hulika

Author Topic: BAMFx Guitar and Pedal Mods -BAMFx Bangaw "Acoustistrat" p. 51  (Read 221708 times)

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
Re: BAMFx Pedal Mods
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »
Yep. There's the pragmatic side to it din. Like I was about to modify a square-button Ibanez compressor, until someone more knowledgeable in pedal history said STOP !!!! That thing is VINTAGE and VERY RARE !!!!

Ooops. So I gave the pedal back, untouched. Ditto with TS808's, I always ask the owner how sure he is. The expensive ones...Jeckyll and Hydes, Nobels, etc...generally I'd turn them down. Not that I can't touch them, its just the act will automatically detract from the market value and collectibility of the thing.

And...it feels great to get great sounds out of cheap pedals like Denios and Bostons, and yeah, Boss's :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline guitarizta11

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
whoa sir BAMF..i was enthralled by the pics you uploaded..
pretty excited to be your client soon..hehe..
great work..astonishing indeed..
born to rock!!.. \m/

Offline IncX

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »

I got to borrow mom's digicam, and eventhough the sound you will be hearing is low quality, i think it would still give you a
fair assessment of what this pedal sounds like. it is sad that i do not have a stock MT2 to compare the bakemono, but
instead, i will use the B52's Marshall inspired gain to A/B between the two pedals.

and one more thing... the soundclips i have are really videoclips, but since nothing is going on, i guess it is somewhat
correct to call it a "soundclip."

the amp i used is a 100 watt solid state b52, and the guitar i used is a washburn DS 2 and im using the bill lawrence PUP in
the bridge position.

Presenting the MT2 Bakemono (alpha version) review:
*i just uploaded the clips so it may show up tomorrow or something.

I- Controls

just like the standard MT2, except there are switches/knobs added, while the stock knob frequencies have been improved.

1.) High (equalizer) = controls the treble.

2.) Low (equalizer) = controls the bass. i suggest liberal amount of this for massive chugging.

3.) Middle = parametric in nature, boosts or cuts the selected frequency of the "mid freq" knob.

4.) Mid Freq = partner in crime of the "middle," selects a mid freq for you to sweep on. In here lies the secret of the
bakemono.

5.) Screamer/MT2 mode = a switch located on the left wing ... and i do not know how to describe it, theres a soundclip of me
fiddling with the knobs below.

6.) Pre-bass = a knob located on the left wing, it adds some bass frequencies to the mix. it is VERY subtle, that i basically
just ignore it. check out the soundclip below

7.) Sushi/Warp mode = a switch located on the right wing of the MT2 Bakemono. what it does? i don't know. see below

8.) Warp controls = a knob located on the right wing. it is supposed to only work on warp mode, but, as to what it really
does... im not sure. see below.

*Soundclip for the knobs/switches which i dont have any opinion in =

forgive my inconsistent picking because holding a guitar + fiddling knobs + picking + balancing the cam is very hard to do
when you are alone. honestly, i think those knobs have very little or no effect at all to the sound. is this a bug?

II - My Experience and other comments

here's where the soundclip comes in. it kicks major a**. dont look at my playing (i havent practiced with a pick for awhile),
just listen to the sound.

*note: ALL b52 clean setting at: bass @ 8, middle @ 4, treble 7.
** also: i scratched the b52 gain vs. Bakemono in the latter end because im feeling lazy. i dont get paid for doing this you
know, hehehe... its just a hobby.

1.) Master of Puppets:
- B52 gain set to stage 2 (gain = 7, bass = 9, middle = 3, treble = 7 and contour = 8) =

- MT2 bakemono (low = full, high = 1 o' clock, middle = 9 o'clock, mid freq = 12, dist = 1 o' clock) =

2.) 16 note stuff:
- MT2 bakemono (low = full, high = 1 o' clock, middle = 11 o clock, mid freq = 3 o clock, distortion = 1 o'clock) = forgive
the ending... i ran out of things to play *lol* and im not big on retakes) =

4.) groovy downstroke stuff:
- MT2 bakemono (low = full, high = 11 o' clock, middle = 10 o clock, mid freq = 2 o clock, distortion = full) =

*the real versions are a lot clearer of course, but i hope you get some idea of what to expect with it.

