hulika

Author Topic: PORK PIE Drums thread  (Read 7647 times)

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
PORK PIE Drums thread
« on: October 14, 2006, 10:29:41 PM »
astig 2nog nito
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
What can u say about the pork pie drums?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »
dami kong nababasa na positive reviews sa net about those drums pero never tried one first-hand
meron ka?
akin na lang
heheheheheh

seriously, meron ka nga?
magkano score mo?

Offline drummerboy827

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »
Nakagamit na ako
"Fast practice = slow progress"
"Slow practice = fast progress"

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »
I've tried a 12" Pork Pie snare drum at 19 East.  I believe it's the 12" Little Squealer model, and it sounded really punchy, as long as it's tuned right.

Joseph "Otep" Conception and John Angeles (MYMP) own and play Pork Pie snare drums.

Pork Pies are custom-built, American-made drums in general.  They make great-looking and great-sounding drums, though di ko lang type yung hourglass-design lugs nila.

Pork Pie Drums has a website ---> http://www.porkpiedrums.com/ .

8)

Offline fredzs

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 06:18:17 PM »
I have a Black Nickle Finish Over Brass 6.5x14 Snare.

1.5mm Brass Shell. Ok sya.. Poor Man's Black Beauty as they call it. Rings beautifully but it can be controlled with the right tuning. I personally like my snare ringy, more of a Pangy kind of sound. Ang lalim rin ng sound and cracks like no other. Go Pork Pie :)

Here's a Pic.

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 08:12:36 PM »
looks great!

Offline Gep

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 01:41:58 PM »
Nakita ko yung Piglite nung drummer ng Hale. Ok din ang tunog nun ha.  :wink:

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
I fell in love with the little squealer!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
seriously.  a client brought in his Pork Pie Little Squealer snare drum.  when i hit the record button, i had to get up and check my signal path ... that thing sounded like it was being compressed right off the bat!  VERY NICE, hardly any overtones.  all the muffling that snare had was a 1 inch dot right under the remo logo.  and the size? 5X12! what??? it sounded a lot fuller than that actually.  i asked the client why it sounded so much like WOOD.  because it is, maple in fact.  didn't notice, no laquer or anything, just a black little innocent looking snare drum.  the best part is it costs only 170 USD.  hay ... gas galore.
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline fredzs

Re: I fell in love with the little squealer!
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:13 PM »
It is indeed a good drum. I also tried it when I was snare hunting last summer. LOL! I wanted to get it. But I was looking for a deeper more fuller snare. And got a Big Black instead.  :-)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 01:07:59 PM »
huwaw. that's a pork pie too right? i saw some going for 350 or so .... how does it compare toi the squealer.  i would really love to get that jason mraz snare sound ... kinda like the one in "you and i"...
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline fredzs

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 01:11:48 PM »
huwaw. that's a pork pie too right? i saw some going for 350 or so .... how does it compare toi the squealer.  i would really love to get that jason mraz snare sound ... kinda like the one in "you and i"...

Yes. It's a Pork Pie too.  :-) It sounds big and deep. Very wide tuning range too. Can be deep and full-bodied as hell. and can get a really nice loud crack. LOL! Sounds very different from the Little Squealer. I currently have no soundclips of it. But they call this the Poor Man's Black Beauty. LOL!  :lol:

Offline pmack

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 03:09:05 PM »
yeah, the little squealer is a top sounding snare.
and mura pa.
i got the chance to try the maple and an acrylic version and man, the maple version is so much fuller and lovlier. if only i hadn't already bought a snare before i saw the little sqealer (im not really complaining really). pero grabe, kung kasya sa 2 snares yung budget ko nun, binili ko na pati yan. :)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 08:18:23 PM »
naiisip isip ko parin sya up to now, but im wondering about ferdzs' Big Black.  Lol, this could lead to a very bad ending (i.e. budget going where it really shouldn't).  guys, san nyo nabili (or balak bilin) yung prok pie snares nyo? online purchase ba? did u have to pay for shipping and taxes? mga magkano kaya? thanks :)

the reason why i said the little squealer sounded like it was being compressed (even without compression) was because it had that familiar snap, a kind of enhanced but warm attack achieved through the use of a compressor.  nice talag sya, FOR THE PRICE ... sobrang panalo.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:22:46 PM by starfugger »

Offline fredzs

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 09:14:05 PM »
I got mine from Guitar Center nung summer. Hehe.. :) If you want that snap, yet retain the body ?? I suggest the 7x13 Acrylic PigLite. MAGANDA SYA. I had a hard time deciding between the Piglite and Big Black. Actually, I'm regretting, sana kinuha ko yung PigLite. LOL!

Astig pa tignan!  :lol: If you're gonna buy a snare, I highly recommend the Piglite if you're looking for that Snap or Crack like you said, Yet still retain the body of a deep drum. :)

Offline Eni

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 09:36:03 PM »
ganda tlaga porkpie snares. ung acrylic

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 08:22:40 AM »
palaki ng palaki ang potential gastos. haha.  salamat sa feedback, i'll check out the acrylic stuff ... hrrrrrmmmm.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 09:48:55 AM »
naiisip isip ko parin sya up to now, but im wondering about ferdzs' Big Black.  Lol, this could lead to a very bad ending (i.e. budget going where it really shouldn't).  guys, san nyo nabili (or balak bilin) yung prok pie snares nyo? online purchase ba? did u have to pay for shipping and taxes? mga magkano kaya? thanks :)

the reason why i said the little squealer sounded like it was being compressed (even without compression) was because it had that familiar snap, a kind of enhanced but warm attack achieved through the use of a compressor.  nice talag sya, FOR THE PRICE ... sobrang panalo.

try the 10" snare of mr. tito marquez. you won't be disappointed.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 10:01:39 AM »
thnaks marvin. is that the snare in your durmmers video (the first one?? if so Ii love it!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »
it's the smaller snare in the bigger drumkit. the one with the cocktail kit is an 8"
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 01:41:26 PM »
you might wanna try sonor's jungle snare. it's a 10x2 snare with tambourine jingles. got it at HK$1000. if you wanna try it out, feel free to pass by my studio at betterliving...

then again, it might not be what you're looking for. it doesn't have the body of a 6" deep snare.

sorry, i don't think i'm helping your budget... haha.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 01:44:49 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2006, 01:51:06 AM »
too many stuff to little money! lol.  thanks marvin.  where's your studio at? i would love to hear your custom made drums :) and share studio stuff as well ...

thanks!

Offline killuaxp

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2006, 06:26:22 AM »
di ko alam pinag uusapan niyo mga master... baka pwd post nmn kau pix nun. ty! :-)

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2006, 08:13:53 AM »

Offline musicianurse28

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: PORK PIE Drums thread
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
Pork Pie!!!!

May local dealer na ba tayo ng Pork Pie? Pansin ko ibang mga local artist naten naka Pork Pie na e. Otep Cooncepcion, John Angeles, Vic Mercado to name a few.

Gusto ko ng Acrylic Piglite! GAS attack!  :cry:
Planning for a Band Rehearsal Studio business. Baka may alam kayong space for rent around QC area lang. Please PM me. Thank you.

Offline Riff_6603

• Philmusicus Moderatus
  • Prime Moderator
Re: PORK PIE Drums thread
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2010, 09:33:48 PM »
Pork Pie!!!!

May local dealer na ba tayo ng Pork Pie? Pansin ko ibang mga local artist naten naka Pork Pie na e. Otep Cooncepcion, John Angeles, Vic Mercado to name a few.

Gusto ko ng Acrylic Piglite! GAS attack!  :cry:

wala PA pero pwede naman special order kay sir vincher or kay wireme! :wink: