hulika

Author Topic: HELP mga Experts!!! Recording Software and Interface for GUITAR!!!  (Read 2565 times)

Offline hordex

• Veteran Member
mga experts!

any recommendations?
actually i have no idea on the software and interface( hardware )...di pa ako nakasubok mag record with my guitar...

sino ba dito willing to teach me one on one ( with free snak syempre, hehehehe ).. ang gusto ko lang is to record my instrument ( guitar, bass ) and vocals...yung drums ba pde na sa software kunin?...

ano ano po kailangan ko gamit and software??

PM nlng po..

Thanks!!

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
Re: HELP mga Experts!!! Recording Software and Interface for GUITAR!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Since I suspect you are more of a guitarist composer I would recomend you get a toneport of line6. Yupangco sells them in their stores. If you plan to record voice then get Toneport UX1 or Ux2 The higher the model, the more option you will have. You can also try Maudio and other interfaces.  But Line6 toneport is highly recomended for guitarists.

For software the most commonly used is Sonar6 or Sonar7. I highly recommend SOnar7 if you PC has enough capacity. Get at 2gb if you can... or 1gb memory at least. You will not notice the difference on memory capacity on recording tracks. But when you get to aroung 20tracks to mix plus you start using effects and other plug ins, the memory thing becomes a necessity.

Others recording people use other recording software. But I would suggest you jump into Sonar7 so that you can master it as time pass by. And do away with learning and relearning when jumping from one software to another.

Protools is an industry standard, tho it is a has been software (this is a matter of opinion which is obviously debatable), the reason why its still being used is mainly because the big pros who has been around are accustomed to using this software. And projects are not usually worked on one studio alone. So it is necessary to have a uniform software used when moving from one studio to another so as to keep the project and elements intact. But I believe protools has been outdated ever since sonar came out.

For a begineer in recording projects it is wise to use a drum software. Tracking real drums can be expensive.

Hope this helps.

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:15:27 AM »
But I believe protools has been outdated ever since sonar came out.

I beg to disagree on your comment. Pro Tools has not been outdated nor has it remain stagnant. Digidesign has been there for almost 25 years and I don't see any reason for them to stop. In fact, more and more products are being developed and introduced into the market. The main reason why you might be saying this is probably you haven't tried the newer versions and has probably stopped somewhere and never upgraded.

I have been a Pro Tools user for a dozen years now and I can definitely say that Pro Tools has gone a long way. In fact, I would love to show everyone here what Pro Tools CAN DO NOW. Just name your date and place. I would really like to show all the new features of Pro Tools.

BTW, if you are thinking about getting a Pro Tools system, (yes, it is a system) the Pro Tools software comes free with the hardware. You are just purchasing the hardware and not the software.

Again, just like my invitation for the listening test, let me show you you what Pro Tools can do.

Cheers!

Offline planters

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
mga experts!

any recommendations?
actually i have no idea on the software and interface( hardware )...di pa ako nakasubok mag record with my guitar...

sino ba dito willing to teach me one on one ( with free snak syempre, hehehehe ).. ang gusto ko lang is to record my instrument ( guitar, bass ) and vocals...yung drums ba pde na sa software kunin?...

ano ano po kailangan ko gamit and software??

PM nlng po..

Thanks!!

in case na gusto mo ng interface na may bundled na software
http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,101585.0.html

Offline nolit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 11:11:35 AM »
I beg to disagree on your comment. Pro Tools has not been outdated nor has it remain stagnant. Digidesign has been there for almost 25 years and I don't see any reason for them to stop. In fact, more and more products are being developed and introduced into the market. The main reason why you might be saying this is probably you haven't tried the newer versions and has probably stopped somewhere and never upgraded.

I have been a Pro Tools user for a dozen years now and I can definitely say that Pro Tools has gone a long way. In fact, I would love to show everyone here what Pro Tools CAN DO NOW. Just name your date and place. I would really like to show all the new features of Pro Tools.

BTW, if you are thinking about getting a Pro Tools system, (yes, it is a system) the Pro Tools software comes free with the hardware. You are just purchasing the hardware and not the software.

Again, just like my invitation for the listening test, let me show you you what Pro Tools can do.

Cheers!

As I mentioned in my original reply, its a debatable issue. I was actually qouting from a sound engineer who works for warner USA and explained to us in detail why a lot of people think protools has been behind from what sonar developed since it introduced its new engine. Its a matter of opinion really. I do work on protools mainly for reasons I mentioned earlier.  I was just suggesting my oen opinion.

Offline ailes

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:26:26 PM »
i agree with sir abusound..

Pro Tools so far is the best from any other softwares used professionally.. i got to learn comments from composers, musicians and fellow engrs.. who are really convinced with its capabilities..
Cookies in a Jar
Music online.. Web development..

