hulika

Author Topic: Survival Guide to Guitar Central (based on A True Story)  (Read 91782 times)

Offline colorless krayola

Re: Survival Guide to Guitar Central (based on A True Story)
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2010, 03:19:04 AM »
Good read. I heard seryoso 'tong thread na 'to. Ba't may parang...
Anyways, thanks for posting this. ;)
I don't know how to play, I just spread my emotions into the fretboard.

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Words of wisdom from TDPRI:

"A note to remind some posters in this thread that all you know is your opinion on this subject. And, if you want to quote other builders and such as proof then I'll say that all they have is their opinions, too. This is a subjective subject and there are not absolutes. Your opinion on the subject is not a FACT.

So, state YOUR opinions but don't try to belittle others for having a differing opinion. OK?"

Offline orangedreg_2

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
Darrel likes this!:)
gear:
Standard standfan (all stock)
Nokia 3210 (modified blue backlight) Monoblock chair (all stock) Kyowa oventoaster Meque DVD Player (all original)

Offline jocobalb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
dapat me like clickable parang fb . haha !! kudos for this !! sana basahin din ng iba kasi kahit sticky thread to ngayon ko lang nabasa hehe. galing .

Offline glasgowkizz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 08:16:40 PM »
+100
Past deals:
hidalgoperez, antiguapers, pao2pao16 (Pedallion.com), teleclem (Guitar post), micsis, spankyrigor (Spudmusic), haey2, afterlife, Tewp, atomo, cymjoshua

Offline tsunamic

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2011, 12:57:49 AM »
unang basa ko dito andun pa yung mga patama na jokes eh. hehe. buti updated na. Guide na lang talaga to para sa newbies at para narin sa regular members na rin na kaylangan pa ng gabay. hehe. sana lang talaga basahin din lahat muna ng mga bago yung sticky posts para naman may karga na agad silang gabay. minsan kasi pang bentahan na lang din talaga tong philmusic para sa mga nagreregister eh. :)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2011, 01:51:06 PM »
EDIT: Whoa, stickied na pala ito! Cool. But I wanna remind people I wrote this in order to promote peace and harmony in GC, so please don't use it to "cite examples", fingerpoint, or mang-blind item (tinangal ko na rin yung joke re "catering").  In true community fashion, we'll crowdsource good ideas and keep this updated; I'm sure there are many people out there smarter than me who have something to share.

Read it, then live it!  Peace!

(Just wanted to add my two cents to provide an enhanced experience but I really like what Deltaslim has said...)

-- SURVIVAL GUIDE TO GUITAR CENTRAL (based on real lessons learned) --

I thought it might help to summarize my personal Lessons Learned from years being part of this community and being personally involved in some, uhm, "trainwrecks" (not the amp, unfortunately). Some of these are mistakes I made and repeated. Some are mistakes many others keep repeating. I hope we all learn our lesson.

1. If we're talking about build setup, build quality, construction and craftsmanship, yes, one guitar can be better than another and it's possible to argue objectively on some empirical basis. (Sometimes, it does not have to be even empirical -- just use your ears and your eyes. Even the most complex measuring machines made cannot beat the ear and the heart.  This was a point made clear by the Tonequest Report.)

2. Money can buy you 'better' guitars in terms of quality of build, materials, component parts, craftsmanship, etc. (although better parts and materials does not necessarily ensure better tone). If you can't afford 'better' gear, tough luck; just deal with it. On the other hand, guitars sound like guitars. Improvements in guitar making/manufacturing technology, accessibility of that technology, and the law of diminishing returns ensures that decent quality guitars are more affordable and can take the issue of money off the table very quickly. (In addition, if you can't afford 'better' gear, stop cycling thru other bad sounding gear and save up for better gear. Really, some guitars sound better than others.  Despite more affordable and decent guitars, the general standards of mass produced guitars have really gone down -- cheap woods, shoddy electronics, thick paint, etc. If you compare an 'affordable' guitar in the 50s and 60s compared to an affordable guitar today, you were getting more yesterday.  On the other hand, the more expensive guitars today are pushing the differences versus the more decent guitars today e.g. guitar wood, different shapes, custom colors, thinner finish, custom pickups, better pots, better warranties and even better guitar cases, etc. Good use of new technology for example is the use of PLEK which is not yet offered on cheap guitars.  In short the high end guitar of today, is giving more than the high end guitar of yesterday.)

3.  If we're talking about guitar design (LPs vs Teles vs Strats vs Superstrats) and tone, well, they're all just different, one is not necessarily better than the other. Tone is subjective because we have different tastes and we all hear and appreciate tone differently. Any kind of tone can have a potential application in music. Hence, arguing which tone is better/worse is pointless. (Sometimes, though a Bad sounding Les Paul will never beat a Good Sounding Strat or vice versa or even a Great Sounding Super Strat will beat bad sounding Strats, bad sounding Les Pauls, and bad sounding Teles for any style of music.)

4. Tone is the output of a whole system of inter-related and interacting parts and other related factors (don't forget the amp and player!) and its very difficult to assess individual components (e.g., a type of wood for body or neck, a pickup) independently and without proper context. However, guitar engineering/building know-how is constantly improving to allow for target tones to be achieved using a combination of wood, pickups, electronics, and appropriate construction techniques, etc. It is still not a perfect science, though. Outside of the guitar and amp, there's also a lot of tonal variability afforded by the player's flesh tone, right and left hand technique, and know-how in tweaking combinations of gtr+amp+pedals to interact and produce a desired tone. Hence, if you played thru SRVs gear, you may not sound exactly like SRV because you lack the flesh tone, technique, or know-how to work his gear. (Agree a lot, but in the case if you had better sounding gear... SRV might have preferred to use your gear rather than his. Remember the statement of Renee Martinez when he first met SRV? He said: "Your tone sucks."  And immediately, SRV hired him to be his tech.)

5. If you really have to, when comparing tone, it has to be on "all things being equal"-terms. It's not even fair to ask a crappy player to play his great $$$ gear vs. a great player using cheap gear. When comparing components, all the other factors in the whole system should remain constant (e.g., change pus but not the guitar, amp, or player). (Agree... except that we have to factor in another concept called multivariate analysis.  Though it is an accepted scientific principal to only adjust one variable at a time, when it comes to gear, I learned that there is another dimension i.e. when two or more factors suddenly sound magical because of their unique combination. In a real life example that I and my friend Arie had was that the Klon Centaur did not sound good thru the amps that we had tested it through.  Years later, I learned that the designer meant the Klon Centaur was meant to be used on a Fender Deluxe Reverb.  We both realized that we did not give the Klon a correct audition thru a blackface deluxe reverb because we did not have it at all.)

6. Tone is neither JUST in the fingers, nor is it JUST in the wallet. Both technique and nice gear help create good tone. Great technique and experience/knowledge can help overcome poor gear, but decent gear is a minimum. On the other hand, better gear can inspire good players to greater heights of creativity and technical accomplishment. "Tone is in the fingers vs. Tone is in the wallet" arguments betray ignorance and insecurity. (Agree.  Though for general audiences, tone is better appreciated than technique.  I mean I would think that it would be sacrilege for me to pay for an expensive Mr. Big VIP ticket and only to hear Paul Gilbert use a Behringer --that would just sound bad. In the same way, I would prefer to listen to Kurt Cobain's guitars than that Chinese protege pianist who is just so overrated.)

7. Asking someone to make a recording of his guitar and posting it on the internet is not the best way of judging that piece of gear.  If you're sincerely curious and interested in knowing the truth, try it yourself... in person... using your own hands and ears.  If you can't or you won't because your pride or shyness is in the way, don't whine cuz you have no first-hand knowledge to make a judgment. (Caveat: Very soon, however, recording and network technology will make it possible for most anyone to do hi-fi recordings and shared in lossless format over youtube, soundlick, myspace, fb, etc. Actually the technology is here now but access is limited to those w/ resources.) (Agree so much but I really doubt that lossless formats will get any better .... SACD and DVD Audio have been around and proven to be superior formats yet they have never been replicated by any lossless format. If anything, most audiophiles and surprisingly new releases are coming out on vinyl. Definitely, lossless will never replace the warmth of vinyl.)

8. When someone gives a review of his gear and insists it's the best ever guitar EVER, he has the right to his opinion and no amount of arguing, recording, testing, or tone shootouts will actually settle the issue. On the other hand, a simple opinion or review does not necessarily diminish the value of other people's gear to which it may have been compared (Source: Bart). However... (Some people have better ears and therefore some opinions are better than others. Its better for you to admit that you have a lousy sounding guitar NOW than having to go thru life deceiving yourself that your guitar is not lousy. Its called maturity.)

9. When someone makes a personal attack, puts down, or insults a fellow member, or questions their credibility, simply for disagreeing or sharing a contrary opinion, that is not cool and likely against the rules. Proper warnings/sanctions should be given immediately and applied consistently. (Agree... but some people are so wrong or so f*cked up that they need a PUT DOWN. So, its case to case...)

10. Although probably not a crime to a person or the community, faulting other people for not owning, not being able to afford expensive gear, or not having access to top gear experts/sources is bad form. In comparing gear, it's also poor taste to use direct language such as "your ABC won't stand against my XYZ" or "my ABC kills your XYZ". On the other hand, smarter and mature forumites would know to ignore these kinds of silly subjective statements (see rule #7). It's better to just say "it didn't work out for me and my setup", "not suited for my application", or "not my taste". In comparing gear, context is everything. (Some context are better than others, the Ultrasound Rehearsal Studio A in New York is a much much better context than the Behringer or Lazer Showroom in Ali Mall on ANY level or on ANY Objective.)

11. Don't let your ego or someone else's get in the way of your enjoying guitar on your own terms, not on someone else's. If you need someone else's -- whether other forumite's or top builder/gear expert's -- validation to enjoy your gear, you'll never be content and happy. (Agree that's why we should stop or minimize reading guitar central on Philmusic!)

12. After all is said and done, it's just guitar - is it really worth fighting over?  If it is, examine your life, values and priorities. (Yes... at times specially if somebody claims that their P10k piece of crap is equal to your US10k piece of crap. :) )

Offline boybangs

• Forum Fanatic
Google is your friend.

Offline teleclem

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
"In addition, if you can't afford 'better' gear, stop cycling thru other bad sounding gear and save up for better gear."

Gotta agree with that. Money can actually be saved that way since at a loss kadalan yung sales.

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:05 AM »
yes i agree with whoever wrote that line. if i can't afford better gear, then humanap ng paraan. kung wala, ipon muna. kung wala, be happy with what i/we have.

but at least these "better" things, give direction, what to get in the future, what to look forward to. (provided that you will have the same taste when that moment comes)

T na lang ako kung magpapa-apekto pa ako. walang maibibigay na maganda ang inggit o inis.

In life, in any aspect, there will always be something better.

as far as budget is concerned naman, maganda na din may awareness tayo, para mamaximize or optimize yung amount na kaya lang natin mainvest. kaya maganda na din na may nagshashare.

kung tinawag ka na pangit. magagalit ka ba kung alam mong hindi.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:04:27 AM by analog.matt »

Offline paquitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 06:12:39 AM »
Nice read  :-D

Offline tintoretto

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 06:18:19 AM »
TAMA!!! :-D :-D
Malate is full of lonely people- L. De Veyra

Offline afterlife

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2011, 04:02:05 PM »
+1  :)
"This piece of well-crafted wood is a loose part of my body, extension of my imagination, voice of my emotions, and my freedom of expression. I may not be really good at it but hey, its just me trying to speak in the language of the soul." - -

Offline jgaluno

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 01:31:26 PM »
many can relate to this thread. +10 to the author.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:33:07 PM by jgaluno »
Succesful transactions: rixstaine,emoks,gitarakista,lorenzo,jamesplaysguitar,ryantek,kurtseth

Offline Nova Strike

• Netizen Level
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
Yung #9, it should be practiced talaga. A lot of misunderstanding here eh..  :-(

Offline rtf_axeman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »
i should have seen this thread sooner  :lol:

BUMP!

Offline kernelsalonpas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
edited.. GC needs its villains.. come back guys!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:36:55 AM by kernelsalonpas »
no pic, no advise...

Offline freemansj

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2012, 03:05:35 PM »
edited.. GC needs its villains.. come back guys!!!

And who are these villains?!   :lol:

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:45 AM »
villains? i don't think so. they are just forumites that pwn ignorant posers.  :-P
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline markezekiel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
must read thread.

:) :)

Offline 09thfret

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
 :mrgreen:
Fate is like being raped ,. if you cant fight it ,... Learn to enjoy it ...

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2012, 04:16:41 AM »
Hi guys, I'm glad this thread has been useful to you. I sometimes find myself thinking about how to improve it.

I added some points to existing points, highlighted in blue below:

2. Money can buy you 'better' guitars in terms of quality of build, materials, component parts, craftsmanship, etc. (although better parts and materials does not necessarily ensure better tone). If you can't afford 'better' gear, tough luck, just deal with it. [Note: Money is also a function of time. If you're smart with your gear money and saved up for long enough, you can buy what you thought only the rich guys could buy. It takes discipline but it's possible.]. On the other hand, guitars sound like guitars. Improvements in guitar making/manufacturing technology, accessibility of that technology, and the law of diminishing returns ensures that decent quality guitars are more affordable and can take the issue of money off the table very quickly.

... and

11. Don't let your ego or someone else's get in the way of your enjoying guitar on your own terms, not on someone else's. If you need someone else's -- whether other forumite's or top builder/gear expert's -- validation to enjoy your gear, you'll never be content and happy.  Remember that the primary aim of good gear and tone is to inspire YOU and make you play and sound good. The audience and any other person is just secondary.

Hope this is useful.

Offline jjgalvan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »
nice  :-D

Offline fretboard

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 09:03:17 AM »
ngayon ko lang nabasa to!
 :)
try mo kayang kalabitin baka tumunog...