hulika

Author Topic: ad da converters  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Thechief

ad da converters
« on: February 09, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
masters, di ko lubos maintindihan ito.. ano ba talaga ang ad da converter? kailan ba kailangan/ginagamit ang ad da converters sa recording? thanks

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: ad da converters
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »
2 things to remember: A stands for Analog while D stands for Digital. So if you see the term A/D, that stands for Analog-to-Digital converter while D/A is Digital-to-Analog. Usually, these converters are involved in ANY form of digital recording, whether is is to ADAT tape, DAT recorders, or computer recording.

A/D converters are responsible for the conversion of analog impulses, usually electrical, into digital ones and zeroes. Usually, the analog waveform is reconstructed in digital form so that it recreates the complex analog waves into digital representations that a computer or digital recorder can manipulate.

D/A converters, OTOH, reverse the process whereby the digital waveforms are converted back to analog so that you can hear it. These converters exist in anything from soundcards to mp3 players and cd walkmans.

How are these important to a computer-based musician or recording system? Simply put, the best A/D and D/A converters tend to accurately capture and convey sound. Poor converters usually are tiring to hear in the long run and often do not convey an accurate sense of 'space' in a recording (sort of like a collapsing stereo image). Part of this is because of poor clocks and high jitter in the converter circuitry. A good example will be to compare the sound output of a low quality consumer soundcard with a mastering grade soundcard. There is often a sense of airiness with very good cards that is pleasing to the ear and you can hear every nuance of a musical performance. Poor soundcards, aside from being noisy, often have poor imaging and sometimes do not accurately reproduce the audio frequency spectrum accurately.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 10:42:38 AM »
A/D D/A conversion is the heart of digital recording.  It's just like comparing a Nokia 2.1 Megapixel camera versus a 3-year old 2.1 Megapixel Canon powershot camera.  Same 2.1MP resolution, but their picture quality tell the whole story.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »
A/D D/A conversion is the heart of digital recording.  It's just like comparing a Nokia 2.1 Megapixel camera versus a 3-year old 2.1 Megapixel Canon powershot camera.  Same 2.1MP resolution, but their picture quality tell the whole story.

Resolution in digital photography is different when compared with digital audio. In your analogy, aside from the lens being a major factor in image resolution, the quality of the CCD also comes into effect. For me, aside from clarity, the biggest factor in digicam quality is color accuracy (hmmm...this should be in the digital photog forums), kind of like the old Sakura films that had a distinctive pink shift in the reds when compared to Kodachrome in the old film days. Sadly, my old Nikon F2 is gathering dust in the cabinet, but I digress...

The quality of an A/D converter is readily apparent when recording thru an ordinary soundblaster compared to an RME, Lynx or any high quality soundcard. For ex., set both to a 16-bit 44.1 khz samplerate and record the same wave. The first difference you will notice is the noise floor - soundblasters are notoriously noisy in comparison; compare the silent portions in a spectral analyzerand you will see/hear what I mean. The next thing, though not immediately apparent, is DC offset - I had one card where the left channel consistently offset the waveform... moving to my 6fire showed the cables weren't at fault. Another thing is frequency response with cheap cards having uneven response curves. The last, and most unnoticeable but very important difference you might notice is jitter. Among other things, jitter affects clarity - you hear it in fading reverb tails and in high frequencies... the sound just isn't smooth enough (not to be confused with dither which can be audible at high gain). Roger Nichols even goes to say that bass frequencies are affected by jitter, saying that low jitter cards have tighter bass. My analogy with jitter is that it's like a lens that is ever so slightly out of focus, but it's effects with sound go further by even affecting stereo image. This is not immediately apparent when listening to the wave by itself; it has to be A/B'd between a cheap and high-end card.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 11:44:46 AM »
Low and high end cards....kinda reminds me of how I "saw the light" when I left behind my soundblaster and got my first serious soundcard almost a decade ago! Oh the memories...
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline Thechief

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:25:32 PM »
ok naw.. loud and clear.. galing.. thanks mga sir! years from now, when i know enough, ako din mags-share ng kaalaman.. happy valentines all!