hulika

Author Topic: X2M - Demo Album  (Read 29450 times)

Offline ytse_neil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: X2M - Demo Album
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2011, 12:20:51 PM »

New song...

'Aminin'

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10604108

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

ok yung guitar fill ins..ganda..

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2011, 05:52:24 PM »
ok yung guitar fill ins..ganda..

Salamat sir!

Offline Musikerochan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2011, 12:52:25 PM »
swabe. linis din ng recording. independent? parang big major label eh.

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2011, 01:28:29 PM »
swabe. linis din ng recording. independent? parang big major label eh.

Thanks, record lang sa bahay.

Offline hatfield110

« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »
Pinapakinggan ko yung mga kanta n'yo dito: http://tentomidnight.webs.com/

Galing mga sir! Nakaka-refresh makinig ng mga ganitong kanta in a way. Keep it up. Mabuhay ang OPM! :mrgreen:

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
Pinapakinggan ko yung mga kanta n'yo dito: http://tentomidnight.webs.com/

Galing mga sir! Nakaka-refresh makinig ng mga ganitong kanta in a way. Keep it up. Mabuhay ang OPM! :mrgreen:

Salamat hatfield110, more to come.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks for listening guys!
X2M Coffee Moment: Did want You

New Manila Sound

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:43 PM »
Shameless plug!

X2M will be performing at

• Soulfege2, 16 December 2011, Route 196

• UNA Productions' Year Ender Gig, 26 December 2011, Autonomy Bar.

New Manila Sound

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

New song...

'Alinlangan'

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10738969

Offline bananagrahamskyflakes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2011, 08:38:27 PM »
AJ/Tony

I'm feeling honest today.

Feedback on Alinlangan.

About the song and perfromance:
- great lyrics. very honest performance.

About recording:
- guitars are a bit too upfront and dry. could use a little warmth.
- some noise here and there (clicks and pops). I'll send you the exact spots soon.
- a few sloppy parts. one take lang ba tong gitara?
- vocals can be a bit harsh. some notes are flat. backing vocals feel un-natural, nakakagulat nung pumasok.
- could you remove the count in before the song?
- overall the recording sounds raw.

Recommendations:
- invest on better mics, don't try to fix everything through mixing.
or
- instead of doing everything by yourself, save the money you spend on gear and record in a studio(pili ka nga lang ng ok na recording studio).
that way you can focus on the songwriting/arrangement/performance <- I'm not saying that you guys are bad at songwriting/arrangement/performance,  you two make great songs, but...

... it's time to upgrade the recording!

Of course if you're happy with the song, and if you're happy with what you've accomplished, then everything's fine and just disregard everything I said.

I personally don't ask for feedback anymore because who the hell is anyone to tell me what's good to my ears, right  (especially if I was the one who slaved over everything)? They can take their feedback and apply it to themselves or better yet, they can shove it up their a$$.

BTW I'll try to drop by on Friday sa Route 196

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2011, 12:04:59 AM »
Noted:  Thanks Deo!

New Manila Sound

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #86 on: December 14, 2011, 08:32:51 AM »
replying...

buzzed...

About recording:
- guitars are a bit too upfront and dry. could use a little warmth.
- some noise here and there (clicks and pops). I'll send you the exact spots soon.
- a few sloppy parts. one take lang ba tong gitara?
- vocals can be a bit harsh. some notes are flat. backing vocals feel un-natural, nakakagulat nung pumasok.
- could you remove the count in before the song?
- overall the recording sounds raw.

Galing mo ah... kungang-kuha...

...nadama mo mga frustrations ko sa likod ng recording.

Ang totoo nyan, hindi ko talaga mairecord ng maganda 'to. Meron akong hinahabol na tunog ng gitara na di ko magawa. Ang tagal ko nagtitimpla ng effects... ala talaga... hindi kaya...

...kaya ayun, bigo.

Recommendations:
- invest on better mics, don't try to fix everything through mixing.
or
- instead of doing everything by yourself, save the money you spend on gear and record in a studio(pili ka nga lang ng ok na recording studio).
that way you can focus on the songwriting/arrangement/performance <- I'm not saying that you guys are bad at songwriting/arrangement/performance,  you two make great songs, but...

... it's time to upgrade the recording!

Something to look forward to... never been to a recording studio.

...sana

balang araw...

Of course if you're happy with the song, and if you're happy with what you've accomplished, then everything's fine and just disregard everything I said.

I personally don't ask for feedback anymore because who the hell is anyone to tell me what's good to my ears, right  (especially if I was the one who slaved over everything)? They can take their feedback and apply it to themselves or better yet, they can shove it up their a$$.

I appreciate feedback mainly because of my curiosity in knowing the song's impact to listeners...

...mayroong natutuwa, may nabu-bwiset, may nagagalit, tapos, merong... wala-lang...

After all, music is meant to affect emotion.

Specially appreciated syempre kung feedback na galing sa'yo, kase, ikaw...

...aside from hearing the song in it's entirety, you also listen to the instrumentation & recording quality.

Too bad natapatan ng 'window-of-honesty' mo yung one-of-the-weaker recordings namin...

ang totoo nyan... the last song that I spent ridiculously large amount of hours on... was actually your song....

'that old feeling' http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7158178

Ang tagal ko nagbabad dyan, day in day out...

yan yung most recent na pinagkaabalahan ko eh...

Although yung interpretation namin... I feel that it's far from the actual emotion that the song embodies... I see it more like...

looking at it from a different perspective.

'di pa tapos, voice draft pa lang yan, 'di pa swak yung ibang melody, tinesting lang ni x... 1 run recording...
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10835442
don't expect too much..

BTW I'll try to drop by on Friday sa Route 196

Kitakits  :-o
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:10:58 AM by poposplanet »

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: December 14, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
OT

Yeah, the frustration behind recording, I know all too well.  I've tried the DIY route - got frustrated, took the recording studio route, still got frustrated, went back to the DIY route, and well, I'm just about ready to quit.

You're right, music is meant to affect emotion and if we are merely to focus on that, then the recording quality will not matter as much since all we have to do is achieve a minimum standard (words and melody are clear, volume is not too loud, noise at an acceptable level).

Unfortunately, it's not just that. It's about reinforcement. That's what drives us. Because we created something that we believe is good and we need that thought to be reinforced. So we keep trying to come up with better writing, better recordings, better everything or at least what we think is better... thinking that this will help us get more people to appreciate our songs. But no matter what we do, the truth is, this appreciation, this reinforcement, cannot be achieved through the technical aspects. Like all other things, people like things that they can associate with. And no matter how beautifully you've written your lyrics, how great the arrangement,  or how perfectly you've recorded/mixed it, if it's not something that your listener can associate with beyond a lyrical level, then it's all for nothing.

BTT:

I think you nailed the emotions on that old feeling.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: December 14, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »
OT

Yeah, the frustration behind recording, I know all too well.  I've tried the DIY route - got frustrated, took the recording studio route, still got frustrated, went back to the DIY route, and well, I'm just about ready to quit.

I've done and have relative experience in studio recording, and the only difference where I'm concerned is the where.  Personally, I'd rather do home recording where I can make my own corrections at my own time and not be pressured to finish a track when I don't feel like it.  Sure, there are limitations, but the listeners won't really know that.  In fact, those limitations actually allow me, personally, to do more and do better because I'm aware of the limitations.

You're right, music is meant to affect emotion and if we are merely to focus on that, then the recording quality will not matter as much since all we have to do is achieve a minimum standard (words and melody are clear, volume is not too loud, noise at an acceptable level).

To some, the recording actually sounds good (as opposed to good enough). 

Unfortunately, it's not just that. It's about reinforcement. That's what drives us. Because we created something that we believe is good and we need that thought to be reinforced. So we keep trying to come up with better writing, better recordings, better everything or at least what we think is better... thinking that this will help us get more people to appreciate our songs. But no matter what we do, the truth is, this appreciation, this reinforcement, cannot be achieved through the technical aspects. Like all other things, people like things that they can associate with. And no matter how beautifully you've written your lyrics, how great the arrangement,  or how perfectly you've recorded/mixed it, if it's not something that your listener can associate with beyond a lyrical level, then it's all for nothing.

Slow but sure.  If we were backed by a record producer, we won't have these technical matters to deal with, but, I assure you, our intrinsic quality will suffer.  I'd rather have an honest home recording than a forced studio recording.
BTT:

I think you nailed the emotions on that old feeling

Hopefully, we can hammer it down a bit further...

New Manila Sound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2011, 12:13:46 AM »
To some, the recording actually sounds good (as opposed to good enough). 
I'm not referring to your recording of Alinlangan but recording music in general

Slow but sure.  If we were backed by a record producer, we won't have these technical matters to deal with, but, I assure you, our intrinsic quality will suffer.  I'd rather have an honest home recording than a forced studio recording.
Hopefully, we can hammer it down a bit further...

When I said reinforcement, I wasn't referring to record producers.

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2011, 03:20:29 AM »

I-inom na natin 'to.

Our frustrations have different roots, they all breach out but still intertwine.

I don't know if you've come across it, but X wrote down an essay entitled 'Writing for myself'... bago pa ako sa Philmusic when I read it... but somehow it worded out the my sentiments about songwriting and all. Appreciation is the least of my concerns. I make & create because I can't help myself. Sometimes an expression just wants to come out, & several excruciating hours later, I'll have a listenable draft. Even though I post it here & there, I don't really expect anyone else to listen to it, & more-so, actually 'like' it, but in the rare cases that someone actually listens & gives feed back, be it good or bad... with all honesty, I really do appreciate whatever comments they feed in.

Recording process, the way I view it, is a marriage between skill & art. There are stuff that needs to be learned; but there are also things that can't be taught. I don't want to concern myself with the technical aspect anymore because it always equates to $. That's probably the reason why I don't 'reinforce' that much.

In our age of Lady Gaga & Girls Gen, my daughter would probably grow up saying the same thing other forum members here say... "buti pa no'ng panahon natin, maganda music"... it's probably because people tend to associate with the music that they grew up with.

I grew up with OLD songs that I still appreciate up until now, I'm still growing, but this time, it's along with our songs... & I'm really happy that I get to interact with SWPH family.

It's OK to get frustrated at times but not to dwell on it to much.

After all, music should be our outlet not our source of frustration. :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:22:14 AM by poposplanet »

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
I'm not referring to your recording of Alinlangan but recording music in general

So was I.

When I said reinforcement, I wasn't referring to record producers.

Unfortunately, there are no other comparative measures with home recording.  I can always content myself when people do react positively to our home recordings when they do find out they are as such.  Point is, most listeners, even some musicians, don't know the difference between a well-recorded "clean" DIY and a clean studio recording.

So, without any other reference points, we use our old recordings as basis.  We're only as good as our last song, after all.

I-inom na natin 'to.

Our frustrations have different roots, they all breach out but still intertwine.

They do.  Without those frustrations, though, we can't be objective when we have to.

I don't know if you've come across it, but X wrote down an essay entitled 'Writing for myself'... bago pa ako sa Philmusic when I read it... but somehow it worded out the my sentiments about songwriting and all. Appreciation is the least of my concerns. I make & create because I can't help myself. Sometimes an expression just wants to come out, & several excruciating hours later, I'll have a listenable draft. Even though I post it here & there, I don't really expect anyone else to listen to it, & more-so, actually 'like' it, but in the rare cases that someone actually listens & gives feed back, be it good or bad... with all honesty, I really do appreciate whatever comments they feed in.

I believe, that's still the reason why I write, still.

Recording process, the way I view it, is a marriage between skill & art. There are stuff that needs to be learned; but there are also things that can't be taught. I don't want to concern myself with the technical aspect anymore because it always equates to $. That's probably the reason why I don't 'reinforce' that much.

Reinforcement comes in many forms.

In our age of Lady Gaga & Girls Gen, my daughter would probably grow up saying the same thing other forum members here say... "buti pa no'ng panahon natin, maganda music"... it's probably because people tend to associate with the music that they grew up with.

I grew up with OLD songs that I still appreciate up until now, I'm still growing, but this time, it's along with our songs... & I'm really happy that I get to interact with SWPH family.

Case-to-case.  My eldest daughter seem to like the classics more than I do.  You and I though, seem to hit the same "chords" when it comes to appreciating and writing music.

It's OK to get frustrated at times but not to dwell on it to much.

After all, music should be our outlet not our source of frustration. :D

True that!  It's when I stopped being frustrated making music that I actually began writing good music.

New Manila Sound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
... Appreciation is the least of my concerns. I make & create because I can't help myself. Sometimes an expression just wants to come out, & several excruciating hours later, I'll have a listenable draft. Even though I post it here & there, I don't really expect anyone else to listen to it, & more-so, actually 'like' it, but in the rare cases that someone actually listens & gives feed back, be it good or bad... with all honesty, I really do appreciate whatever comments they feed in.

Good for you. I used to say that too.

But what really irks me is when I hear other musicians/songwriters say that they are all about expressing themselves but complain that nobody listens to their music because the only thing that people listen to are Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga songs. If they are just about expressing themselves, then they shouldn't complain. Their reward is in the expression and not the reception.

To further explain, I have this very simple spectrum:

On one side of the spectrum we have all about Expression - this person is all about his art. There are many posers in this group.

On the other side is all about Reception - this person is all about what sells(this doesn't necessarily have to be money). I think this is the most honest group

In the middle we have those who balance Expression and Reception - this person balances his art and what sells. again still some posers here.

I don't think any one groups is better than the other. I just don't like it when one says that their on one side when they're really on the other.

As for me, I thought that I was on the first group. But I've realized that what's more important to me is the reception of my expressions. So I guess now I belong to the opposite end of the spectrum.

dapat nga maginum tayo.

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2011, 06:18:26 PM »
Good for you. I used to say that too.

But what really irks me is when I hear other musicians/songwriters say that they are all about expressing themselves but complain that nobody listens to their music because the only thing that people listen to are Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga songs. If they are just about expressing themselves, then they shouldn't complain. Their reward is in the expression and not the reception.

To further explain, I have this very simple spectrum:

On one side of the spectrum we have all about Expression - this person is all about his art. There are many posers in this group.

On the other side is all about Reception - this person is all about what sells(this doesn't necessarily have to be money). I think this is the most honest group

In the middle we have those who balance Expression and Reception - this person balances his art and what sells. again still some posers here.

I don't think any one groups is better than the other. I just don't like it when one says that their on one side when they're really on the other.

As for me, I thought that I was on the first group. But I've realized that what's more important to me is the reception of my expressions. So I guess now I belong to the opposite end of the spectrum.

I believe there is an element of evolution in every musician.  When I was too concerned about what other people think and what sells 2 decades ago, I wrote "bad" songs.  When I stopped songwriting, i stopped being concerned about what other people think.  But, the music actually kept coming, until one day, it became too "annoying" to ignore, i started "writing" again.

It's a process.  No one songwriter can claim that everything one wrote were best, even in a personal perspective.  There are always bad ones, good ones, better ones.  But, personally, those that I wrote without regard of what others would think, are the better ones.  Reception, therefore is a very distant secondary concern.  If people like it, then it's affirmation.  If they don't, I take note of it.

Of course, there's that inner voice in all of us that need to be recognized.  It's all a matter of knowing if that voice is being objective or not.  Doing that is like tip-toeing in the dark, knowing there are sharp pieces of glass everywhere.

dapat nga maginum tayo.

See you tomorrow!

New Manila Sound

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2012, 12:19:16 AM »

Hi All,

...finished remixing our song 'Did Want You'

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9598263

Offline vitek

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:41 AM »

Ang sarap pakinggan ng mga songs niyo sir... Thumbs up
♫ Transgression and Instrumental Virtuosity ♫                                                             

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2012, 11:20:47 AM »
sayang cant listen to it right now blocked sa office DAMN. ilan ba kayo sa band?
yada yada yada.....

Offline sonikyut

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2012, 12:51:32 PM »
 :-D cool song
It's heavy metal fatigue.                                                                                                      Postlude.

"Biruin mo na ang lasing maging ang bagong gising, wag lang sa βading na inagawan ng booking"... - George Harrison

Offline poposplanet

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2012, 03:35:08 PM »
Ang sarap pakinggan ng mga songs niyo sir... Thumbs up

Thanks, sir!

sayang cant listen to it right now blocked sa office DAMN. ilan ba kayo sa band?

5 kami

:-D cool song

Thanks  :)

Offline matanglawin

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2012, 04:11:31 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys!

New Manila Sound