hulika

Author Topic: MIDI Controller (no sounds) vs. Keyboard w/ MIDI Interface  (Read 1319 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
MIDI Controller (no sounds) vs. Keyboard w/ MIDI Interface
« on: July 24, 2006, 02:19:25 AM »
I was wondering, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a dedicated MIDI controller (no built-in sounds) versus a keyboard hooked to a MIDI Interface then plugged to your DAW.  

The real question is what makes you have better articulation while sequencing?  I also like the idea that a keyboard with sounds comes in handy when a vocalist needs some pitch guide (showing the proper intonation) whereas a MIDI controller should take up some precious RAM and CPU from a softsynth just to make it sound.

So what do you think is better?

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 02:52:10 AM »
personally, i can't tell the difference enough to say one is better than the other. i have had a dedicated MIDI controller before and switched from that to a Korg Triton which currently serves as my main MIDI controller and keyboard. the main thing that I like about having the Triton is, as you mentioned, having the option of using the onboard sounds to practice or figure out songs. With today's technology, a lot of pianos with onboard sounds often support MIDI out which is pretty cool for those of us who are looking to have a self-sufficient approach to producing music. in either case, it all depends on what you want to pursue to make your work output much mroe efficient. however, i would suggest that you make sure your MIDI controller or workstation has touch sensitive or velocity sensitive keys to make sure you MIDI programming is translated properly to your DAW environment.

on a similar note, piano workstations such as Roland's Fantom series have gone so far as to add MPC style triggers on its chassis to make purchasing all-in-one workstations a lot more lucrative for home-studio enthusiasts.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline chuck sabbath

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 09:12:17 AM »
one advantage of dedicated controllers is that they usually have more knobs/sliders etc than most keyboard synths, there are lots of controllers which have decent keyboard action also

velocity sensitive keys are a bare minimum requirement for any keyboard i would think...

it *is* nice to have a *real* synth around so you can make music without having to turn on the computer all the time and for quick pitch reference like you said
In an expanding universe, time is on the side of the outcast. Those who once inhabited the suburbs of human contempt find that without changing their address they eventually live in the metropolis

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:27:26 AM »
You should see the new CME VX line of controllers that have motorized faders!  :shock:

If there's one thing I don't see often on controllers, it's aftertouch.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire