hulika

Author Topic: best data storage solutions for DAW-based project studio?  (Read 650 times)

Offline karlo

best data storage solutions for DAW-based project studio?
« on: September 08, 2010, 03:29:06 AM »
For those with loads of media to store and secure, what do you use?

Do you use a NAS and a bunch of HDD's, or a media server, or external drives, a second PC, or maybe DVDs? What would be the best bang-for-the-buck solution- capacity-wise, flexibility-wise, and security-wise?

I'm always worried about my external drives failing without warning-- my 7-month old 1.5TB Seagate now registers at 50% healthy according to a HDD health program I use, which also tells me I have less than a year left before I can expect it to fail. So I bought DVDs but it takes forever to do backups that way.

And on that point, what's a good back-up strategy- do you have it automated by software or is it manual? Whats the best way of automating backups?

I'm looking at something like an Acer home media server, maybe something like this : http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Aspire-easyStore-AH340-U2T1H-Server/dp/B00307EL8M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283881352&sr=8-4.  But I don't know if they're readily available locally...

Any tips?  :-D

Thanks in advance!
Macbook Pro | HP DV7 | Ableton Suite 8.4 | Reason 6.5 | Traktor Pro 2.5 | Reaper 4.22 | Komplete Audio 6 & A8DJ | VoiceLive Classic & Touch | Xone 92r | X-Station 61 | Breedlove Atlas

Love Never Dies