hulika

Author Topic: where is cubase?  (Read 6965 times)

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: where is cubase?
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2007, 12:42:38 AM »
I heard that using an ACADEMIC VERSION of software FOR PROFESSIONAL USE is illegal.   :?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2007, 01:04:12 AM »
I heard that using an ACADEMIC VERSION of software FOR PROFESSIONAL USE is illegal.   :?

I think the software's terms of use and EULA specify that. I've also heard of unconfirmed reports that academic versions have no upgrade path.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2007, 03:57:21 AM »
I think the software's terms of use and EULA specify that. I've also heard of unconfirmed reports that academic versions have no upgrade path.

you could upgrade them but the license transfer is quite tricky for specific companies. I know NI prohibits the transfer of license between people for academic versions even if both of you are students or affiliated with a university.

@Kit - oh yes - i have been on my java all morning. i haven't upgraded to C4 and I am not sure I will any time soon because the feedback from fellow users still leans too much on the negative elements where Steiny has dropped the ball, particularly with C4's stability. Magazine reviews all offer stellar reviews of C4 but the general opinion differs greatly with the larger batch of posts on the Cubase.net forums. Granted, I don't have any projects on Cubase right now (I have scoring work on Nuendo) but, if I can help it, I don't want to spend the 200 bucks on a upgrade that I won't be able to rely on consistently. In particular, I worry about the complaints of import-export features that seem to be really shady because I use this feature a lot and if that aspect of C4 is unreliable or buggy, I can't justify the upgrade. SX3 is very solid for me and I've never had the thing crash on me - I want the scenario to be the same for C4 when I take the plunge.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2007, 01:01:59 AM »
Rodster is using his built-in soundcard and wants Cubase SX3.   :-D

I've used pirated software in the past but as I see you are not really that serious at even getting halfway decent with your recording setup.  As the saying goes, "You're just as good as your weakest link..."

I might take a jump to the newest release of Cubase but I'm just waiting for a good deal.  Langya kasi yang EWQLSC and EWQLSO out of budget na ako!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2007, 03:12:00 AM »

I've used pirated software in the past but as I see you are not really that serious at even getting halfway decent with your recording setup.  As the saying goes, "You're just as good as your weakest link..."

I might take a jump to the newest release of Cubase but I'm just waiting for a good deal.  Langya kasi yang EWQLSC and EWQLSO out of budget na ako!

those software packages are very, very good - I have them as well and I am a huge fan of their programs.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2007, 03:17:43 AM »
those software packages are very, very good - I have them as well and I am a huge fan of their programs.

Hey Abyss, how hard is it to use the word builder in EWQLSC?  I was wondering if it was necessary to use the mod wheel a lot when doing those gliding note changes in the choir.  Damn, these things can fool you into thinking you're using a real choir!

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
Hey Abyss, how hard is it to use the word builder in EWQLSC?  I was wondering if it was necessary to use the mod wheel a lot when doing those gliding note changes in the choir.  Damn, these things can fool you into thinking you're using a real choir!

you could use the mod wheel to input the changes - it is easier, i think -  but, IMO, a more important thing to watch out for when using the word builder would be to pay close attention to how you are separating the syllables to make the choir parts much more distinct and believable.

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2007, 11:21:56 AM »

now's the best time to get those.  eastwest got a sale goin til the 31st.  took the plunge and got the platinum bundle myself earlier this year.  sounds very good with the 24-bit samples and 5.1 capability.  the choirs can be a bitch to get goin though, takes a while to learn how to work it.

i'm decidin whether to get voices of passion.  but the PLAY engine aint stable enough at the moment.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline Rodster

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:51 AM »

i just want to correct this...first, im not using a built-in soundcard...never did. i've started out with a creative sb live 24-bit...now migrating to an m-audio audiophile 2496 hehehehe katas ng pasko ika nga

2nd, i didn't have the 'want'...more of  'was' interested to know more about cubase compare with my sonar 7 and adobe audition. the results...i prefer adobe   and sonar7 hehehe

i just also want to bring out my opinion about the quote

---I've used pirated software in the past but as I see you are not really that serious at even getting halfway decent with your recording setup.  As the saying goes, "You're just as good as your weakest link..."----

you can never, ever measure someone's heart and desire just like that. my setup is more than halfway DECENT. sa software lang ako lapse...and i have my own reason. i presume some of you people here are rich enough or well off to invest in such software. at least, u admitted that you onced use pirated software. let's put it this way....i too will say the same thing....in my time...at my own pace

yun lang, happy new year. rereformat pako pc after this. i was adviced to reformat before installing my m-audio card. orig xp ko ha heheh sa jan na uli ako mag babasa ng mga post.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
rereformat pako pc after this. i was adviced to reformat before installing my m-audio card.

Personally, I don't see a need to reformat when installing new hardware, but I do see a need for making sure your system is properly tuned for audio. By default, after every new install, windows is more primed for video and multimedia than for the needs of audio. Another thing is to make sure your audio card does not share an IRQ with the video card. Windows may report no conflicts, but when it comes to audio, windows know practically nothing about it, that's why we have to tweak our systems first.

About built-in soundcards... if anyone here has performed as much tests on his own system as much as I have, why not try sharing that with us? Unfortunately, my own tests were undocumented but they did prove to me how important a good soundcard is for recording and mixing. My pet peeves with cheap soundcards and onboard audio? A high noise floor, uneven frequency response and DC offset. I've also mixed on Altec Lansings and I can tell you to stay away from them for serious mixing, unless you happen to be making music for computer games.

Glad you are thinking about getting Cubase, Rodster. Pirated software is so easy to obtain nowadays and versus the cost of the real thing, it's almost easy to justify obtaining it. Just to be clear, though, not all of us are rich enough. My first, biggest investment was my 1820m which came with Cubase VST, and that took quite some time to pay off (it helps when one has relatives abroad). There was an upgrade path to Cubase SL2 which cost under $200 so I took the plunge. And then came Sonar 4... it did take me quite some time to pay off my debts. The beauty of having the real thing is that upgrading is so inexpensive, plus the manuals that come with the software are practically priceless!

I agree we shouldn't be so judgmental about people, but let's also be clear about software piracy. The proliferation of pirated software and the amount of people using it has a direct bearing on the cost of the original product. People don't buy the real thing leading to lower sales thereby driving up the original's cost. Eventually, there won't be enough demand that the company will have to close the line or go out of business altogether. This makes the support of pirated software a self-defeating exercise, doesn't it? It threatens the existence of the very tools we use for our craft. It also makes vendors very apprehensive about selling software here since they know they cannot make money if people will buy pirated software instead. We all lose out since we will be depriving ourselves of much needed software technologies and support.

A Happy New Year to you! I hope the above has given you a more enlightened view about our reactions and our way of thinking. When I saw your first post, I knew how people were going to react; it is unfortunate that some were too quick to anger, and for that I apologize.

A Prosperous New Year to all!!!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Rodster

« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2007, 02:37:19 PM »
no need to apologize, kit. i appreciate your every thoughts, advice, links and tips. you have earned my respect. i guess i was not that sensitive to think what other people may say before i post. even to everyone who have responsed neg or violently 

i've been open to both sides of the debate about piracy.

a happy new year to everyone here at the music tech and pro audio section. i'm glad this forum exist.

rody

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »
Rodster,

Sorry for the pricky statement.  :wink:  I just want to tell you that software seems to be where most modern musicians cut corners on, by using crackware.  You know how bad piracy is nowadays?  I was able to buy a PIRATED version of NI B4 at eBay a few years back.  I thought I got  a good price for it, and thought it was legit, not until some friggin CDR came to my doorstep.  Had I known it was pirated, I shouldn't have jumped to that, and take note that was from AN AMERICAN SELLER.

I have a little tale for you. Some few years back with my good ol' 1.5GHz Socket 423 P4 PC, I was using Windows 98SE. The entry-level system at the time for a PC was at least 2.0GHz with a Northwood socket.  Ya know, when some friends and clients saw my "crappy" Win98se OS, they were kind of 'laughing' at me.  "Bakit ka pa naka 98, eh mas maganda ang XP???"  So I said, there were a lot of issues, especially with my Lexicon Core2 system at the time.  And I said, "Because I use a legit copy of Windows 98..."  So my buddy client started laughing  and said, "Baka kay Bill Gates mo pa nabili yang installer mo... Magpirated ka na lang..."

It seems that most people like the convenience of newer software, but don't wanna legitimize their stuff. 

Anyway, just a little tip:  YOU DON'T NEED THAT MUCH SOFTWARE.  They'll save you resources and Registry problems. I see some people who install tons of plugins (of the same application) without even learning how to optimize one of them. 

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2007, 12:54:00 AM »
Anyway, just a little tip:  YOU DON'T NEED THAT MUCH SOFTWARE.  They'll save you resources and Registry problems. I see some people who install tons of plugins (of the same application) without even learning how to optimize one of them. 

i agree. it is amazing what you can accomplish with the right amount and right type of tools. a lot of people get into the rut of getting everything thinking that productivity increases with the amount of stuff you have when, in actuality, it really does more harm than good. i am a firm believer in the need to use what you have and to really know what each tool does so you can tap into your potential using particular production tools whether it is a plug-in or outboard gear. the theory behind production work is so vast that there is always something new and interesting to improve what you already know.

Offline Rodster

« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »

thanks for the tip, man.  i think i have to learn to hold myself in terms of the programs i use. as i type this, my asus motherboard had been pulled out for service/replacement. it happened the day i installed my m-audio card.

when i get my board back, il reformat my cpu. install ONLY what i need. orig xp ko ha =)

thanks and a happy new year

Offline jay4roca

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2008, 03:30:31 PM »
i think JB sells cubase. :-)

if not, they sell protools for m-audio, maybe you could give that a try because the pros swear by protools.......

i swear by CUBASE!