hulika

Author Topic: one for all!  (Read 31779 times)

Offline kamots

one for all!
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2006, 12:53:27 PM »
Quote from: alquin
buti n lang pala di ako magaling, sa english at gitara.. nakakatakot pala pag gumaling ka .....

peace :D

Ikaw pa eh 'da madman' ka.
walang maisip

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2006, 12:54:44 PM »
buti n lang pala di ako magaling, sa english at gitara.. nakakatakot pala pag gumaling ka .....

+ INFINITY....ako widow lang ako....hindi ako marunong sa mg pip, root, o anong ewan .
you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »
Quote from: markflo
the jazzers DID know what they were doing...that's the misconception...it's free flowing, but it's far from unstructured...take coltrane's giant steps for example...one of the greatest jazz tunes in the world...it sounds like a rambling of notes...but those notes are actually based on a descending augmented triad and a mixtur of ii-V's that lead to the next of three tonal centers B, Eb, and G...

chord substitutions (chords with 3 or more notes can be substituted for each other) eg superimposition

the HW diminished scale natural used over a V chord as it adds tension to the coming of the I chord...

etc etc etc...

one thing they also had, however, was the ability to mix theory, melody, with unusual rhythms and contour...that's why it sounds the way it sounds...

Quote from: skunkyfunk
Question.  Do you really have to know the theory behind everything in a "mental" sense.  For me it was a stumbling rock.  Steve Vai had a better approach to progressions.  He said you should just start off with simple chords.   Then next, change the voicings of the chords, or do chord subs.  For me I use more ear than theory because when I think, I get lost.  But when I hear the chords, I just get satisfied.  I just feel it is ridiculous to remember a gazillion chord progressions when a lot of variations can be done with a I-vi-ii-V7.  For me it starts from there.  

On a higher note, I think the real jazzers didn't really know what they were doing in a theoretical sense.

I love Giant steps!  But I think the harmonic component in jazz is more challenging than the melodic component.  I dunno, but playing over changes seems easy for me, but the chordal approach can drive me nuts sometimes.

Kung sa bagay, sabi nila, If you suck without theory, you'll suck more with theory.  You'll suck with more notes.

Offline kamots

one for all!
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »
Quote from: Phil

+ INFINITY....ako widow lang ako....hindi ako marunong sa mg pip, root, o anong ewan .

D mo kilala si pip? Ung ka lab tim ni ate guy?
walang maisip

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2006, 12:59:33 PM »

Phil, nagulat ako, sa Tagalog-English dictionary natin.  The proper term is "UWIDO" - to play by ear.

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2006, 01:00:11 PM »
Quote from: kamots

D mo kilala si pip? Ung ka lab tim ni ate guy?
sira!!! peeeps yun no!!! ghay en peeeepsss.

Offline Poundcake

• GAS prophet
  • Administrator
one for all!
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2006, 01:00:17 PM »
Quote from: BAMF
Di tayo aabot sa ganito kung puro root-fifth lang ang progression nyahahahehehe.

+1 hehehe basta ako ok na sa blues, modes and some alternate scales.. basta hindi tunog pogi rock!
"The LORD will save me, and we will play my music on stringed instruments all the days of our lives, at the house of the LORD." Isaiah 38:20

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2006, 01:00:52 PM »
Kung sa bagay, sabi nila, If you suck without theory, you'll suck more with theory. You'll suck with more notes.

sino sila sa sabi nila?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »
Quote from: skunkyfunk

Phil, nagulat ako, sa Tagalog-English dictionary natin.  The proper term is "UWIDO" - to play by ear.
tenks ha ...I'll remember that from now on....amen.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2006, 01:04:03 PM »
Kung sa bagay, sabi nila, If you suck without theory, you'll suck more with theory. You'll suck with more notes.

sino sila sa sabi nila?

That's a universal thought, at least in my book.  Might work for most, but not for all.  Got it from someone else's sig I can't remember...

Offline titser_marco

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »
a lot of jazz is diatonic, cretin. and let me ask you this: do you even know people who wrote serial/atonal music?

Your arguments are lame, and resorting to cliches (know the rules, then break 'em...). This didn't even start out as a contest of skills. What a loser.

If you want to hear my playing, buy my band's cd. It's not even my obligation to play for you. Heck, you're not even paying.

atonality is great...if you know how to use it right...do you know how to use it right titser_marco?

know the rules, then break 'em...

seems to me you never even heard the rules...or you probably just read 'em off a little book you rented in the library..."how to sound like you know what you're talking about in music"

i'm not talking diatonics...i'm talking jazz, freak...

besides...what's the point of this chord progression if you're so much into atonality?

Quote from: titser_marco
ahah! Here's where the confusion sets in! You're talkinag about a diatonic chord then.

Get out of the 18th century will ya? Atonality was already here in the early 20th century.

the 7th of the E is a D#7b5...or a half diminished...if you extend the chord to a 9th...it would be a D#9b5

so you wanna flat it? fine

D9...but it's DEFINITELY not a DM9...(yes, those are 2 different things) because the M of a D is a C# oh...but a C# is the 6th of E...so now we're all [strawberry] ed up and going in circles, aren't we? a D9 WON'T HAVE  a "C#"

don't make things harder than they already are...

well, technically, you can play any chord you want...in any chord progression, in any key...kinda like chromaticism...don't mean it'll sound right...or if it will even sound jazzy...it can sound plain ol' dumb...

you can come up with all the theories you want...whatever floats your boat man...

another thing...the E WASN'T EVEN IMPLIED! This is just a case of delaying resolution...like in a blues shuffle when every chord is a dominant...it's a dominant but not treated as a V...i can imply ANY NOTE AND ANY TONAL CENTER HERE...if i were to use your definition...

Quote from: titser_marco
The flatted VII can be a 9th chord. It doesnt necessarily mean that  a dominant chord should be there with the b7th as the root.  In the key of C, I can play a Bb9 to follow a bVII9 chord. What you're trying to say is that the bVII should be a VII7, which is a very common change.

first of all...the flattened VII in the key of E is D (but this suggests a dominant chord and not your so called DM9...Character wise...a DM9 is an altered I chord

the A7 would be the diatonic V of D

the F#7#9 would be something called delaying resolution...but it's also an altered  chord of the relative minor of A

going back...resolution to what?

to B7

another way to look at it would be from A7 (A), it would be the 6th, but an altered 6th (which is a "legal" alteration)

then from B7...altered VI of what?

D

That's the explanation...

That's precisely why it's called "implied" because the tonic is not explicitly stated. If "there was an E to begin with" it's not going to be implied then.

Like I said, looking at D as the I chord would be looking at it from the key of D. But refer to my previous post for another angle at this.

you can't imply that it's the bVII9 of E because first of all, there's no E to begin with...and you can't say that the B7 implied it, because there's an A7

the root would be D

now if it was the original EM9...it's a totally different story...but it's not there...so...

go figure...

imbento ang theory mo pareng titser_marco

thing is ... you don'g get me at all...

let's hear a sample...

or you can explain how you would approach soloing over this progression...

Like I said, I'm sure everyone here would solo over this progression and I'm sure they're miles ahead of in terms of speed, (or soul! hahahaha) or whatever parameter you insist on. What's sad is that ideas can come to me anytime, but I'm not physically blessed with speed and some such stuff so I can only do the things I know. I'm sure that's what you wanted to hear: a  statement that resembles surrender or something. If you're looking at a guitar battle, I plead no contest: you are obviously a guitarist; I'm a musician. What interests me in this particular chord change are the extensions or the upper partials to create more tension, not what melodic possiblities are present. I'll leave that to you because you're all better than me in terms of that.

And to tell you frankly, what I said wasn't even a theory. It was a simple matter of explaining things in musical terms, and would not go into your habit of being preposterous (look it up, will ya?). A theory encompasses a lot of phenomena.
I'd rather be sharp than flat.

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »
That's a universal thought, at least in my book

what's that book called? where can you get that book?...is it really YOUR book? someone might get mad...grammatically speaking, t's not YOUR book...it's the author's book...you merely own a copy of HIS/HER book...

be careful when you say "MY"....

someone here might go

"who the fcuk sait it was your book???"

and that'll start a whole new heated argument...
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:59 PM »
wow! i'm a cretin! nice...what's a cretin by the way? cretin sounds like a thin, lanky dude with a bigotilyo...hmmm...that can't be me...hey! that sounds kinda like you! i think i'm more of a fatty...

where can i buy this cd of yours titser_marco? i'd like to hear what atonal music sounds like...

right...maybe by your definition of diatonic, alot of jazz is diatonic...since you like making stuff up anyway...

you know what? don't question me with who wrote blah blah blah...coz you and i both know that that stuff is easily researchable on the internet...i can read about it, just like you probably did...so i won't even bother...what you can't research though would be a sample of your playing...now THAT'S an awesome example...send me a clip, a byte, a bit...i can name that tune in ONE note! just like the game show...

halika, bilhin ko cd mo ng mapakinggan ko...i'll send some money to a friend there to buy your cd...then i'll ask him to send it to me so i can hear the wonderful music that you play...i'm not kidding either...gimme the details...i'll write you a check...do you accept paypal?

IT IS YOUR OBLIGATION to let us all hear a sample by the way, otherwise your posts aren't worth [gooey brown stuff]...so prove me wrong....SHOW ME SOME GOOD ATONAL MUSIC! game!

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2006, 01:20:27 PM »
i'm not asking you to solo or to show off your skills...i'm asking you to post a clip of the so called progression that you made up...so we can hear how wonderful they sound...and how it affects us musically...let's hear it...

i'm not talking about skill...i'm talking theory man...

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
one for all!
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2006, 01:21:10 PM »
Why is everyone in such a feisty mood ? Must be the time of the month for a lot of us nyahehehe.

Saka yung me bigotilyo...hindi si Marco yan. If I'm not mistaken, that's Frank Zappa.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2006, 01:22:23 PM »
Why is everyone in such a feisty mood ? Must be the time of the month for a lot of us nyahehehe.
tayo na sa guitar center ....bili tayo ng amp head. (just like the wives do when they get pissed)

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2006, 01:23:02 PM »
oh i've seen pics of our english guru here...i wasn't referring to the avatar...

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2006, 01:24:46 PM »
oh i've seen pics of our english guru here...i wasn't referring to the avatar...
saan pre...? :lol:

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2006, 01:26:32 PM »
the mugshots (and what an appropriate title too) thread...

Offline ralphot

one for all!
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2006, 01:37:14 PM »

mag-Flash tsaka Photoshop na lang tayo, chief. hehehe.

i believe i saw a pic of him din somewhere sa Post Your Gear Pics thread. :?:

Offline alquin

one for all!
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2006, 01:47:17 PM »
Quote from: ralphot

mag-Flash tsaka Photoshop na lang tayo, chief. hehehe.

onga bro.. flash n lng tyo, at least di tyo away :D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
one for all!
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2006, 01:48:59 PM »
Want me to "flash" my "tube" ? Nyahehehe.

Offline markflo

one for all!
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2006, 01:49:29 PM »
oi titser_marco, antok nako...bukas nalang ulit...tagal mo eh...

love,
cretin

Offline Taoistguitarist

• Philmusicus Addictus
one for all!
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2006, 01:51:43 PM »
Want me to "flash" my "tube" ? Nyahehehe.

hahahaha!  :lol:

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
one for all!
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »
O ayan. Maikli pero mataba. Sounds orgasmic too.

Ika nga ng The Wuds...Oy put*ngina, TAMA NA AWAY !!!