hulika

Author Topic: What is the best dynamic microphone for lead vocals in a hard rock band?  (Read 1267 times)

Offline quibron

• Netizen Level
What is the best dynamic microphone brand/model for lead vocals in a hard rock band?

Offline Sound-Weavers.com

• Philmusicus Noobitus
SM58

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic

1. shure beta58 and 2. sm58

Offline LoisLoisLois

• Philmusicus Noobitus
yeah! for live use, go for sm58!

Offline noahgoode

Just my 2 centavos:

You can't go wrong with the Shure SM series of mics.  They are designed to be used next to the source which helps separate sounds from other sound sources, reasonably priced, reliable, sturdy and versatile

a.  SM58 -- arguably, the industry standard; rugged mic fairly resistant to damage but grille will sometimes dent when dropped; cardioid response pattern (rejects sound mostly from rear of mic)

b.  Beta58  -- premium version of the SM series, costs a little more; stronger grille; frequency response curve fairly similar to SM 58, but the beta series has a gradual high frequency roll off towards 20K Hz, giving it a brighter sound.  It has a super cardioid pattern -- rejects sound mostly 60 degrees from the back which is less likely to feedback because of tighter frequency response in the lower end

c.  PG58 --- cheaper versions of the SM series; never personally used this but friends say it's more than adequate.

Live on stage, I prefer the beta 58A because of its higher gain before feedback threshold but I use SM58s along with other mics in the studio.

Preference, price point and  planned usage will most likely dictate your final choice, but it's always best to compare mics in the store or  borrow a pair to compare during practice or a live show.   

Best of luck on your search and watch out for those fake Shure mics.  They may be cheap but their sound never comes close to the real ones.
Veni, Vici, Velcro....I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
"Shure" pa din naman ang the best choice. Basta yun orig ha  :)

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
SHURE SM58. the PG58 IMHO sounds a little muffled.

a great cheap alternative for live and constant use is the SAMSON R21S.

PHP1900 for 3 pieces. great headroom.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha