hulika

Author Topic: Guitar amps for touring  (Read 5200 times)

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guitar amps for touring
« on: February 11, 2010, 02:47:13 PM »
Pashare naman ng mga different guitar amps that most bands request on most shows nowadays. 

According to one store manager of perfect pitch,  there are 3 types: 1) all tube, 2) hybrid (tube preamp & solid-state amp and 3) standard.  Tnx.

Offline stoney73

Re: Guitar amps for touring
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
For an all-tube I'll go for FENDER Twin Reverb.

For a hybrid, FENDER Stage160.

Fender Twin Reverb

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:11:36 PM by stoney73 »
"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is STILL the wrong piece of gear".

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
VOX AC30 custom classic for an 'all-tube' guitar amp.

2x12 combo with Celestion AlNiCo "Blue" speakers.

p98888 last updated price.

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 04:10:12 PM »
VOX AC30 custom classic for an 'all-tube' guitar amp.

2x12 combo with Celestion AlNiCo "Blue" speakers.

p98888 last updated price.

Sir, sa perfect pitch mo nabili ito? 

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
My old and reliable peavey special 212 pero i think discontinued na.  :-D May owners pa ba nito dto?

Offline in_the_tent

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
i suggest getting 1 2x12 combo and 1 halfstack
"The Lord is my Song.."

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »
peavey valveking 212

around 29thou

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:38:43 PM »
Pashare naman ng mga different guitar amps that most bands request on most shows nowadays.  

According to one store manager of perfect pitch,  there are 3 types: 1) all tube, 2) hybrid (tube preamp & solid-state amp and 3) standard.  Tnx.

Sino kausap mo sa Perfect Pitch?  Kung yan ang sagot niya sayo...  

:lol:    :lol:    :lol:

Re:#3 Actually there is no such thing as 'standard' amp.  Maybe he meant purely solidstate.  Pero may dalawa ring klase... DIGITAL AND ANALOG.  At sa analog may dalawa ring klase, FET-based and discrete.  

Re#2: Sa hybrid may dalawa ring klase... ss-preamp tube power (eg. Fender Champ SE, Marshall Artist 30), and vice versa (eg. Marshall AVT amps, Laney Tubefusion, etc.).

JMO... tube amps are the best way to go if tube maintenance is NOT an issue.  You'd blow them every so often when they get banged around or when they get abused... if you bring 'em out for 6-hour shows 3x a week, expect the tubes to wear in 5-6 months.  Preamp tubes get microphonic sometimes when the amps get tossed around often.  Overheating can also mess with some extra modern features in an amp like MIDI switching and relays.  On top of that, you need a tech to rebias your amp every time you have a tube change so you don't die of 470V fed to the tubes.

But in the world of 'maintenance-free' amps are concerned, HIGH-VOLUME Hughes And Kettners are teh win-win.  The Attax Series and Tour Reverb Series are almost tube-like, and the nice thing is, they are light, and they sound mean.  Mesa meets Marshall IMO.  Tech 21 Trademark 300 and Trademark 120 are great too but they can get a little fuzzy.  Lab Series L4, L5, L7 and L9 if you want that tube-like fat overdrive you often hear from Fenders.  Ask BB King. ;)  If you want Fender, try the Fender Stage 185 red knob series. Marshall MOSFET Lead 100s are also great if you want that old JCM800 sound only a little fuzzier.

Digital amps...  Hmmm.  I think my vote goes to Yamaha DG-100 212, Rocktron Replitone and Vox AD120VTX (the older blue-colored model).  Line 6 Spiders are c**p compared to those previously mentioned.  

If I had a heavily-rented sound system that goes remote so often, I'd get 4 half-stacks of H&K Tour Reverb or Attax 200/Attax 100s.  Maybe Lab Series L5 to cover Fender sounds...

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:53:48 PM by skunkyfunk »

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
peavey bandit112 p 18290 last updated price  :wink:

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
peavey classic 50/212 p42990 last updated price

Offline stoney73

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 03:34:14 PM »
LINE 6 Spider™ III 150 Guitar Combo Amplifier at Yupangco
Php 32,999.00

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is STILL the wrong piece of gear".

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
great thread.  puwede sumali?

speaking as a guitarist who's played thru and owned crappy gear, i highly recommend Peavey Bandits.  These things are cheap, practically bulletproof, and have a good serviceable clean tone that works well with pedals.  imho, don't bother with amps with a distinctive voice (Vox, Fender, Marshall, et al), since most bands use pedalboards to make their sound anyway.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline spankyrigor

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 09:11:25 AM »
i agree with tapslore. among the solid state amps, those are the most decent.
Forget the Marshall Valvestates or the MG's; those are too thin.

Forget tube amps for touring. hindi yan masisira sa mga gitarista. Masisira yan sa pagbiyahe.

sometimes though, you MUST provide tube amps (for example if you're providing for Bamboo or Slapshock or whoever)

BTW if your'e providing 2 amps for an event, Please give two amps that are similar in power. i.e. Don't provide one Half-stack and one Combo. Bands nowadays don't have "one lead guitarist and one rhythm guitarist". Usually they either have two purely rhythm guitarists, or two lead guitarists that regularly trade solos. We have pedals to take care of the levels when soloing, but our rhythm levels have to be balanced.

miking amps? that's another topic altogether.  :wink:
We are the authorized Philippines Dealer for the following brands:

www.strymon.net * www.maxonfx.com * www.voodoolab.com * www.godlyke.com * www.neunabertechnology.com * www.mieffects.com * spudmusicmnl@yahoo.com 09165923814

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 10:04:20 AM »
i agree with tapslore. among the solid state amps, those are the most decent.
Forget the Marshall Valvestates or the MG's; those are too thin.

Forget tube amps for touring. hindi yan masisira sa mga gitarista. Masisira yan sa pagbiyahe.

sometimes though, you MUST provide tube amps (for example if you're providing for Bamboo or Slapshock or whoever)

BTW if your'e providing 2 amps for an event, Please give two amps that are similar in power. i.e. Don't provide one Half-stack and one Combo. Bands nowadays don't have "one lead guitarist and one rhythm guitarist". Usually they either have two purely rhythm guitarists, or two lead guitarists that regularly trade solos. We have pedals to take care of the levels when soloing, but our rhythm levels have to be balanced.

miking amps? that's another topic altogether.  :wink:

Thank you sir and even kay sir tapslore sa mga valuable infos nyo.  We need such infos especially coming from the points of view of artists so that we can decide better on what bands are really looking for.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline tjlimjoco

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:07:11 AM »
Thanks din kay sir skunkyfunk for the very good reminders :-D 

Offline Jef2

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 05:16:29 PM »
Peavey TransTube Amps: Punch-packin’ little powerhouses with flair and flexibility  8-)

Bandit112 18290 srp
Rage258   5490 srp
Envoy110 10830 srp

The Peavey TransTube Rage 258, Envoy 110, and Bandit 112 guitar amps incorporate all the benefits of modern solid-state technology with none of the drawbacks. On the plus side, Peavey’s engineers have really nailed tube-style response and distortion in lightweight, maintenance-free, affordable, reliable, powerful combos with a wealth of tonal options. On the down side...there is no down side. The thin, harsh-edged, or cartoonish tones that sometimes emanate from low-end solid state amps are entirely, blessedly absent.

Offline lowriderthug

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 11:36:55 PM »
music is what feelings sounds like

Offline tom_morelo2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »
gt212 kamusta po kaya ang guitar amp na ito? thanks