hulika

Author Topic: Anung e Reader ang Gamit Mo?  (Read 16347 times)

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
Anung e Reader ang Gamit Mo?
« on: February 19, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
Planning to buy one, i dont want to waste money on gadget na nakaka stress gamitin
Anung ereader nyo guys?
Madali ba syang gamitin, fun to read using it?

sorry kups lang.
"creeping deeaath"

Offline weedurpart2

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Anung e Reader ang Gamit Mo?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 10:30:35 AM »
I've got the Nook Color

Its a bit heavy, but I'm cool with it. its pretty straightforward and easy to use, haven't had problems with it, and its being used a lot. probably got about 200+ books and magazines in there.

my only issue with it is that it won't accept international credit cards, so I can't get apps and buy books from Barnes and Noble... not that i really need to buy ebooks. they're everywhere. don't really care for apps or games either. someone told me i could turn it into an Android tablet, but eh. im using it for books, emails and Twitter. thats it.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »

Borrowed my friend's kindle for a while.

I loved reading with it. actually looked like paper. hindi masakit sa mata. :)
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 10:06:59 PM »
Thanks sa mga suggestion guys, naka try ako ng kobo device (touch and glo) sa nbs and i really like it, parang papel din yung screen. Yung nook color madaming features plus its colored pa pero sumasakit kasi mata ko sa lcd type screens sa mahabang pagbasa. D pa ko nakakatry ng kindle, sana may makita ako sa mall  :)
"creeping deeaath"

Offline weedurpart2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:11:03 AM »
Thanks sa mga suggestion guys, naka try ako ng kobo device (touch and glo) sa nbs and i really like it, parang papel din yung screen. Yung nook color madaming features plus its colored pa pero sumasakit kasi mata ko sa lcd type screens sa mahabang pagbasa. D pa ko nakakatry ng kindle, sana may makita ako sa mall  :)

yeeeah, it bothers me too sometimes thats why i turn the brightness way down low. what i originally wanted was the cheaper Kindle Paperwhite, but then i read comic books and magazines. might as well get a reader that can display those properly.

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
yeeeah, it bothers me too sometimes thats why i turn the brightness way down low. what i originally wanted was the cheaper Kindle Paperwhite, but then i read comic books and magazines. might as well get a reader that can display those properly.

That actually the major drawback :( hirap sa mga graphic novels and other colored stuff hahahaa pero other than that, it really easy on the eyes. :D

I've yet to try reading on an iPad Mini with Retina. Hopefully di sobrang sakit sa mata.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:02:29 AM »
wow, medyo nahihilig ako sa pagbabasa ngayon pero tablet gamit ko. Iba pa rin talaga pag e-reader no, di pa ako nakakatry. What do you mean na parang papel? hehe

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:08:18 AM »
wow, medyo nahihilig ako sa pagbabasa ngayon pero tablet gamit ko. Iba pa rin talaga pag e-reader no, di pa ako nakakatry. What do you mean na parang papel? hehe

as in yung display niya parang papel talaga. parang ink yung binabasa mo. search for KINDLE sa google para makita mo bro! :)

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 11:48:49 AM »
I'm using iBooks on my iPad Mini-Retina, great portability plus i'm not experiencing any eye strains with it.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
kindle, kobo, sony  and nook meron sila e-ink
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »

Bought this last month pa, the sheet/display is a little grayish, led light is a little bluish and cool to the eyes when on, but of course its better off, except when reading on bed.

Reviews says it can also read books/epubs not book purchased on their kobo site which is GREAT! But the kindle wont. I've downloaded lots of books and my kobo can read them! , this books costs a lot when purchased. But i purchased the first Ebook i am reading now (Way of the Kings by Brandon Sanderson), bought it just to compare with the infringed one i got,(theyre the same).

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:41:26 PM by inexperience »
"creeping deeaath"

Offline rammstein

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 12:36:51 AM »
i saw this device at national bookstore. looks like a really nice product. kumusta naman ang reading experience? i watched a few youtube demos and noticed that the screen turns totally black for a fraction of a sec when you turn the page. i guess it's the device's way of refreshing the display. hindi ba nakaka-bother while reading?

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
i saw this device at national bookstore. looks like a really nice product. kumusta naman ang reading experience? i watched a few youtube demos and noticed that the screen turns totally black for a fraction of a sec when you turn the page. i guess it's the device's way of refreshing the display. hindi ba nakaka-bother while reading?

I set up mine to refresh the screen after every 6 pages i dont know what refreshing the screen actually does, nope it doesn't bother me, and cause im having a good read  :). Its more relaxing to the eyes than reading on a plain white paper actually, i love the greyish appearance of the screen.
"creeping deeaath"

Offline rammstein

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 05:20:59 PM »
thanks for the feedback, sir! i'm getting one, too!  :wave:

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2015, 06:13:08 PM »
I own a Kobo glo, and it's a really great ereader! Like most people who love ereaders, I can say it really takes a lot of strain off the eyes. Even with my iPad2, I could never find the right brightness level - just the right brightness but still hurtful to the eyes, or comfortable but too dim.

I chose the Kobo over the Kindle because it's cheaper, it reads most ebook formats, and it has an SD card slot. I got the glo version (with frontlight, like the Kindle Paperwhite) not for the "white paper" effect, but because figuring in a decent book lamp with a standard Kobo woud equal the price of the glo.

The pros are all there: charges quickly, drains in two weeks with heavy use, nice looking highlighted text pages. You can also set the refresh rate (I set mine to every 5 pages) and the fonts and sizes without going into a separate settings page. The only real drawback is the text selection tool. As infrared sensor screens arent as precise as capacitive ones, selection is quite a chore. My Kobo has an issue with WiFi though, so I wasn't able to use the "share your highlighted quote on Facebook" feature, but I was able to try downloading ebooks directly from the device using the built-in web browser before the WiFi feature went bonkers, and I admit that was pretty cool.

Of course for comics and graphic novels, it won't really work, as the screen is too small and the processor too slow. I'd much rather buy a nice tablet to read such material, as Mirasol-type displays aren't up to par with OLED yet in terms of color reproduction.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 02:01:20 PM »
^^
 Thanks for reminding that this (kobo) is a great device. Its been a while since i've read a thing. I'll start American Gods tonight, and maybe 50 bitches of grey. haha
"creeping deeaath"

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 02:12:06 PM »
^^
 Thanks for reminding that this (kobo) is a great device. Its been a while since i've read a thing. I'll start American Gods tonight, and maybe 50 bitches of grey. haha

dun pala sa screen refresh: with an e-ink screen, not every "page turn" is a "full refresh," meaning there will be ghosting because not all the particles/pixels completely do a 180 turn because the device uses only enough power to passably display the next page. Try setting the refresh rate at 10 pages, and you'd get a dirty page with text from 5 pages ago. Hence when you set the refresh rate to, say, every 5 pages, on the 5th page turn, the screen goes full black then a clean page, using extra power to turn all the particles/pixels as complete blacks and whites.

Some more advanced e-ink displays like the ones used on Pebble smartwatches do not have this behavior.

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:32:24 PM »
dun pala sa screen refresh: with an e-ink screen, not every "page turn" is a "full refresh," meaning there will be ghosting because not all the particles/pixels completely do a 180 turn because the device uses only enough power to passably display the next page. Try setting the refresh rate at 10 pages, and you'd get a dirty page with text from 5 pages ago. Hence when you set the refresh rate to, say, every 5 pages, on the 5th page turn, the screen goes full black then a clean page, using extra power to turn all the particles/pixels as complete blacks and whites.

Some more advanced e-ink displays like the ones used on Pebble smartwatches do not have this behavior.

AFAIK and remember I didn't experience this on purchased copies (from kobo site), when I started to use what you call this "infringed copies" there were times it all goes black and hangs that i have to reset it, that happens when i do a lot of back and forth on pages, hindi naman madalas so its ok i still finished those reads. Subukan ko mamya yung higher refresh rate, hehe.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 02:38:50 PM by inexperience »
"creeping deeaath"

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 03:19:32 PM »
AFAIK and remember I didn't experience this on purchased copies (from kobo site), when I started to use what you call this "infringed copies" there were times it all goes black and hangs that i have to reset it, that happens when i do a lot of back and forth on pages, hindi naman madalas so its ok i still finished those reads. Subukan ko mamya yung higher refresh rate, hehe.

Actually it does always go full black regardless of the legitimacy of the copy, that's just how e-ink displays work. You just don't notice it coz it's just as fast as when you flip a real page  :) Try loading one of those books with full photo covers; the effect is much more noticeable coz the screen will be forced to refresh anyway because there's too many black pixels that were on. If it hangs though, well, I guess you can blame it on infringed copies. I'm guessing merong basura code dun sa file because of conversion to epubs without DRM

Offline inexperience

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
Actually it does always go full black regardless of the legitimacy of the copy, that's just how e-ink displays work. You just don't notice it coz it's just as fast as when you flip a real page  :) Try loading one of those books with full photo covers; the effect is much more noticeable coz the screen will be forced to refresh anyway because there's too many black pixels that were on. If it hangs though, well, I guess you can blame it on infringed copies. I'm guessing merong basura code dun sa file because of conversion to epubs without DRM

As long as you're having a good read its not an issue naman, but dun sa mga infringe copies din  kasi formatted kasi sya for a specific device, magkaiba yung page na naka indicate sa device(glo) and dun sa page mismo, is what causes the overload with these copies is if pag nag turn ka ng pages ng mabilis, tas lalu na pag may sudden backwards, and i forget about viewing photos/ illustrations, hindi talaga sya para dun.  :lol:
"creeping deeaath"

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 04:48:07 PM »
As long as you're having a good read its not an issue naman, but dun sa mga infringe copies din  kasi formatted kasi sya for a specific device, magkaiba yung page na naka indicate sa device(glo) and dun sa page mismo, is what causes the overload with these copies is if pag nag turn ka ng pages ng mabilis, tas lalu na pag may sudden backwards, and i forget about viewing photos/ illustrations, hindi talaga sya para dun.  :lol:

yeah bad trip yung different page numbers, but then kung epub yung source material nya, dapat wala talaga, at depende sa font size ang pagination. malamang galing sa PDF yung mga may page numbers kaya nakakacontribute sa crashes.

Offline mozart123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 06:27:35 PM »
acer iconia gamit ko ngayon kobo at kindle app naka install sa akin. kaya lang mabigat sa kamay.

kung me pera gusto ko bilhin levo ebook holder kaso mahal shipping.
check out my new page:Condo for sale Luzon.

Offline marzi

• Ang Na Ang Na!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
A 7 inch android phablet with fine tuned Aldiko app works for me.

Sent from my K012 using Tapatalk

I turned myself into a monster to fight against the monsters of the world.

Earth Crisis - Nemesis

Offline j.nikko3123

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2015, 03:18:35 PM »
Replaced my old kobo with a new Kindle Paperwhite,and astonishingly kindle's e-ink is better.
"Join the darkside,we have cookies."

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »
Replaced my old kobo with a new Kindle Paperwhite,and astonishingly kindle's e-ink is better.

interesting. but I still won't change so I can sideload ebooks  :wink: