hulika

Author Topic: what does 'jitter' sound like?  (Read 2163 times)

Offline jplacson

what does 'jitter' sound like?
« on: August 06, 2006, 02:21:21 AM »
Ok, I've read cheap fiberop cables can cause jitter... I 'know' what jitter is... but I don't know what it sounds like, or what kind of audible errors it causes.  Can anyone explain or better yet, post some sound clips (just a few sec of uncompressed WAV) of jitter in recordings?  Thanks!
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 03:57:39 AM »
jitter can audibly be heard in the form of gaps in audio. its as if you took the envelope volume function of your sequencer, drew narrow (or wide) square waves in the audio file so automation automatically silences specific parts of the audio track. jitter can be random, or it can be at specific intervals depending on how extensive the defect in the optic cable is...

to keep this from happening, invest is good quality controlled cables and watch out that you dont put any kinks in the outer casing of the cable housing because dents can cause the data transfer to be carried out abnormally...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »
Remember that no audio signal passes thru fiber optic cables; all data is represented by ones and zeroes. However, all data is serial and like all things digital, dependent on the time it is sent and received, hence the need for synchronizing digital devices.

Cheap fiber optic cables are prone to internal reflections which can cause the receiving digital device to receive the same 'bit' several times, usually after the first original bit has been received. This can be called echoes but unlike distinct reflections, think of it more as a 'blurring' of the original image.

What does jitter 'sound' like? Actually, jitter has no sound of it's own, being dependent on the program material. However, people have observed that when comparing a jittered signal versus the same material with less jitter, testers have stated that they hear a better soundstage, better depth and clarity, better stereo imaging, and better high frequency reproduction, among other things. A more in-depth analysis of jitter can be found here.

Going from a consumer soundcard to a more pro soundcard with better clocks, you will immediately hear the difference in terms of better clarity; your ears strain less with a low jitter signal.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jplacson

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »
Thanks guys... I was just curious since I wanted to know if it sounded like hiss, clicks, distortion/clipping... or if really had its own sound that you could tell apart from analog noise, or digital clipping.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 01:12:13 PM »
John, my personal experience with jitter - it sounds like a click - manifested on a waveform as a straight horizontal line. In addition to optical cable - other causes of jitter are clocking issues and power supply (current/cycles).

hope this helps.

Gerry

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 02:03:22 PM »
Quote from: Sound Weavers
John, my personal experience with jitter - it sounds like a click - manifested on a waveform as a straight horizontal line. In addition to optical cable - other causes of jitter are clocking issues and power supply (current/cycles).

Gerry,

This sounds like loss of sync, easily done when the receiving s/pdif device isn't locked to the incoming s/pdif clock. You can experiment with this by setting the receiving device to its own clock then try to let it playback an incoming s/pdif signal. Since the 2 digital devices have different clocks, they will slowly drift out of sync until you finally lose a sample or a few. Of course this will manifest as a click. Other manifestations of this loss of sync are a 'metallic' sounding distortion. This is the reason why all digital devices have to be synced to one another.

jplacson, you might be confusing jitter with dither. At least, dither you can hear under the proper conditions. If you want to hear dither, try this: downsample the same wav file to 8-bit but create 2 files, one with dither and the other without. Bet you will hear the difference.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline jplacson

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 02:52:31 PM »
Thanks Kit... I was just wondering how to tell one kind of noise from the other... or if jitter manifests itself as audible distortion or as hiss/static... cuz in the future, I MIGHT mistake something for jitter and might be looking in the wrong places.
DOPPLER AUDIO

Offline Sound Weavers

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 04:11:01 PM »
Yes Kit those are clocking problems indeed - which, apart from jitter affects sound imaging.

Clean and stable power - including the power harness of all connected equipment will also help eliminate if not prevent jitter.

Gerry

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
i'm not sure if i ever bumped into audible jitter yet.  but i believe Sound Weavers is correct about clocking.  when i was researching about RME, i found this page extensively discussing jitter:

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/firewire/ff800.htm

that page discusses mostly numbers but might help shedding some light on the issues of jitter.

here's a site that explains jitter in plain english, including an article about the sound of jitter:

http://www.jitter.de/english/engc_navfr.html
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline jplacson

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 02:20:33 AM »
thanks a lot for all the info! :)
DOPPLER AUDIO