hulika

Author Topic: hardware processors and their plug-in counterparts?  (Read 4489 times)

Offline GerardSalonga

Re: hardware processors and their plug-in counterparts?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:24 AM »
Actually he didn't say "nakabalot yung mix".  He said "nakabalot tayo".  In my best English translation:  the mix wraps around us.  He even thought the pro tools one was warmer if you can believe that :-)

less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »
angee rocks!!!  wow.  that's amazing.  loss for words.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
Hay naku...  I think the major difference is when you hear things tracked on 2", and mixed to 1/2" on a nice analog console.  Once the mix hits hard disks no matter how nice your converters are, you'll never be able to hear any discernable difference.  Which makes me think a more valid test would be:

PROTOOLS TDM vs. PURE ANALOG test:

1.  Get one common studio, common mics, common instruments, common performers, and the takes should be split to 2 signals - one going to PT and the other to Analog.
2.  Use mic splitters to two signals each- one to analog, one to PT.
3.  Dapat ang mix may GOAL - say, "I want the mix to sound like <place pre-Protools recorded hit song here>"
4.  Use strictly outboard equipment for analog on a quality board like an SSL, Neve, Amek, etc.
5.  On PT, use plugins strictly, and ITB mixing lang.
6.  Mix analog 1/2" and listen to the final 2-bus mix.  Compare to ITB mix of that of PT.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 12:28:21 PM »
i'm going with gerard's "indian and arrow" thing.

good and bad music will be made regardless of format, whether analog or digital, or imagined.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:40:20 PM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 12:35:06 PM »
i'm going with gerard "indian and arrow" thing.

good and bad music will be made regardless of format, whether analog or digital, or imagined.

Very true indeed.  Makes me think that the recording-less era (Classical) was probably when people were most disciplined.

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »
i don't agree. i'm sure there were poorly made music too during those times. they just didn't stand the test of time...

============
Marvin Querido

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 12:47:56 PM »
i don't agree. i'm sure there were poorly made music too during those times. they just didn't stand the test of time...

You have a point... Di lang siya na-record.  Think Salieri? (Is this guy a joke?)

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
Both points are valid to me.  People didn't know what an overdub was, and punch-ins hadn't been invented yet, so it was all about performance.  Then again, things are fleeting in a live performance.  A botched note leaves as quickly as it came, whereas in a recording, mistakes are multiplied by the number of times you play the record, times the number of people hearing it.  :-)
less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 01:06:41 PM »
Maybe sometimes it's more of an advantage when you have to commit to a sound while tracking.  There's more discipline required of the performer and there's a deeper sense of ownership of parts because it'll stick unless you want to hassle everybody else.  So part of me wants to go with hardware gear recording to a non-editable (well...editable but with a lot of work) media like tape.  But the advent of digital has brought so many plus points too.

So, do you guys think the ability to edit sounds after the recorded performance has any adverse effects?

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 01:12:04 PM »
yeah, the tendency to be lazy, and fix it in the mix, even when a better performance only requires a little more work.
============
Marvin Querido

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 01:20:21 PM »
oo nga!  that's a great point.  tapos hirap magdagdag ng parts kasi may naririnig ka na half-baked tuwing playback.  :x

Offline markthevirtuoso

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 08:07:58 AM »
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=49&itemid=25669

yup. challenge you ears. i've seen several posts by people who claim to be able to tell the difference between software plug-ins and the hardware they're trying to emulate. now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is.... 8-)

thanks to george estregan for the link... i just thought this might be better off in another thread.

Pheew, ngayon lang ako nagkaroon ng oras para masubukan ito, to see if my ears are trained enough to discern the difference. So far i got perfect scores for the Smooth Jazz and Hard Rock challenges.  I'll check out the Alt. Rock tomorrow (antok na ako) too see if things were just a "chamba" coming from me.haha :-D

I find that the guitars, bass, sax and snare really had subtle differences - i listened to it many times before i could figure - the others i just can't tell. But I have yet to find out if i'm really "hearing" things right.  :-)
Fidelity means a horrible noise sounds like a horrible noise.