hulika

Author Topic: Frustrated Jazz Musician  (Read 11791 times)

Offline 216zig

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Frustrated Jazz Musician
« on: October 16, 2010, 06:48:53 PM »
Good day! I am really interested in jazz music. Progressions, Scales, but I can't seem to play jazz like I play rock. Maybe because I don't have enough artists or music to listen to. I'm into Jazz Fusion and wants to sink deeper into jazz. :) Can someone help me become a jazz player? Give tips on chords? Thanks! :)

Offline edmund

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Frustrated Jazz Musician
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
kung mag jazz ka po ,start sa 30-50s era,

hanapin mo sila herb ellis,joe pass,

wag muna fusion malilito ka lang

ika nga ni senyor joel galang( isa sa pinakamainam na pianist dito):

fusion ng fusion hindi  naman alam ang roots ng jazz!

sana nakatulong   :-)

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 05:28:14 PM »

Yun na mismo!!!

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline 216zig

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:38:05 PM »
Salamat sa mga reply! :) puede ba malaman saan dapat mag simula specifically? Ang tagal ko na kasi gustong mag start mag aral ng jazz pero ang hirap talaga mag hanap. :( Balak ko na nga mag enroll sa music school para lang mag start matuto ng jazz. :(

Offline bluenote

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 08:00:40 AM »
Salamat sa mga reply! :) puede ba malaman saan dapat mag simula specifically? Ang tagal ko na kasi gustong mag start mag aral ng jazz pero ang hirap talaga mag hanap. :( Balak ko na nga mag enroll sa music school para lang mag start matuto ng jazz. :(

Jazz music is all about improvisation and the best way to learn that is to start with the blues...

The dragon has put out my fire.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 09:20:36 PM »
Jazz music is all about improvisation and the best way to learn that is to start with the blues...

this. the fundamentals of jazz is blues. and identifying the relative major key and scale.

getting a jazz music teacher definitely helps a lot.  :-)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline nancy brew

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »

Mismo Ulet!  :-D
Soli Deo Gloria.

william251082

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 04:19:21 PM »

Biktima ako dati nito! Akala ko ang lupit ko na dahil sisiw na lang sa 'kin ang mga Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen licks pero pag dating sa jazz and blues kulelat pa pala ako so I started relearning a lot of stuff and realized that there's a lot more in music than some fast licks.

Offline lenpopz

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »

Ouch.. :oops:
Don't become obsessed with sounding like one particular player and sounding exactly like him.

Offline dreddurius

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »
I violently agree with all the above posts. Tsaka add ko lang din:

Don't let the title fool you, applicable to sa lahat ng instruments. Ang swerte ko lang kasi tinago ng tatay ko to and nahalungkat ko lang lately. So back to square one for me.

edited:
Frustrated ako, and ang masama, I can't even call myself a jazz musician. Asa lang ako sa mga play-along tracks but I don't have the cojones to proactively seek out a band.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:18:59 PM by dreddurius »
Hi.

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »
this. the fundamentals of jazz is blues. and identifying the relative major key and scale.

getting a jazz music teacher definitely helps a lot.  :-)

Wow, hindi ko kinoconsider dati na blues will lead into jazz. I'm into blues and I can play a little but have been listening to a lot. jazz, I can't play, maybe because I haven't listen enough.

sino sa inyo dito may teacher talaga? haha ako nung una lang ngayon wala na. I think a good master would really help.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »

sino sa inyo dito may teacher talaga? haha ako nung una lang ngayon wala na. I think a good master would really help.

me.  :-D :-D :-D

i'm currently studying jazz for 2 months na. piano instrument ko. i did tried self study jazz in guitar, doesn't work  :-D. a good master does help plus 100. another good thing is kapag may teacher ka, he can design his lesson depende sa alam mo na sa theory at kung saan na yung playing level mo.  :-)
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline samuelfianza

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
Also a frustrated jazz musician here.

I can throw a guitar solo in jazz, but I can't do a whole chord progression.

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:33:16 AM »
Learn to play the blues first. Blues jazz ha hindi blues rock. :-)
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 08:49:52 PM »
Add pa ako  :-D, play seventh and minor seventh chord progressions of a particular key along with its relative blues (which is also the relative minor) scale.  :wink:
- Miles Davis

Offline jepbueno

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:01 AM »
Learn to play the blues first. Blues jazz ha hindi blues rock. :-)

May ganon pala?  :-D kaya pala

Offline fusionenigma

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:15 AM »
Ngek napagbaliktad ko. Correction: jazz blues. Joe Pass and Barney Kessel were masters of that particular style/form.
"One thing I like about jazz is that it emphasized doing things differently from what other people were doing." Herbie Hancock

Offline DarkKnight

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2010, 01:36:45 PM »
actually, jazz po ang nag-influence ng blues music (and not the other way around)

Ang suggestion ko, mag-aral ka jazz fundamentals.

Listen to jazz classics by John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Miles Davis, Dizzie Gillespie.

Offline saxmanronald

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
mali ka dark knight... mas nauna ang blues kesa jazz in its current form. yung mga binanggit mong examples are mostly from the 40s to 60s. Trane and Dizzy had their influences way before that and one of them was blues. it will be best to start with some of the older masters like lester young, benny goodman. Jazz kasi is an oral tradition to a certain extent so you have to dig real deep. And one of its sources was the blues.

Offline DarkKnight

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
hindi po ako mali.  Check mo muna sources mo mabuti before you rebutt statements.

From its early development until the present, jazz has incorporated music from the 18th and 20th century American popular music. Jazz has spawned a variety of subgenres: New Orleans Dixieland dating from the early 1910s, big band-style swing from the 1930s and 1940s, bebop from the mid-1940s, a variety of Latin jazz fusions such as Afro-Cuban and Brazilian jazz, free jazz from the 1950s and 1960s, jazz fusion from the 1970s, acid jazz from the 1980s (which added funk and hip-hop influences), and Nujazz in the 1990s.

Jazz spans Ragtime waltzes to 2000s-era fusion.  Ragtime (alternately spelled rag-time) is an original musical genre which enjoyed its peak popularity between 1897 and 1918. Its main characteristic trait is its syncopated, or "ragged," rhythm. It began as dance music in the red-light districts of American cities such as St. Louis and New Orleans years before being published as popular sheet music for piano. It was a modification of the march made popular by John Philip Sousa, with additional polyrhythms coming from African music.

While, Blues is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads. The blues form, ubiquitous in jazz, rhythm and blues, and rock and roll, is characterized by specific chord progressions, of which the twelve-bar blues chord progression is the most common. Blues can be subdivided into several subgenres ranging from country to urban blues that were more or less popular during different periods of the 20th century. Best known are the Delta, Piedmont, Jump and Chicago blues styles. World War II marked the transition from acoustic to electric blues and the progressive opening of blues music to a wider audience. In the 1960s and 1970s, a hybrid form called blues-rock evolved.

Siguro obvious naman mas earlier ang 18th century kesa end of 19th century, di ba? :D  Kaya historically mas nauna ang jazz kesa blues.

Also, here's another bit of trivia > Blues style music evolved from a fusion of different styles, like gospel, big band/bebop jazz -- and the blues originated from African-Americans in the Deep South who dreamed of playing in big symphony jazz bands but couldn't afford pricey instruments, so instead they settled for the affordable acoustic guitar and with it, tried to replicate playing of those tricky syncopated notes, riffs and chord patterns.  The result became the blues, as we know it today.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:24:11 PM by DarkKnight »

Offline saxmanronald

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
Bro,
     I think you're wrong and I say this with the utmost respect for your interest in the subject what with me being a jazz enthusiast and a musician myself. But to borrow from your own quotation, you will notice that it says it has incorporated music FROM the 18th and 20th centuries and it doesn't say that it started in the 18th century because jazz in it's present form wasn't invented yet. I appreciate the advise of me checking my sources before I rebutt statements so I did this is what I found. According to the The Oxford Companion to Jazz, Oxford University Press, 2005, chapter 5 "Jazz is a music that originated at the beginning of the 20th century in African American communities in the Southern United States from a confluence of African and European music traditions".
     I therefore respectfully submit that you must have misread some of the lines in the sources that you read. Because fact of the matter is, the term jazz wasn't even in usage until the time between 1910-1920.
     You cited a passage which stated that "Blues is the name given to both a musical form and a music genre that originated in African-American communities of primarily the Deep South of the United States at the end of the 19th century from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads". From this alone, it is quite obvious from the time span that blues in its very beginnings predated what is now known as jazz in its present form. Unless of course, you're definition of the blues is that of those different kinds of blues you mentioned in the early part of this thread which included Delta, Piedmont, Jump and Chicago blues styles in which their existence would be right smack in the middle of the jazz developmental history in the 20th century. But since your citation is that which defines blues as that which that originated from ......the deep south...at the end of the 19th century, then I rest my case.

Offline DarkKnight

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
Bro,

You are entitled to think I may be wrong, in the same way I am entitled to think you are equally wrong and relying simply on sweeping generalizations on the subject.  Likewise, I am also a jazz enthusiast and also a professional musician...so I don't think you have a monopoly on the facts and the truth concerning the topic.

I equally respectfully submit that you appear to be unable to read between the lines of the sources I quoted and it seems you are likewise prone to making sweeping conclusions on the articles you have read (and are quoting).

Collectively speaking, modern music experts now recognize that jazz per se originated much earlier than the beginning of the 20th century.  

By 1808 the Atlantic slave trade had brought almost half a million Africans to the United States. The slaves largely came from West Africa and brought strong tribal musical traditions with them. Lavish festivals featuring African dances to drums were organized on Sundays at Place Congo, or Congo Square, in New Orleans until 1843, as were similar gatherings in New England and New York. African music was largely functional, for work or ritual, and included work songs and field hollers. The African tradition made use of a single-line melody and call-and-response pattern, but without the European concept of harmony. Rhythms reflected African speech patterns, and the African use of pentatonic scales led to blue notes in blues and jazz.

Now again...try and read between the lines muna -- the use of pentatonic scales led to blue notes in blues and jazz.  This statement does not state that blues existed before jazz.  Neither does it say that the blues influenced jazz.  It merely states both the blues and jazz benefited from the usage of pentatonic scales.

To also paraphrase your statement above "Because fact of the matter is, the term jazz wasn't even in usage until the time between 1910-1920" --- The word began as West Coast slang around 1912, the meaning of which varied but did not refer to music or sex. It came to refer to the music in Chicago around 1915. The music was played in New Orleans prior to that time but was not referred to by that name.  The word jazz makes one of its earliest appearances in San Francisco baseball writing in 1913. Jazz was introduced to San Francisco in 1913 by William (Spike) Slattery, sports editor of the Call, and propagated by a band-leader named Art Hickman. It reached Chicago by 1915 but was not heard of in New York until a year later. One of the first known uses of the word appears in a March 3, 1913, baseball article in the San Francisco Bulletin by E. T. "Scoop" Gleeson.

So, ayun ewan ko lang how reliable yung source that you're quoting.  Also now, just because a term was not yet used at the time, it does not mean that the music or that specific form of music didn't exist yet.

Mas safe to pa siguro na jazz was influenced by classical music (rather than the blues) kase jazz in its primitive forms originated from ragtime music.  The abolition of slavery led to new opportunities for the education of freed African-Americans. Although strict segregation limited employment opportunities for most blacks, many were able to find work in entertainment. Black musicians were able to provide "low-class" entertainment in dances, minstrel shows, and in vaudeville, by which many marching bands formed. Black pianists played in bars, clubs, and brothels, as ragtime developed.  Ragtime appeared as sheet music, popularized by African American musicians such as the entertainer Ernest Hogan, whose hit songs appeared in 1895; two years later Vess Ossman recorded a medley of these songs as a banjo solo "Rag Time Medley". Also in 1897, the white composer William H. Krell published his "Mississippi Rag" as the first written piano instrumental ragtime piece, and Tom Turpin published his Harlem Rag, that was the first rag published by an African-American. The classically trained pianist Scott Joplin produced his "Original Rags" in the following year, then in 1899 had an international hit with "Maple Leaf Rag".

With regards to blues, during the first decades of the 20th century, blues music was not clearly defined in terms of a chord progression. With the popularity of early performers, such as Bessie Smith, use of the twelve-bar blues spread across the music industry during the 1920s and 30s. Other chord progressions, such as 8-bar forms, are still considered blues; examples include "How Long Blues", "Trouble in Mind", and Big Bill Broonzy's "Key to the Highway". There are also 16-bar blues, as in Ray Charles's instrumental "Sweet 16 Bars" and in Herbie Hancock's "Watermelon Man". Idiosyncratic numbers of bars are also encountered occasionally, as with the 9-bar progression in "Sitting on Top of the World" by Howlin Wolf.

O let's read between the lines, shall we?  

Jazz = recognizable form was theoretically in existence na prior to 1912, originated from ragtime music since 1895 pa

vs

Blues = recognizable form theoretically existed during 1920s and 1930s; originated at the end of the 19th century (i.e. 1900 pr 1901)

I think it's pretty clear already which musical style predates the other.

Bro, it's not enough to be an enthusiast and it's not enough to be a musician sa jazz.  I suggest you broaden your horizons further and read more on the subject, before you label other people's statements as being wrong or baseless.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:48:10 AM by DarkKnight »

Offline DarkKnight

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 10:17:02 AM »
quoted from Blues - wiki
"The social and economic reasons for the appearance of the blues are not fully known.[40] The first appearance of the blues is often dated after the Emancipation Act of 1863,[31] between 1870 and 1900, a period that coincides with Emancipation and, later, the development of juke joints as places where Blacks went to listen to music, dance, or gamble after a hard day's work"

if ragtime came in mid 1890s... its quite impossible that it influenced blues if blues was already around by 1870s, more to say jazz influenced blues because jazz came after ragtime.. di ba..

I didn't say ragtime influenced blues, what I said was jazz influenced blues and I don't think it was blues that influenced jazz.

sa pagkaalam ko pareho sila ng root, one went to evolve into different form while blues stayed as pure, so jazz didn't influenced blues and vise versa... may elements lang na pareho sila since pareho sila ng root... african music

another possibility din yan, bro.  I'm open to that possibility din.

quoted from Jazz - Wiki

"The music of New Orleans had a profound effect on the creation of early jazz."

"The cornetist Buddy Bolden led a band often mentioned as one of the prime movers of the style later to be called "jazz". He played in New Orleans around 1895–1906. No recordings remain of Bolden. Several tunes from the Bolden band repertory, including "Buddy Bolden Blues"

eto si Buddy Bolden, pre-jazz artist, may recording na entitled "Buddy Bolden Blues" circa 1895-1906.. wala pang Jazz at that time, ragtime pa lang at new orleans music, from here makikita natin na ang early jazz tunes ay may elements ng blues

eto pa,

"Afro-Creole pianist Jelly Roll Morton began his career in Storyville. From 1904, he toured with vaudeville shows around southern cities, also playing in Chicago and New York. His "Jelly Roll Blues", which he composed around 1905, was published in 1915 as the first jazz arrangement in print."

ayun na, ang first jazz arrangement in print entitled "Jelly Roll Blues"... may element din ng blues..

I dont say Blues influenced jazz... pero Jazz didnt influenced blues I believe..

Ok, question ko then is how can early jazz tunes have elements ng blues, kung wala pa nga blues nung panahon na yun??  and before it was termed as jazz, it was called new orleans music na nga.  different name pero in its purest form eh jazz na siya.  Do you see where I'm getting at?  It was blues that sprung from early jazz, the note patterns and chord progressions was already present in early jazz (or early new orleans music)...so paano magiging blues ang nauna sa jazz?

Sa tutoo lang, I don't think blues would have come to existence if it didn't have ragtime/new orleans music (i.e. primitive jazz) as predecessors.

Academically speaking, there should be no argument kase even the greats like Duke Ellington said it "It's all music anyway" pero fundamentally speaking...sorry but I disagree.  Jazz ang nauna sa blues.  Jazz ang most likely pinagmulan ng blues in its recognizable form today.

william251082

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »
Ano nauna itlog o manok?  :?:-D :lol:

Offline DarkKnight

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »
Ano nauna itlog o manok?  :?:-D :lol:

ang nauna algae microbes.  3.5 billion years old.  matanda pa sa dinosaurs, at matanda pa sa mga manok o itlog nyahaha  :lol:

teka mga tsong...masyado na tayo na-o-offtopic... yung starter ng thread was asking for tips on how to improve his playing, and he was asking for chord tips, kaya back on topic na sagot muna...

Suggestion ko: master the fundamentals muna then progress from there.

Specifically...learn how to play and distinguish what a blue note (or worried note) is.  Just to clarify, di porke term nya is blue note, it doesn't mean na you're playing the blues.  A blue note is a note sung or played at a slightly lower pitch than that of the major scale for expressive purposes. Typically the alteration is a semitone or less, but this varies among performers and genres.

Blue notes are usually said to be flattened third, flattened fifth, and flattened seventh scale degrees. Though the blues scale has "an inherent minor tonality, it is commonly 'forced' over major-key chord changes, resulting in a distinctively dissonant conflict of tonalities" as well as the blue notes. A similar conflict occurs between the notes of the minor scale and the minor blues scale, as heard in songs such as "Why Don't You Do Right?".

You can view a sample rendition of this song by Jessica Rabbit in a scene from the film 'Who framed roger rabbit' >

Also...learn to incorporate the use of harmonic seventh intervals, twelve-bar chord progressions, eight-bar chord progressions and sixteen-bar chord progressions into your playing.  Don't bother with the thirty-two bar form na kase this is just similar to straight up pop/rock music style.

Here are some examples you might find useful:

12-bar form
Listen to Charlie Parker's NOW'S THE TIME on youtube >
also his composition Billie's Bounce >

8-bar form
Listen to Leroy Carr's How_Long,_How_Long_Blues on youtube >
or
to Richard M Jones' Trouble in mind on youtube >

Eto maganda blues rendition naman nung Trouble in mind >
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:06:14 PM by DarkKnight »