hulika

Author Topic: What do you want to learn about recording?  (Read 310813 times)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: What do you want to learn about recording?
« Reply #425 on: August 06, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
If you're gonna go for pure recording only no midi stuff, go Nuendo.

At the risk of sounding like a Cakewalk fanboy, Sonar can be configured for purely audio recording depending on the type of tracks you insert into a project. As a matter of fact, practically all DAW software (with a few exceptions) do both midi and audio, including Nuendo, depending how you configure their respective projects.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline A.B

« Reply #426 on: August 07, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »
ah pinaka ganda sa OS na windows ung sonar?

Offline axebass26

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #427 on: August 07, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
what software supports 3d panning? vegas has this but i find reaper more audio friendly... can somebody give other suggestions for software or plugins for my current software that supports 3d panning. (eg; drum tracks at the rear, bass in the middle, guitar 1 left, guitar 2 right, vocals front)
omnia mutantur nos et mutamur in illis........
http://axebass26.multiply.com .....
 GAS LIST:  WARWICK ROCKBASS CORVETTE $$ 5string  EBS Micro Bass 2 Preamp  MONO Gig Bag

Offline alvincflorentino

« Reply #428 on: August 07, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
but it think some people do record their music just for the heck of it.  people like me, who are not in any way an expert or a professional in the music industry, who just loves to make music.  i mean when you're able to create that moment, and be able to capture that through your records, it becomes something like an inspiration for you that you keep coming back to when things don't seem to work quite the way you want them to.

i'm not saying that nobody else makes music and records it just for the heck of it. what i am saying is that i think that feeling is in each and everyone of us, which is why we want to be able to capture that moment as close to reality as possible.  hehe not unless you're into music just to get chiqs (well nothing wrong with that).

am i even making any sense LOL. 

Hey, I'm all for capturing the moment and all, too, and there's definitely nothing wrong with capturing the girls either (If that's what gets your juices flowing--no pun intended). Like I said, I guess we should just do the best we can to make ourselves happy then present that to whoever wants to hear it and let them have at it...with whatever makes them happy. Everybody happy? Ha!
Korg Kronos, Korg PolySix, Roland Juno-106/SH-101; Fender '57 strat/'52 tele, Gibson LP SL; Korg D16XD, dbx 266XL, Mackie 1402 VLZ, Roland UA-700 interface, Audio Technica AT-4033SE, Rode NT1-A, Studio Projects B1/B3;  Yamaha NS-10M, Alesis M1 Active MkII

Offline A.B

« Reply #429 on: August 09, 2010, 02:27:14 AM »
Sir KITC pano mag open ng intrumental beat sa sonar?

or ung .wma type pano mag bukas? .wma diba ung sa windows?

possible bang ma transfer ung files ko sa adobe audition papuntang sonar ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #430 on: August 09, 2010, 10:03:29 AM »
ah pinaka ganda sa OS na windows ung sonar?

XP for 32-bit, Win7 for 64-bit.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #431 on: August 09, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »
Can you use 2 different firewire interfaces at one time? (e.g. Focusrite Saffire + Presonus Firestudio)

Or, can you use 1 firewire interface and 1 USB interface at one time? (e.g. Focusrite Saffire + M-audio Fast Track)
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #432 on: August 09, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »
Sir KITC pano mag open ng intrumental beat sa sonar?

Try using Session Drummer if you have Sonar 7 or higher.

or ung .wma type pano mag bukas? .wma diba ung sa windows?

You should be able to open .wma files if you properly installed Sonar, except for wma's that have their copyright intact. Better to use mp3s or wavs.

possible bang ma transfer ung files ko sa adobe audition papuntang sonar ?

Export the audition tracks as wav then just import into sonar.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #433 on: August 09, 2010, 11:30:09 AM »
Can you use 2 different firewire interfaces at one time? (e.g. Focusrite Saffire + Presonus Firestudio)

Or, can you use 1 firewire interface and 1 USB interface at one time? (e.g. Focusrite Saffire + M-audio Fast Track)

Yes, but if using asio, you can only use one device at any given time. Asio is 'madamot' when it comes to control over an interface. If you prefer to have both available to you simultaneously, use WDM drivers instead.

Offline inigo

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #434 on: August 09, 2010, 11:39:35 AM »
Yes, but if using asio, you can only use one device at any given time. Asio is 'madamot' when it comes to control over an interface. If you prefer to have both available to you simultaneously, use WDM drivers instead.

Got it. Thanks!
400/hr recording. Banana Rising Recording Studio www.bananarising.com

SOUND SAMPLES: http://www.bananarising.com/p/sound-samples.html

Offline A.B

« Reply #435 on: August 09, 2010, 03:38:31 PM »
ok thanks

Offline lowriderthug

« Reply #436 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:51 PM »
Good day everyone.

Is it okey to use Sony MDR 7506 or Audio Technica ATH-M30 for mixing?
how do I get favorable results from these?

