hulika

Author Topic: What do i need?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
What do i need?
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:56:32 AM »
hi guys, i'm planning on starting to record myself. i just want to hear my guitar playing on a very decent recording and as a very nice songwriting tool. just in the confines of my room. practically just me (guitar), and a bass player. probably the occasional vocals.  :)

what do i need?.. i plan to do it digitally. i'd probably have 4-5 tracks.  :)

thanks!,

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
What do i need?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:33:23 AM »
What do I need? A rather broad question dependent on how you intend to approach the recording process. Do you intend to go pc based or use casette or hard disk based multitrack recorders? Each has his own advantages and disadvantages.

With multitrack hard disk recorders, you often just turn them on and start recording. They usually come with internal effects and allow you some form of editing and volume/pan/mute automation. You lose out on visual onscreen editing, except if you're using those high end Rolands (ex. VS-2480) and Korgs.

With pc recording, aside from software, you will need a multitrack soundcard. You can get by with consumer soundcards but they will often have less than desirable sonic performance and are usually only stereo input, regardless of the number of inputs on the breakoutbox. Don't believe me? Try to select the aux in and line in simultaneously. If you intend to record more than 2 tracks, you need a serious soundcard.

Then there's the software question. Google around for Audacity and Kristal Audio Engine for freeware. There are other shareware options such as Multiquence, then there are the big boys starting with Adobe Audition, Sonar, Cubase, Nuendo, or if you prefer the Mac platform, Digital Performer and Logic Audio. M-Audio sometimes has Pro Tools LE bundled with some of its soundcards - note that PT LE will only work with M-Audio hardware.

Once you decide which of the 2 paths to take above, this will determine the ancilliary equipment you will need such as mixers, preamps, and mics.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline narcosis

What do i need?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:56:23 PM »
If you're using PC, Try to download the demo version of Adobe Audition from their website. All you need is a regular sound card and a head phones with mic. unlimited tracks and a handfull of studio effects. The output files can be in mp3 format.
Fun Is Fun, Done Is Done