^
Mas madali ba siya gamitin kaysa Ableton? Meron ako Ableton pero nahihirapan ako intindihin eh.
Mark 11:24

For this reason I tell you, whatever you pray and ask for, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #1199 on: July 06, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
^
Mas madali ba siya gamitin kaysa Ableton? Meron ako Ableton pero nahihirapan ako intindihin eh.

afaik, ableton already has a drumkit but you have to think in terms of pattern sequencing.