hulika

Author Topic: Pinoy Punk?  (Read 10991 times)

Offline year2apocalypse

Pinoy Punk?
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »
did anyone see that documentary on pinoy punk a few nights ago on gma? it was very interesting. anyway, this thread isn't gonna be about that... i have this weird theory that someone that works for that show visits this forum for ideas 'cause i remember them doing something about the whole orange & lemons rip-off thing and they showed our forum in one bit... and now they suddenly do something about pinoy punk after our whole punk thing ages ago when people were rambling on about punk's influences and pinoy punk and whatever! yun lang. :D

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 01:57:08 PM »
e di flattering.  8) maybe we shud be working for GMA, then.

Offline year2apocalypse

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 02:00:11 PM »
lol! exactly, they were basically repeating everything that was said in our threads anyway. :lol:

Offline 1604

• Netizen Level
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 06:06:37 PM »
can I say plagiarism?
PRSman is our forum English Teacher. Please refer to him on courses regarding being an idiot. Thank you.

Offline janggoII

• Netizen Level
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:40:55 AM »
i dont think so, that orange and lemon thing has been so widely publicized and i dont think that anyone who knows music wouldnt know about it.
i dont like the way GMA 7 documented about pinoy punk. Though i have an idea who's concept that story was, i know someone who's interested in punk that works in GMA.
BTW, ALbert Azcona of Beauty of Doubt/Bad Omen and Jeremy of Strap on 7 are my buddies.
lurker for 10 years

Offline screaming mango

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2006, 01:12:01 PM »
Quote from: year2apocalypse
did anyone see that documentary on pinoy punk a few nights ago on gma? it was very interesting. anyway, this thread isn't gonna be about that..................our whole punk thing ages ago when people were rambling on about punk's influences and pinoy punk and whatever! yun lang. :D

I may agree on that note[pun intended]. Maybe it's someone who just thought it a very good topic, pero fell short when it cameto really digging in the nitty gritty, parang yung pelikula nung '80s na " The Punks starring Rey PJ Abellana and Leni Santos. It was made with just an iota of an idea of what Punk really is about and not much else. Meron pa ngang choreographed dancing sa movie. Tsk.

Pero Punk now is different from Punk when, let's say, '86-'89. Kung may nakaka-alala sa KATRINA'S, somewhere in Malate then. It was When Red Rocks and Club Dredd are still in it's infancy, Katrina's was the place we all go in all pristine and clean, and come out with running mascarra and spiky hair and beer stink lingering till the wee hours of the morning.

Music then was three-chord-rapid-progressions, ala-Ramones and The Clash. But the difference ends there. Punk still celebrates decadence, Independence, Angst, Lonelyness, Alienation and Want.

Ang reklamo ko lang ngayon, noon ako gumagawa ng sarili kong wrist band, spike bracelets, wsilver earrings.

Nowadays, nabibili pa sila sa prestigious malls.

Tsk.
scrEaMing
        mANgo's
malice and mayhem

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 07:05:03 AM »
Tsaka noong 80's..............d2 sa pinas punks are considered "social problems"................some would agree and some would not.............

As far as I know...........d2 ko una naranasan ang head-bangging and body-slamming..............sa mga underground concerts before.........duguan na ang ulo at katawan............peace sign pa rin ang gestures sa kamay ng mga tao...............isn't that a social problem.........

Para sa'kin kunin natin yung maganda at itapon natin ang pangit.........keyso mabago ang history o traditon ng punk...............for the better naman at hindi for the worse............peace!......... 8)  8)

Offline screaming mango

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 12:10:02 PM »
Quote from: emil_murillo
Tsaka noong 80's.............. ang history o traditon ng punk...............for the better naman at hindi for the worse............peace!......... 8)  8)

Aye-aye, Cap'n Emil!

Medyo natuwa ako, kasi akala ko ako lang ang  medyo nakaka-alala ng Punk Movement nung 80s.

Sa England, Ireland, even Scotland  nung panahong yun, at kahit dito sa Pinas, punks were  the working class,  ipit sa budget, pero marunong dumiskarte sa  buhay, and the music played a major part.

I think ang di ko lang maunawaan ay ito:
Saan nagtatago si Jack Sicat? :D
scrEaMing
        mANgo's
malice and mayhem

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 08:52:53 PM »
oi, recommend me good local punk bands to listen to, please! i'd prefer older bands than new or current ones... i went to this place today that sells undeground [gooey brown stuff] and all that and i asked them to recommend me some local punk cds but... they didn't have any in stock. :(

so, recommend me bands so that i'll know what to get next time i'm there! :)

Offline ralphot

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 11:36:53 PM »
to name a few:

- urban bandits
- dead ends
- ex-presidents combo

Offline janggoII

• Netizen Level
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 12:50:56 PM »
THROW
BEAUTY OF DOUBT
BETRAYED
SIGNAL 3
FEUD
AxSxP
STRAP ON 7"
BAD OMEN
ADA

All of these Bands have their Self Produced LP/EP's Available at all Local
Punk Outlets Nationwide, especially in Recto
lurker for 10 years

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »
thanks for the recommendations but can you lot be more specific? :P like, recommend me one band that just rocks. :)

also, jangoII, you mentioned ada? the guy i spoke to yesterday's their guitarist! lol. he recommended their music and i was like, "are they any good?" and he was like, "i'm the guitarist!" hahaha. :lol:

Offline janggoII

• Netizen Level
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »
ask them for These Albums (kung Meron Man sila) :

1. SIGNAL 3's LP - Kingsley Unite
one of the best PUNK/Oi Album in the Philippines

2. Beauty of Doubt's LP - Everything Ends
once you hear this one you'll agree with me that Punk Bands can really play Good Music!