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:34:44 AM »
i agree with sir abusound..

Pro Tools so far is the best from any other softwares used professionally.. i got to learn comments from composers, musicians and fellow engrs.. who are really convinced with its capabilities..

Not exactly an unbiased opinion, right?

Here's my take... PT is great because it combines bulletproof hardware with good software. The software could be better in some aspects of operation, but at least PT excels in assuring track count. There are other aspects that are clouding my opinion right now, but it is partly attributable to the age of our G5s here. The bottom line is that PT is great at what it can do, but like all things, it also has its foibles that leave me scratching my head sometimes, and other DAW software definitely outshine it in the midi department, even as of version 7.4.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline hordex

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 12:46:34 AM »
nalula ako sa mga discussions nyo...hehehe :?
anyway, thanks sa info! :-D

but what i need is a simple recorder, para kasing complicated na yung mga recommendations and discussions nyo e.. :? :? :?

salamat po

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:19:05 AM »
mga sir at boss, as i see, masyadong advance and topics like ProTools 7.4.x at Sonar 7 for the threadstarter. it seems starter/primer for guitar solo recording with backing tracks ang gustong malaman ng ating fella.

all i can say is start with a nice interface that will suit your needs. PM sent.

P.S. IMHO, the most user friendly DAW is Ableton Live. and that't a lot of points for them. if you know how to use the features of your DAW then most likely, it will help you make the good sound that you are looking for.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:53:09 AM »
P.S. IMHO, the most user friendly DAW is Ableton Live. and that't a lot of points for them. if you know how to use the features of your DAW then most likely, it will help you make the good sound that you are looking for.  :-D

I have Live and I can tell you that multitrack recording through it, while it is capable, is not so straightforward as you might think. IMO, the TS might be better off using Reaper, or even Audacity. In the free soundfonts/software sticky, I included links for a lot of free recording software so that should be more than enough to get started with. Some interfaces even come with recording software - sometimes Cubase LE and Sonar LE versions are bundled with the interface.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 12:00:57 AM »
Some interfaces even come with recording software - sometimes Cubase LE and Sonar LE versions are bundled with the interface.

Im really curious about the capabilities and features of Cubase. Maybe i'll try it someday. Cubase LE bundled interface means cashing out for me again. I'll do some upgrades probably in the future. Im in currently in a 'save my money for now' mode. :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:39:50 AM »

but what i need is a simple recorder, para kasing complicated na yung mga recommendations and discussions nyo e.. :? :? :?

salamat po

The most basic interface that we have (nagtitinda nanaman ako!) for your interest (guitars,bass,vox and midi/loop drums) is the M-AUDIO Fast Track USB. 1 guitar/line in, 1 mic in, headphone and line out.
       If you are eyeing for something better eh I would recommend the M-AUDIO OZONE. It has 1 guitar in, 1 mic in w/ phantom power, a stereo line in, headphone and line outs. Its also a USB keyboard controller that you can use to program (or play realtime) midi for drums, keys and others.
      These stuff work with most softwares (plus PRO TOOLS M-POWERED) just in case you cant decide yet.
      If you want to go the PRO TOOLS direction then you could check out the M-BOX 2 MINI... It has a guitar/line in, mic in, headphone and line outs plus its already bundled with PRO TOOLS LE plus a bunch of plug-ins.
      Tawag ka na lang for any other questions... #556-0301

RAK!
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline alien_inside

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2008, 04:10:32 AM »
eto basic starting point in case troubled ka pa rin.
Get drum loops sa Guitar Pro by Cakewalk.
Soundforge/audition na lang gamitin mo software.
note: di ako expert.
ALLEN VC PASCUA, Keyboardist, Arranger, Audio Engineer0947 233 2263 (Int'l Roaming) InterContinental Hotels Group

https://www.facebook.com/allenvcpascua

Offline noobie-doobie

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 09:54:27 AM »

salamat po
Acoustica Mixcraft.. simpleng simple hehe

Offline chito25qc

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:29 AM »
@ hordex - try cool edit pro madali lang poh and gumagawa ako ng drum sa fruity loops :) sa torrent madami ma da download nyan...RnR!

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 11:32:07 PM »
naisip ko rin, pwede ka mag-download ng 14-day trial Ableton live DAW sa website nila. this one would even work on a pc stock soundcard.  :-D
- Miles Davis

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »
@ hordex - try cool edit pro madali lang poh and gumagawa ako ng drum sa fruity loops :) sa torrent madami ma da download nyan...RnR!

giving advice on getting a software over torrent aint cool dude!

Software companies, distributors and dealers also read posts here and some of them are also a member of philmusic.

One more thing... You can get banned by posting such things.
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]