hulika

Author Topic: Why Is Most Music So Bad Today?  (Read 43808 times)

Offline coolvoice

• Philmusicus Addictus
Why Is Most Music So Bad Today?
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:37:42 PM »
Is this because there is little or no creativity involved, most songs are just recycled from other songs and the lyrics are all about the same boring bullshizzle. Most bands are also just used to write a few "good" songs and make as much money as possible on one big blowout, like all those crappy boy bands controlled by corporations, when's the last time you heard anything about them?

here's an article that suggests music isn't so hot today compared to other times:

http://www.bestshowticketslasvegas.com/articles/bad-music.asp

Offline domldkim

• Veteran Member
Re: Why Is Most Music So Bad Today?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:52:16 PM »
i dont think so. sa local rock scene siguro hinde.. ewan ko.. kasi marami pang banda na hindi pa kilala tapos napapanood ko. tapos pinakikinggan ko.. hehe. ayos nga e.. so parang hinde ako napapangitan sa mga sounds ko ngayon.. pero kung ibang genre naman hindi kna alam.. hindi nko nakakarinig ng radyo e.. puro net na lang ako.. :-D

Offline clubdredd

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
The solution to this is in your own hands. Start writing good music. If you can't write good music then support bands or artists that do - buy their cd's, watch their shows, request their songs, advocate them to others.

I won't be nostalgic about the past because for me it was much worse then. The Marcos dictatorship had everyone in society scared to stand out and be different. Everyone wanted to be "safe". Music was lame and all started sounding alike. Until everyone finally got fed up. It was a sort of people power that shot the Eraserheads out of obscurity, and brought progressive stations like LA and NU into the limelight, and opened the doors for many other new acts.

If you feel that things are stagnating again, then it's time to start making some noise! :evil: :evil: :evil:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 02:03:04 PM by clubdredd »

Offline domldkim

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
basta ko. steady lang. supot!! ay, support pala. :lol: support local music. yown lang. chaka naeenjoy ko naman lahat e. kaya ayos lang. :-D

Offline IncX

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:23:59 PM »
i read the article... i thought it was a pointless, cynical article... he is basically saying, everything sucks and nothing is original.

i find it funny that ppl focus on originality a bit too much ... i mean, whats with being original anyway? you want original... INVENT an instrument! ... use horse hair on your guitar and synthetic carbon strings on your bass... that is ORIGINAL. but then again, it would also suck!

mainstream music of today is just as terrible as mainstream music of  yesterday (and will be as terrible as music of tomorrow) - although i enjoy a little beach boys every now and then, we can argue that they are equally just as bad as backstreet boys back in their time. if i was born in the 70's no way would i even mention the beach boys.

mainstream will always appeal to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR (LCD if you remember fractions), because thats where the money is. if you want good music? ... look for it, dont trust radio or MTV to spoon feed it to you.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:25:54 PM by IncX »

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
Hindi ko po alam ang sagot dyan kasi hindi ako sang-ayon.

Siguro sa mainstream?  :?
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline BassCog

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 09:15:01 PM »
A few decades ago, rock and roll was considered a stupid fad that would die a natural death.

I would say that to older ears, newer music has a good chance of sounding like crap. it seems to be the cycle of history, LOL.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »
eh i think kasi ang daming mga music band promoting finding programs....mga tipong musik laban....edi parang with the good ones...mas marami ring mga not so good na masisiksik

Offline compvr

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 10:30:40 PM »
mahirap na tanong yan ah, pag tatanungin siguro natin mga kabataan ngayon, sasabihin nila madami maganda ngayon, tumatanda lang siguro tayo hehehe.

"The solution to this is in your own hands. Start writing good music."

yup

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.                   Doris M. Smith

------------------------ supervoodoo

Offline khaffalmhoukz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 10:48:46 PM »
You don't hear with your ears, you percieve with your mind. *sigh* everybody's a critic...

Offline xiver

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:54:36 PM »
i read the article... i thought it was a pointless, cynical article... he is basically saying, everything sucks and nothing is original.

i find it funny that ppl focus on originality a bit too much ... i mean, whats with being original anyway? you want original... INVENT an instrument! ... use horse hair on your guitar and synthetic carbon strings on your bass... that is ORIGINAL. but then again, it would also suck!

mainstream music of today is just as terrible as mainstream music of  yesterday (and will be as terrible as music of tomorrow) - although i enjoy a little beach boys every now and then, we can argue that they are equally just as bad as backstreet boys back in their time. if i was born in the 70's no way would i even mention the beach boys.

mainstream will always appeal to the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR (LCD if you remember fractions), because thats where the money is. if you want good music? ... look for it, dont trust radio or MTV to spoon feed it to you.

agree ako dito.. kung binbabad mo lang sarili mo lagi sa love radio, dapat alam mo na mga tipo ng kantang maririnig mo.. go look for what's good in your ear, don't just wait for it to come to you.. or better yet, make one.. :-)

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 11:10:51 AM »

because a lot of people still buy bad music for the image or because it's cool or because the vocalist is hot etc. etc. etc.

good music is still around in every genre a lot of people just choose to listen to crap.
Visit the Phantom Mime on soundclick!www.soundlick.com/PhantomMime

LOOKING FOR ROCK GUITARIST LP AREA click here for more info

Offline Bammbamm

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 12:26:30 PM »

Im not sure why...maybe because most listeners are.  :|

So Be It.

Offline rennaov

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
quotes from one of my guitarist idols, Michael Schenker:
"Clever people know they can manipulate stereotyped people. 80% of humans are stereotyped, so the clever people can do a lot of manipulation and there is a lot of money to be made. "

"Because it is so commercialized and based on being trendy and fashionable, people don't express themselves; they go with the flow. We end up with stereotyped people. "

personally, i wont say every music of today is bad though i dont like 98% of MTV.  lol.  its just, kids today arent exposed to yesterday's music or perhaps simply it never crossed their minds to research or dig them.  coz only serious music lovers/musicians would do so. 
I see traces, fragments of God shared in the form of human talent...

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:49:56 PM »

+1, we adapt to what is needed, right? LOL

Offline coolvoice

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »

+1, we adapt to what is needed, right? LOL

that is hard to change!! :lol:

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »
its not that bad. just stop listening to the radio and watching music vid channels
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline sponkel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
its not that bad. just stop listening to the radio and watching music vid channels

+10000
Visit the Phantom Mime on soundclick!www.soundlick.com/PhantomMime

LOOKING FOR ROCK GUITARIST LP AREA click here for more info

Offline coolvoice

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 02:41:51 PM »

+10000

hindi naman siguro totally stop!!  bawasan lang..

Offline spilledmilk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 04:21:42 PM »
yep bawas lang

personally im proud of what we have right now sa OPM

im proud that kahit marami tayong banda na sumasabay sa uso sa ibang bansa, meron parin tayong sariling uso na feeling ko pag narinig ng ibang bansa, makikiuso rin sila. anyway...as i always end my comments with a big,,,

IMHO
Gibson SG Standard Silverburst
Siochi Custom Lead GT 50 Watt Head
Matching 2x12 Cab with Vintage 30s

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 06:20:39 PM »
Nauso kasi ang POGI ROCK THAT SUCKS eh..
tas dumami pa sila.. yayks!!!

di gaya dati.. mga EHEADS, MAYA.. THE BEST!!

Ang! awit! ng kabataaannnn!!!! panahooonnn!!!  :-D
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2007, 06:29:20 PM »
most music isnt bad....its just that some people dont bother to explore music enough to find the good stuff...

ung iba kasi puro rock or pop lang....eh may maganda rin naman sa ibang genre.....

Offline insultedgamer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2007, 07:03:22 PM »
Nauso kasi ang POGI ROCK THAT SUCKS eh..
tas dumami pa sila.. yayks!!!

di gaya dati.. mga EHEADS, MAYA.. THE BEST!!

Ang! awit! ng kabataaannnn!!!! panahooonnn!!!  :-D

Oo nga  :-)
Please be active at Pinoy Music Fan Forums. :)

Offline Mustspit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2007, 07:10:53 PM »
^ngayon puro na lang AWIT NG KABADUYAN!!!  :evil:

they should be called F*CK ROCK.. not POGI ROCK.. di naman sila pogi ah! :lol:
siguro feeling POGI oo!! pacute lang ang alam amp.. Boyband Wannabees! BE GONE! :lol:
It's been 2 hours and 6 days, since you made my world a cold place, with nothing to see, and nothing to hear, i walk alone with a hope inside me, and this world refused to guide me, with nothing to feel and this wounds won't heal...

Offline Deadwing

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 01:06:01 AM »
I still remember a time when the only rock you'd hear on the radio was The Dawn. 

Everything else made by Pinoys seemed to be written by Vehnee Saturno, Jomari Chan, and their contemporaries with their ballads (a.k.a. boilerplate, by-the-numbers overproduced pop music).  At least the ratio of songwriters of their ilk have evened out to rock's advantage with the arrival of fresh blood in the 90's by Ely, The Villegas brothers (Rizal Underground), Joey Ayala and others who were carrying the torch from the 70's and 80's.

Nasa internet ka na maghanap ng matitinong musikero.  Kahit na wala na ako sa Pilipinas, nasusubaybayan ko pa rin ang tugtugan ng The Dorques, Angulo, Sonnet LVIII (may plaka na raw sila na mai-rerelease), Taken By Cars (kailangan na rin nilang ilabas yung debut album nila), Sheila and The Insects, at tsaka iba pa.  Nandyan ang hatawang rock sa Pilipinas, huwag kang mawalan ng pag-asa.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 01:09:24 AM by Deadwing »