III - Conclusion and Recommendation:

personally, i think every aspects of metal is covered in this pedal. sure there are ways to improve its sound (things like adding an EQ, sonic max, aural xciter, etc.), but as far as basic palette is concerned - this is it.

the first few months i had this, i was feeling bad because i thought it wasnt versatile, but then i realize that this pedal isnt supposed to be versatile... it is made for metal. it does one thing and it does that one thing very well... from shades of slayer, to metallica to pantera, this one has it. as long as you play fast, this pedal will suite you. if you dont like metal or dont like elements of pedal, stay away from this one! get a tube amp or another drive pedal.

now, if there are some weaknesses i could point out here, its basically clarity and mids... by itself, the mids are not powerful enough to define fast 16 note tremolo picking. and the other weakness is that i was hoping the other buttons affected the sound a lot more. subtlety is not metal.

i recommend you however, to get the Boston Hm100 and then have it modded like this...  thats a major bang for your buck.

it is no wonder pedals like metal master, uber metal, etc. are getting a run for their money.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:42 PM »
Eyy thanks for the very transparent review Reuel.

I'm discovering a couple of new things lately, but in the meanwhile, try a few things :

1. Try bringing the gain knob down to about 8-9 o'clock. Then try that setting along with the EQ knobs for other genre's like classic rock and blues.

2. See if the Sushi-cleanup feature is useful to you. Like the pedal cleans up when you turn the guitar volume knob down. Only works on the Sushi module setting.

I concluded that somehow, because of the older OP-Amp chips used by the MT2, it is muddier and more aggressive than the HM-100. Just give me a couple of weeks to a month, and I'll be able to transplant a daughterboard on an MT2 which will allow the use of superior OP-Amps.

Right...today, there are more sonic possibilities for the HM100. Till further notice tho :D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2007, 06:27:43 PM »
sir, ano mangyayari pag imod mo crybaby gcb-95?  :lol:

yung crybaby na walang controllable parameters (on/off lang)

and pwede ba syang lagyan ng auto bypass?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 06:29:14 PM by Lahed92801 »

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2007, 09:36:32 PM »
auto on is not feasible. Possible, but ugh...

BTW...forget what i said about the OPAmp transplant. I did a little homework while at school. The IC transplant for the MT2 is the same as that for the DS1, and that has been figured out already. Next step is to do a prototype :D.

Soon, the MT2 will gain the lush rich tone possible on the Boston HM100 :D

Offline Jem-Jr.™

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2007, 09:58:47 PM »
sana may mag post ng clips ng modified HM100  :-D
EBMM 2014 JPXIII-7 - Mesa Boogie Mark IVa - Mesa Boogie Rectifier Horizontal Cabinet 2x12 - Dunlop JP95 Wah - Fractal FM3 - EBVP Stereo 25k - Headrush FRFR 108 Stereo

Offline soundsofmute

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2007, 09:36:28 AM »
sir jobet...infos naman po about moding of guitar amplifiers!  :-D
the red posion at  your lips...the red poison at your eyes..there, where i kissed the blood from!

Offline icezyklon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2007, 10:31:59 AM »
sir.. BAMF meron kbang for sale na on and off switch for crybaby 535Q...?
thanks sir..........

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2007, 10:47:11 AM »

Same principles lang naman as pedals. Like if the drive portion is op-amp based, just increase the value of the feedback resistor to increase gain. Try different types of OP-amps.  To smoothen out the highs, increase the value of the cornering cap. If it's transistorized, put a cap on the emitter resistor (or a higher value) for a hotter signal (although this muddies the tone in certain extremes). For more bass, increase the input and coupling cap values. For a fuller drive tone, replace the clip stage with an asymmetrical configuration with higher forward voltage.

Try different types of tubes. Hot-bias the tubes. And etc etc etc. :D

I'm still learning. The remnants of my Rage amp will be my first solid state guinea pig :D

And etc etc etc.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
thanks sir..........

I have one last X-wing type DPDT footswitch. I also still have a couple of Taiwan Blue 3PDT's. i can let the X-wing go...although tinitipid ko yung 3PDT's for my own projects :D

Offline soundsofmute

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »

Same principles lang naman as pedals. Like if the drive portion is op-amp based, just increase the value of the feedback resistor to increase gain. Try different types of OP-amps.  To smoothen out the highs, increase the value of the cornering cap. If it's transistorized, put a cap on the emitter resistor (or a higher value) for a hotter signal (although this muddies the tone in certain extremes). For more bass, increase the input and coupling cap values. For a fuller drive tone, replace the clip stage with an asymmetrical configuration with higher forward voltage.

Try different types of tubes. Hot-bias the tubes. And etc etc etc. :D

I'm still learning. The remnants of my Rage amp will be my first solid state guinea pig :D

And etc etc etc.
ah..specificaly wat brands po ang mino-mod nyo sir?.....and,how much for the modification na gagawing ok yung talas at chugchug ng amp?  :-D matagal po ba gawin?  :-)
the red posion at  your lips...the red poison at your eyes..there, where i kissed the blood from!

Offline badongrodrigs

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »
hangkulit mo magtanong jeckler ah hahahaha

sir jobet hows my DS1? :-D

Offline soundsofmute

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2007, 11:34:01 AM »
hangkulit mo magtanong jeckler ah hahahaha

sir jobet hows my DS1? :-D

aba....para mtuto! dapat mangulit!  :-D

mahirap na magkamli eh.....

Offline ferdie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2007, 11:47:53 AM »
Sir jobet pwede ba palitan yung gain pot (or may available bang ganun type ng pot) ng behringer blues OD ko. mine isnt working e.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:43:03 PM by ferdie »

Offline IncX

« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2007, 04:12:17 PM »
Eyy thanks for the very transparent review Reuel.

I'm discovering a couple of new things lately, but in the meanwhile, try a few things :

1. Try bringing the gain knob down to about 8-9 o'clock. Then try that setting along with the EQ knobs for other genre's like classic rock and blues.

2. See if the Sushi-cleanup feature is useful to you. Like the pedal cleans up when you turn the guitar volume knob down. Only works on the Sushi module setting.

I concluded that somehow, because of the older OP-Amp chips used by the MT2, it is muddier and more aggressive than the HM-100. Just give me a couple of weeks to a month, and I'll be able to transplant a daughterboard on an MT2 which will allow the use of superior OP-Amps.

Right...today, there are more sonic possibilities for the HM100. Till further notice tho :D

sure bro ... i'll post clips of this when im not feeling lazy. those knobs might only work on low gain settings perhaps?

Offline icezyklon

• Netizen Level
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »
thanks sir..........

I have one last X-wing type DPDT footswitch. I also still have a couple of Taiwan Blue 3PDT's. i can let the X-wing go...although tinitipid ko yung 3PDT's for my own projects :D

sir.. how much kaya kung pgawa ko ung crybaby 535Q?
koh kc busted na ung bypass switch....?

Offline changedmynametojimi

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2007, 09:08:04 AM »
sir bamf...

ano po mods na kaya niyo po gawin sa boss sd1?

a) pwede po ba ts808 ang dating?
 b) ts9?
 c) or any mod near to those stompboxes?

thanks!!

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2007, 09:36:42 AM »
sir bamf...

ano po mods na kaya niyo po gawin sa boss sd1?

a) pwede po ba ts808 ang dating?
 b) ts9?
 c) or any mod near to those stompboxes?

thanks!!

Yes to all :D . The SD1 is Boss's clone of the Tubescreamer. The differences are  very minute, and just instituting those differences will bring the SD1 to TS specs.

Next question ko lang: baket ?? :D  . Oks na oks na ang SD1. Sabagay, tenga-tenga lang naman yan :D

Offline paquitz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2007, 12:22:04 AM »
Hay mababaliw na yata ako. Wala pa budget pumunta sa shop ni BAMF para mag pa mod. 

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2007, 12:12:54 PM »
auto on is not feasible. Possible, but ugh...

even for 3 thousand?  :-D lol joke

pero sir you can put naman  mga controllable parameters? And btw, can you extend pa the sweep and/or make it smoother?  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2007, 12:17:14 PM »
Ah yes. Variable sweep frequency (varying center freq), and Q-control.

Tapos ang nakakainis pa, the el cheapo Behringer Hellbabe already has all you're asking for...while stock !!!

Bili ka na lang ng Hellbabe :D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2007, 12:27:25 PM »

Tapos ang nakakainis pa, the el cheapo Behringer Hellbabe already has all you're asking for...while stock !!!

That wouldn't make you money would it?  :-D

kasi bro, bigay lang sakin tong crybaby  :-D  :-D  :-D
problem ko lang dito is that medyo di smooth yung transition from thin to thick. Tapos nawawala yung sound ng gutiar ng konti sa heel position.

Pero ang tibay bro, nahulog ng PA sa isang gig namin, not a scratch

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2007, 12:39:10 PM »

That wouldn't make you money would it?  :-D

kasi bro, bigay lang sakin tong crybaby  :-D  :-D  :-D
problem ko lang dito is that medyo di smooth yung transition from thin to thick. Tapos nawawala yung sound ng gutiar ng konti sa heel position.

Pero ang tibay bro, nahulog ng PA sa isang gig namin, not a scratch

Yep. But money, while good and buys me things, is not the primary motivator at work :D .

Yes all your requests can be done (except the auto-on for now), including variable sweep and variable Q-control. Yes, the cost can be a little steep because it's relatively a lot of work, but I don't think it will be 3k. Siguro mga 2.9k :D Jok. PM na lang.