I have no pro referrence monitors yet. any advise which ones are good for starters like me.

thanks.
music is what feelings sounds like

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #437 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:59 AM »
We normally do not use headphones for mixing since panning/stereo information is exaggerated and often unnatural. This is because our ears hear both left and right speakers in an 'open-air' environment and we perceive stereo through the slight timing differences one ear receives from the left channel in relation to the right channel.

Some 'pros' have been known to use consumer hifi speakers as monitors. They usually have reference music or songs that they use to 'tune' those speakers, though.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #438 on: August 13, 2010, 08:20:26 AM »
We normally do not use headphones for mixing since panning/stereo information is exaggerated and often unnatural. This is because our ears hear both left and right speakers in an 'open-air' environment and we perceive stereo through the slight timing differences one ear receives from the left channel in relation to the right channel.

Some 'pros' have been known to use consumer hifi speakers as monitors. They usually have reference music or songs that they use to 'tune' those speakers, though.

wow! useful info, kasi ako sa headphones lang naka monitor (yung pang tv pa, kaya may extra bass)  :cry:
gusto ko rin sana mag invest ng decent monitors, sabi ni jampaps yung samson, kaya lang nasa 6k din  :cry:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #439 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »
wow! useful info, kasi ako sa headphones lang naka monitor (yung pang tv pa, kaya may extra bass)  :cry:
gusto ko rin sana mag invest ng decent monitors, sabi ni jampaps yung samson, kaya lang nasa 6k din  :cry:

Samsons are ok, but go for monitors with woofer cones of 6" or above if you want to hear bass properly. I personally wanted the Rubicons, but I'm kinda happy with the Fostex I have.

Offline arkeetar

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #440 on: August 13, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »
Samsons are ok, but go for monitors with woofer cones of 6" or above if you want to hear bass properly. I personally wanted the Rubicons, but I'm kinda happy with the Fostex I have.

ah noted, thanks KitC  :lol:

Offline lowriderthug

« Reply #441 on: August 13, 2010, 12:50:25 PM »

Thanks sir kitc.
music is what feelings sounds like

Offline alvinalvinalvin

• Netizen Level
« Reply #442 on: August 18, 2010, 09:50:05 PM »
Hi po sa mga masters quick question lang po regarding my recording setup.

Gears:
CAD pro 7 pcs drum mics -> 5 dynamic 2 condenser mics
Delta 1010lt                  -> Audio interface 8 rca 2 xlr females
XENYX 1202                  -> 12 inputs channel 4 preamp 4 phantom power

Setup is for drum recording

1.Connect 2 condenser mic to xenyx 1202 preamp w/ phantom power channel
then connect mixer out to rca channel of delta 1010lt

2. connect remaining snare mic and kick mic to 2 xlr channel of delta 1010lt

3. connect remaining 3 tom mics directly to 3 rca channels of delta 1010lt using xlr female to rca male connector

This is what I have in mind any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Salamat mga master!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #443 on: August 19, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »
3. connect remaining 3 tom mics directly to 3 rca channels of delta 1010lt using xlr female to rca male connector

Get some outboard preamps or get a mixer with direct outs so you can patch them to the rca line inputs. Using the XLR-to-RCA will only lead to impedance mismatching leading to very low gain on those mics aside from a very thin sound.

Offline alvinalvinalvin

• Netizen Level
« Reply #444 on: August 19, 2010, 02:40:01 PM »
thank you so much for the reply sir kitc

just a follow up question

what mixer with direct outs would you suggest ? I hope it's cheap

and also the preamp option

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #445 on: August 20, 2010, 10:30:08 AM »
what mixer with direct outs would you suggest ? I hope it's cheap

Some mixers with 16 or 24 channels have direct out options. Behringer's 2442 has 8 direct outs according to their site... you might have to look at the lower models if they offer direct outs; I doubt that their 12-ch models offer direct outs per channel. Mackie's 1604 VLZ has 8 direct outs - I tend to favor Mackie because of their durability and reliability. You might also find mixers from Phonic, Soundcraft and Yamaha that have direct outs.

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #446 on: August 22, 2010, 05:27:55 PM »
Paano po gamitin ung LINE-IN na pang recording instead pf the MIC input?

pag Mic ang gamit ko merong narerecord pero pag sa line-in walang narerecord.
 :cry:

Offline skin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2010, 09:38:55 AM »
Paano po gamitin ung LINE-IN na pang recording instead pf the MIC input?

pag Mic ang gamit ko merong narerecord pero pag sa line-in walang narerecord.
 :cry:

Check your mixer sa software.  Recording mo dapat line-in not mic.  May checkbox dun when you click the speaker icon.

Offline A.B

« Reply #448 on: August 26, 2010, 11:41:14 PM »
sir KitC testing lng

pede ba gumana ung ProTools sa OnBoard sound card?

thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2010, 09:49:33 AM »
pede ba gumana ung ProTools sa OnBoard sound card?

No.

The only Pro Tools qualified equipment are from Digidesign, M-Audio and Mackie so far. There is, however, a development which I believe Digidesign doesn't approve of, but I'm aware of it's existence.