hulika

Author Topic: Does Wood Type, Finish, and Mass Matter on a Electric Guitar?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Al Nico Five

Re: Does Wood Type, Finish, and Mass Matter on a Electric Guitar?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 09:26:36 PM »
IKR, that's why I said I don't agree with him when he said zero. The pick ups play the biggest factor in the equation.

But again I would not judge the guitars wood by playing it unplugged. Playing the guitar unplugged is testing the guitars craftmanship, fret layout, intonation, etc. It's not the basis for wood selection.

Wood like any other mass can absorb vibration. It's science, it's logic. He is wrong to say that wood is dead.

I could cite my previous hollowbody as an example. I would feel the sound resonate off the F holes. I'm sure other hollowbodied owners felt this too. That vibration is coming from your strings travelling to the bridge down to the wood. The wood absorbs it, the wood is not dead.

mmm although I assume there would be a difference in the solid vs hollow etc; is that the responsibility of the wood though?

buzz free

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »
mmm although I assume there would be a difference in the solid vs hollow etc; is that the responsibility of the wood though?

Err..

What was the question again?
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »
nope..

kahit pareho pa silang custom shop - from specs to dimensions, hardware, electronics and pickups, and even if the wood was taken from the same cut/batch of the wood iba pa din sila kakalabasan..

Yup, pero gano kalayo?  Halata kaya yung difference in tone sa recording with a band, or pag live playing with a band, and naka mic yung amp, going to the house PA?  I guess theoretical yung question, best way is if may demo or shootout.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2012, 07:03:52 PM »
Plain plugged to the amp. Yes there is a difference. But if you use drive or effects it colors the sound. Again difference is BARELY AUDIBLE because of electronics. But you can feel the sound vibrate from the f-hole.

That video from youtube placing the guitar beside the wood wall only transfers the guitars vibration to the wall. Of course it will not show any difference in sound. He brought out a wrong example to prove his point.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
Plain plugged to the amp. Yes there is a difference. But if you use drive or effects it colors the sound. Again difference is BARELY AUDIBLE because of electronics. But you can feel the sound vibrate from the f-hole.

That video from youtube placing the guitar beside the wood wall only transfers the guitars vibration to the wall. Of course it will not show any difference in sound. He brought out a wrong example to prove his point.

I see, I guess his point is valid, wrong example  :lol: maybe he is exaggerating.  Anyway... I still do think that wood has a contribution to the overall resonance and enjoyability factor :)  How big the contribution is debatable.  Pickups though in my experience have a big part on the tone.  SD Jazz neck sound very similar between my late RG7420 and Epi custom.  Same with the SD'59 between my Epi Floyd and LP Standard.  The Epi Floyd sounded dull, but I believe it's because of the cheap floyd rose special installed, which the replacement of a brass block significantly improved.  These experiences makes me conclude Scott has a point, but maybe not entirely true.

At the end of the day, basta masaya ka sa tunog ng gitara, that is what matters.  It's just good to have these conversations so we make a more informed decision in choosing guitars in the future. 

Offline franzdean

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 09:33:46 PM »
I also disagree with zero difference.

...so this guy mean to say that a lespaul and a strat can sound the same if they have the same pickups, same amp and distortion, same kind of saddles and nut material used?

even two strats with different wood type can/might sound different,

mas kapanipaniwala kung ittry nya with two different guitars with same pup,  amp, effect, hardware material. And if they both sound the same, maniniwala nako  :idea:
And baby if I need to, yeah I will keep you in the corner of my eye...

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 12:11:08 AM »
i cant help but chime in.

the guy means well, we're in an iceman forum and saw some of mine(but the discussion ended when he wanted an exact ibanez headstock..)

but anyway he means well (he focuses on the technique), i guess the video was created because of how in any forum there is alot of discussion put in guitar finishes and he has been part of alot of the discussions..

he likes cool finishes and one thread was him showing his iceman and with a majority commenting on how thick the finish is and it probably wouldnt sustain because the wood cant 'breathe', that comment drove him nuts..because again a majority of his guitars have hot rod style finishes..

Wood Type, Finish, and Mass Matter on a Electric Guitar?
it matters only on what you're trying to do/achieve..

the problem i see on forums is too much generalization and using them as 'facts', wood and tone are nit picky subjects getting a 1:1 is crazy..

Offline markcasq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 02:00:40 AM »
+1 bryan.  I saw that Iceman too, a year before I saw this video.

Offline Al Nico Five

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 03:02:53 AM »
Err..

What was the question again?

pwedeng dalawa pero po pero eto ang naka sulat sa thread title (it's also written on Scott Grove's youtube video): Does Wood Type, Finish, and Mass Matter on a Electric Guitar?

pero he answered:

I could cite my previous hollowbody as an example. I would feel the sound resonate off the F holes. I'm sure other hollowbodied owners felt this too. That vibration is coming from your strings travelling to the bridge down to the wood. The wood absorbs it, the wood is not dead.

sa sagot niya kasi parang eto ang bagay na tanong:  Does Guitar Design (solid vs semi-hollow) Matter on a Electric Guitar?

:-D

Err..

What was the question again?  :-D :-D :-D
buzz free