3. AxSxP's LP - Echoes from the Septic Tank
Very Hard to find but arguably the BEST Punkrock-Ska Band in the
Philippines Today,
lurker for 10 years

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 12:58:11 PM »
bad ass, thanks for that. one thing though...

Quote from: janggoII
2. Beauty of Doubt's LP - Everything Ends
once you hear this one you'll agree with me that Punk Bands can really play Good Music!

i already agree that punk's good music! haha. i've been listening to punk ever since high school. dead kennedys, the stalin, sex pistols, etc. love 'em. i just haven't heard much from local punk bands. :wink:

Offline ioffendpeople

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »
Quote from: janggoII
All of these Bands have their Self Produced LP/EP's Available at all Local
Punk Outlets Nationwide, especially in Recto

Um...can you be a little more specific about where these "Punk Outlets" are? I'm interested too.  :D

Offline janggoII

• Netizen Level
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 12:56:28 PM »
there is this place in recto (at Cartimar) where they sell a lot of Punk T Shirts, ask for JON FISHBONE's outlet or DARWIN LALUZ. nag se sell ng mga local Punk CD's ang mga yan. Jon is from BAD OMEN by the way.
lurker for 10 years

Offline deja vu

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 11:38:43 PM »
My alltime fave pinoy punk band was DEAD ENDS:

original lineup:
Al Dimalanta - vox, guitars
Jay Dimalanta (deceased) - bass
Rouen Pascual - drums

i also liked their lineup when Harley Alarcon was banging the drums. Harley was also one-time member of P.O.T.

I only got 2 of their cassettes via Twisted Red Cross label: "Second Coming" (1986) and "Damned Nation" (1987).  Both definitely kicked major ass :D

Offline Alfie1975

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2006, 11:23:34 AM »
Deceased is still playing around, plus Ray Decay has a restaurant business, visit Devil's Kitchen at Maceda street near corner Piy Margal, Sampaloc, Manila. Inuman tayo dun! hehehe...

Offline deja vu

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 11:14:16 PM »
Quote from: Alfie1975
Deceased is still playing around, plus Ray Decay has a restaurant business, visit Devil's Kitchen at Maceda street near corner Piy Margal, Sampaloc, Manila. Inuman tayo dun! hehehe...

Punk ba yung Deceased? Parang naalala ko thrash metal yata tugtugan nila.. kasabayan nila yung Discant X (underground thrash metal gods), VOD, Infernal Wrath, etc.  Ang maganda sa Deceased kahit papano naka-release sila ng sariling album at hindi compilation lang.

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2006, 02:47:51 PM »
Quote from: deja vu
My alltime fave pinoy punk band was DEAD ENDS:

original lineup:
Al Dimalanta - vox, guitars
Jay Dimalanta (deceased) - bass
Rouen Pascual - drums

i also liked their lineup when Harley Alarcon was banging the drums. Harley was also one-time member of P.O.T.

I only got 2 of their cassettes via Twisted Red Cross label: "Second Coming" (1986) and "Damned Nation" (1987).  Both definitely kicked major ass :D

yup, dead ends are my current favourite pinoy punk band right now as well. i've only heard their album mamatay sa ingay but it's class, man. i love ingay (ng mundo). hardcooore. haha. :D

Offline deja vu

Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2006, 03:23:23 AM »
Quote from: hello_apocalypse

yup, dead ends are my current favourite pinoy punk band right now as well. i've only heard their album mamatay sa ingay but it's class, man. i love ingay (ng mundo). hardcooore. haha. :D

Well, you should try listening to their earlier songs, I'm sure you'll like them too.  Although, I don't know how that could be possible unless they'll release a remastered version, or maybe a pirated version of it hehe.

Offline kAnGkEr

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2006, 03:57:53 AM »

Well, you should try listening to their earlier songs, I'm sure you'll like them too.  Although, I don't know how that could be possible unless they'll release a remastered version, or maybe a pirated version of it hehe.

Got some copies of their early albums in Recto way back 2002-2003.. Kaso hanggang ngayon di pa sinosoli ng kung sino man humiram during inuman. Sad to say, diko nalagay sa pc ko.. 'Dunno if available pa yun dun ngayon or pwede naman siguro magrikwest..

Offline hello_apocalypse

• Veteran Member
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »

yeah, i'd like to. especially if their earlier songs are as good as or better than ingay (ng mundo). i love that song. 8)

Offline emil_murillo

• Philmusicus Addictus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »

yeah, i'd like to. especially if their earlier songs are as good as or better than ingay (ng mundo). i love that song. 8)

End Of Man.

Offline bongmolina

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Pinoy Punk?
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 09:41:08 AM »
betrayed did released a cd back in '96.  si buddy t. and eddie s. plus 2 americans.