hulika

Author Topic: Your Preference: Tube or Solid State/Digital Pre-Amp Pedals  (Read 1929 times)

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
Inspired by the "Do Tube Amps sound better than Solid State". I think may thread na ganito rin dati pero it's 2018 and technology has come a long way...

Assuming your set-up is Guitar -> Pre-Amp Pedal -> Effects Return -> Power Amp, which do you prefer? Hindi pa ako nakasubok ng pre-amp pedal na may tube so i don't know how it reacts.

Let's stick to pure pre-amp pedals and hindi kasama multi-effects/amp-sims.  :)
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Your Preference: Tube or Solid State/Digital Pre-Amp Pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »
Damn you, these topics are getting tougher.

I love the Ethos right now, but those goddamn Micro Preamp pedals for Mooer while digital, all sound usable (and sometimes great) to my ears!
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline nicoyow

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 09:18:17 PM »
haven't tried four cable setup for a long time because you know, hassle is the word. But, I guess, pushing an amp with the pedal you have is the real key to it. Mapa digital man or analog, they do the same job I think. (not a fan of heavy/high gain pedal though) but when it is needed, I just stack my fuzz to my OD. instant heavy chugs.

don't mind me. gusto ko lang talaga mag subscribe sa mga informative thread.  :-D
Sa pinipig, bukod sa pwede mo singhutin, pwede mo rin tikman.

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 12:44:37 AM »
If we're going to go with pedals designed by amp manufacturers and designers, like Amptweaker and Diezel, I think there's no need to feel like you're compromising on sound. The VH4 pedal in particular sounds pretty close when A/B'd with the real amp channel, at least based on the online demos I've seen so far.

There are a lot of pedals now being sold by amp companies like Friedman and Bogner which, while not optimized for plugging into the effects return jack of an amp, sound really good plugged into a good clean amplifier. I'd imagine these perform well too when compared directly to the amps they were based on. After all, they were made by the designers themselves.

I'd say the most important thing to consider when going with a setup that the OP describes is to make sure that your ears are well-informed. That is, you should know how you want to sound like, and what steps you must take to achieve that. As long as your ears are happy, I say go for it.

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 05:55:32 AM »
For convenience, I prefer SS preamplifiers plugged either to a: (1) power amp or (2) D.I. box then to PA. Technology has really come a long way. Not to mention the impulse response tech being utilized on most guitar effects/ stompboxes. And they sound real good to me.

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
For gigs:

High power and transparent SS Poweramps + Digital modeler + AWESOME guitar cab (NOT FRFR).
Load outs are fast and light. You sound huge. No need to mic since you have IR out. Consistent sound everytime. Huge stage sound since you are using a regular guitar cab.

For home:

Tube, of course.

For recording:

Really depends on your songs and what you need to sound like. Some modelers can't do some things. Some tube amps are a pain to mic and make it sound consistent take after take.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:02:48 AM by Bolt Thrower »

Offline robinonibor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 08:46:38 AM »
haven't tried four cable setup for a long time because you know, hassle is the word. But, I guess, pushing an amp with the pedal you have is the real key to it. Mapa digital man or analog, they do the same job I think. (not a fan of heavy/high gain pedal though) but when it is needed, I just stack my fuzz to my OD. instant heavy chugs.

don't mind me. gusto ko lang talaga mag subscribe sa mga informative thread.  :-D

tried 4 cable method dati using my zoom g9 and ibanez tsa15 plus strat.. I almost wet my pants first time using it.  :lol:
imho zoom g9 has the best features zoom ever made. yun lang alaws kwenta ang gain amp models luckily you can turn it off and plug your favorite gain pedal along with 4c method.
tweaking is a bit tricky tho

btt: tube amp

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 08:57:44 AM »
Apologies for the slight side-tracking but...

Just wondering: Without reading labels, manuals, descriptions, reviews etc, how is it possible to determine whether a pedal is a regular one or a pre-amp one? What are their differences other than the fact  that one is built to serve as a pre-amp? What does a pedal need to be classified as a true pre-amp ped?

TIA.  :)

Offline lolwat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 03:00:23 PM »
Apologies for the slight side-tracking but...

Just wondering: Without reading labels, manuals, descriptions, reviews etc, how is it possible to determine whether a pedal is a regular one or a pre-amp one? What are their differences other than the fact  that one is built to serve as a pre-amp? What does a pedal need to be classified as a true pre-amp ped?

TIA.  :)

I think in the strictest definition of the term, a preamp should be able to amplify the input signal enough to make further amplification via power amps viable. In that sense, pedals with lots of available signal boost levels can probably be called "preamps" as well, though not the low noise, high voltage ones typically found in rackmount units.

Our specific use of the term preamp denotes a sound-shaping design that not only amplifies the input signal enough to be sent later to a power amp, but also attempts to mimic the tonal response of certain complete amplifier circuits, which are popular for their distinct sounds. Often, due to the combination of emulated preamp EQ and high signal boosting, these are not designed to be plugged into guitar amps' preexisting clean channels, which themselves are preamps. I'm sure most of us who have any experience at all with digital amp sims and plugging them straight into amp inputs would know what happens then.

I'll wait for more tech-savvy forumers to correct or clarify anything I've said above. Admittedly, this is something I only came to know through reading online guitar discussions.

Offline guitaricci

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
I think in the strictest definition of the term, a preamp should be able to amplify the input signal enough to make further amplification via power amps viable. In that sense, pedals with lots of available signal boost levels can probably be called "preamps" as well, though not the low noise, high voltage ones typically found in rackmount units.

Our specific use of the term preamp denotes a sound-shaping design that not only amplifies the input signal enough to be sent later to a power amp, but also attempts to mimic the tonal response of certain complete amplifier circuits, which are popular for their distinct sounds. Often, due to the combination of emulated preamp EQ and high signal boosting, these are not designed to be plugged into guitar amps' preexisting clean channels, which themselves are preamps. I'm sure most of us who have any experience at all with digital amp sims and plugging them straight into amp inputs would know what happens then.

I'll wait for more tech-savvy forumers to correct or clarify anything I've said above. Admittedly, this is something I only came to know through reading online guitar discussions.

Ako rin nalilito which is which. hehe

Eto from Reverb.com. To summarize: The difference between a regular pedal and a preamp pedal is complicated  :-o
https://reverb.com/news/4-premium-preamp-pedals-to-juice-your-tone

"The word "preamp" can meet a lot of different things, depending on the context. Audio engineers tend to think of a preamp as a device for powering a microphone and/or amplifying its signal prior to recording, while audiophiles think of a preamp as the thing that comes before their power amplifier, featuring volume and equalization controls, and some switching functions. In guitar speak, a preamp can be an integrated section of a guitar amplifier's circuitry, which (much like the stereo preamp) often contains tone and gain controls, or it can be a similarly functional external unit meant to enter the signal chain before the guitar amp, running either straight in the front, or in the effects loop. Such a device would typically serve as the main source of EQ, drive, and other tonesculpting capabilities. Many older guitarists associate the term "preamp" closely with formerly ubiquitous eighties rack units from A/DA, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, and other companies. Current guitar preamp options are much more varied, however, and the most convenient choice for the modern pedalboard-bound guitarist is probably a pedal preamp.

So, you might be thinking at this point, if a preamp is just a pedal that has tone, gain, and volume controls, what makes it different from a regular old distortion pedal with EQ? Well, the answer is complicated. Some pedals marketed as preamps really have nothing more to offer than a standard dirt box layout with basic EQ, while other, seemingly similar, units are much more deserving of the moniker, serving as a complete sound solution that can work equally well in front of a guitar amp, clean power amp, in an effects loop, or even direct into a recorder or PA system. These types of preamplifiers can be superb tools for traveling guitarists that need a powerful, portable gigging device that can serve as a complete tone foundation, providing a consistent sound no matter the backline or recording scenario. Here are a few of our top picks for fully-featured pedal preamps."

Naalala ko nung unang nilabas yung Vox Amplug series...i wish that i could connect that into my amp (Laney Cub10 during that time) or if someone could turn that Amplug into a pedal.

Yung Ethos OD at Origin Effects Revival Drive...2 pedals that are definitely up there. Both solid state and can be plugged into the front of the amp or effects loop.
Its not the kill, Its the thrill of the chase...

Offline dewberry

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2018, 10:41:57 PM »
This year I started using my Jackson Audio Prism as preamp esp it has a preamp section and uses mosfet transistors. If meron amp sa gig na may effects loop , yan na parati setup ko and I like it that way para ma maximize ko more yung pedal and I love the sound!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:45:52 PM by dewberry »

Offline Bolt Thrower

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
Ako rin nalilito which is which. hehe

Eto from Reverb.com. To summarize: The difference between a regular pedal and a preamp pedal is complicated  :-o
https://reverb.com/news/4-premium-preamp-pedals-to-juice-your-tone

"The word "preamp" can meet a lot of different things, depending on the context. Audio engineers tend to think of a preamp as a device for powering a microphone and/or amplifying its signal prior to recording, while audiophiles think of a preamp as the thing that comes before their power amplifier, featuring volume and equalization controls, and some switching functions. In guitar speak, a preamp can be an integrated section of a guitar amplifier's circuitry, which (much like the stereo preamp) often contains tone and gain controls, or it can be a similarly functional external unit meant to enter the signal chain before the guitar amp, running either straight in the front, or in the effects loop. Such a device would typically serve as the main source of EQ, drive, and other tonesculpting capabilities. Many older guitarists associate the term "preamp" closely with formerly ubiquitous eighties rack units from A/DA, Marshall, Mesa/Boogie, and other companies. Current guitar preamp options are much more varied, however, and the most convenient choice for the modern pedalboard-bound guitarist is probably a pedal preamp.

So, you might be thinking at this point, if a preamp is just a pedal that has tone, gain, and volume controls, what makes it different from a regular old distortion pedal with EQ? Well, the answer is complicated. Some pedals marketed as preamps really have nothing more to offer than a standard dirt box layout with basic EQ, while other, seemingly similar, units are much more deserving of the moniker, serving as a complete sound solution that can work equally well in front of a guitar amp, clean power amp, in an effects loop, or even direct into a recorder or PA system. These types of preamplifiers can be superb tools for traveling guitarists that need a powerful, portable gigging device that can serve as a complete tone foundation, providing a consistent sound no matter the backline or recording scenario. Here are a few of our top picks for fully-featured pedal preamps."

Naalala ko nung unang nilabas yung Vox Amplug series...i wish that i could connect that into my amp (Laney Cub10 during that time) or if someone could turn that Amplug into a pedal.

Yung Ethos OD at Origin Effects Revival Drive...2 pedals that are definitely up there. Both solid state and can be plugged into the front of the amp or effects loop.

Sa akin if it sounds better through the effects loop vs the front of the amp, it must be a preamp pedal.  :lol:

Offline curiousdcat

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 06:10:25 AM »
@lolwat and guitaricci - thanks for your posts. It was pack full of info. So would it be safe to conclude then that it would be almost impossible to differentiate a regular ped from a true, full-blooded pre-amp ped by merely looking at it?

Sa akin if it sounds better through the effects loop vs the front of the amp, it must be a preamp pedal.  :lol:
Very logical.  :)

Offline r_chino18

• Patambay tambay na
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 12:01:44 PM »

Aye!  :wave: :wave: :wave: