hulika

Author Topic: Amp cabinet simulator...  (Read 2179 times)

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« on: March 03, 2006, 12:08:35 AM »
to people that have tube amps, especially amp head + cabinet rigs, anyone of you ever use a cabinet simulator for recording? I am considering a cabinet simulator to run my Mesa amp heads through it to record straight to disk on my DAW pero I've never used any of them since I traditionally used mics in front of my amps whenever I record. However, I just checked out a rundown of Joe Satriani's home studio setup and it turns out that he uses a cab sim unit (a Palmer PDI) to use his amp heads at home such as his JSX and Marshalls and Mesa Boogies. He recommends using a cab sim to get the most out of your amp heads this way so as to not kill your studio (and ears) with vibrations and noise coming from raging amps set on 11:) As it is, I can't even crank the Diezel and the Boogie Rectifiers past 12:00 without everything nearby rumbling and causing stuff on nearby shelves to start falling off.

I am considering 2 models, the THD hotplate and the Palmer PGI-04 or PDI-03. Note that I need something with the load feature so I can the amps through them since I also noticed that they sell some amp sim boxes without the load stage...which, i think, is very weird.

any feedback would be appreciated.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 01:35:39 AM »
I used a Behringer DI box (has 4x12 cab sim) once (with my THD of course)....sounds decent... but when I record my lead tracks...I mic my cab 'coz I rely on the speakers I am using to get that smooth and warmth.

...depends on your sound really.....if you're sound comes more from the type of speakers you are using then micing is probably the way to go. If you like the REAL sound of you amp head alone..then go for it....TRY it the DI box is cheap.
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline superoxy

• Forum Fanatic
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 09:01:34 AM »
Quote from: Phil
I used a Behringer DI box (has 4x12 cab sim)

i think thats the Behringer Ultra G DI box

http://www.behringer.com//GI100/gi100_big.jpg
\\\\\\\"I am afraid of people who are boring, but require too much attention to ignore. \\\\\\\" - Jamie Hyneman

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 06:02:06 PM »
i am staying away from the behringer as I have heard bad stories about them. I just might go with the Palmer since the unit is a true amp sim box. I have a demeter tube DI that I use for bass that I like as well as a sansamp PSA-1 that i use for guitar and bass guitar tracking.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:10:11 AM »
Quote from: abyssinianson
i am staying away from the behringer as I have heard bad stories about them. I just might go with the Palmer since the unit is a true amp sim box. I have a demeter tube DI that I use for bass that I like as well as a sansamp PSA-1 that i use for guitar and bass guitar tracking.
what are the bad stories? care to share?

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »
found this....they have Palmers you are looking for.....

http://www.palmergear.com/recording_studio.shtml

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
Phil, thanks very much! With the behringers, people I knew were just getting stuff that was breaking down in a matter of months, getting units tht eventually became really noisy with internal humming etc... Although I have had good experiences with berry gear, I will try the Palmer as my amp cabinet sim because it seems to be really well made and a lot of people trust it.

I will let you know how recording with this thing goes.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 06:05:59 PM »
Abyss, check this out...

http://www.jlhproducts.com/axetrak/

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
Amp cabinet simulator...
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 06:13:37 PM »
thanks skunk, i will look into that as well...in the past, i considered the randall amp iso box but that thing just so big! it does have a plus side though because you are able to actually position a mic in the box in front of the speaker - still, the size of the box didn't sell me on it.

i looked the way of amp sim boxes after i read so much about them - Joe Satch's Palmer, Page Hamilton's (Helmet) use of the Kolbe Silent Speaker... - i just figured there had to be something there that made the cab sims a viable choice for getting that overdriven tone from the amp into a recording.