hulika

Author Topic: Which DAW software to choose  (Read 2321 times)

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
Which DAW software to choose
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:26:13 PM »
Mga bros, any suggestions on what software to use for my newbie recordings?  I currently have the ff. equipment:
- 2.4Ghz Core2Duo XP-based PC w/ 1gig RAM
- 2Ghz Macbook w/ 1gig RAM
- M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
- Vox Tonelab LE guitar processor (spdif out)
- BD75B bass amp (XLR recording out)
- no mics (i'm working on it, SM57 sana)
- Cahon, shakers, tambourines, etc. (to be miked)

I'm not having a studio made, just a nice little recording setup for our basement.  The Ultra comes bundled with Ableton Live Lite 6, but it only has 4 tracks.  I also have Garageband bundled with the Macbook, but it hasn't been upgraded.

What's would give me good flexibility for multiple tracks, but also has an idiot-proof looper function ala Garageband?  Oh, and won't cost more than 8-10k?

Thanks.
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline ailes

Re: Which DAW software to choose
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »
Mga bros, any suggestions on what software to use for my newbie recordings?  I currently have the ff. equipment:
- 2.4Ghz Core2Duo XP-based PC w/ 1gig RAM
- 2Ghz Macbook w/ 1gig RAM
- M-Audio Fast Track Ultra
- Vox Tonelab LE guitar processor (spdif out)
- BD75B bass amp (XLR recording out)
- no mics (i'm working on it, SM57 sana)
- Cahon, shakers, tambourines, etc. (to be miked)

I'm not having a studio made, just a nice little recording setup for our basement.  The Ultra comes bundled with Ableton Live Lite 6, but it only has 4 tracks.  I also have Garageband bundled with the Macbook, but it hasn't been upgraded.

What's would give me good flexibility for multiple tracks, but also has an idiot-proof looper function ala Garageband?  Oh, and won't cost more than 8-10k?

Thanks.

you could Audition or Vegas for PC... Pro Tools, Garageband, Logic Pro for Mac...
Cookies in a Jar
Music online.. Web development..

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 01:20:51 AM »
galing talaga ni ailes. expert talaga sa ganyang topic.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis
 http://soundcloud.com/jammingpapu

Offline tapslore

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:36:56 AM »
thanks sir ailes.  will research your reco's.  may i know which shops distribute these in the Philippines?
The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:47:19 AM »
thanks sir ailes.  will research your reco's.  may i know which shops distribute these in the Philippines?

Here's the thing. Pro Tools that Ailes recommended for Mac, can also run on Windows. So you can also use Pro Tools for your PC.

Garage Band and Logic can be purchased from Apple Resellers in the Philippines

Pro Tools is Available at Challenge Systems Inc. Digital Media Inc. for the HD Systems and JB Music for the LE systems

Audition can be purchased from Authorized Adobe Distributors and Resellers

As for Vegas, I'm not sure if the Sony Distributor sells this in the Philippines, but this can also be purchased online.

HTH.

Cheers.

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks.

...We sell PRO TOOLS M-POWERED @ around 14-16k...(I cant remember exactly...I had too much beer last night! hehe!)...
        But if you want a cheaper alternative without resolving to downloading hacked software, you might want to consider buying some gear with bundled software... We have the ZOOM G2.1u, B2.1u, A2.1u, G7 and G9 guitar effects/interface and they all have CUBASE LE or LE4... The software is capable of 40+ tracks of audio, lots of midi tracks,plus it has lots of plug-ins already. The G2.1u cost around 7k+ while the A2.1u and B2.1u is on the 8-9k range...

Just a suggestion...
( Check din if your other gear have bundled stuff already)
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline carl20

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:12:14 PM »
ok tong topic na to hehehe!  :-D
COMBOWORKS

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »
+1 on bundled software! This is how I got my Cubase cheaply since the upgrade option with bundled soft can be comparatively inexpensive. For Cubase, for ex.,  steinbergusers.com has some interesting upgrade options for LE users.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline mariuo

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
i thank god (and apple) for garageband hehe. so easy

Offline x_taxi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:18:13 PM »
logic express 8.  and it's so much easier to use than logic 7, more intuitive.  plus them apple manuals are an easy read.

it's only 199 USD at SRP, well within your budget.

:-) :-) :-)
:razz::razz::razz:

Offline mariuo

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
logic is pretty much like garageband from what i've tried. more knobs to tweak though hehe. yeah mmm logic, one day hehe

btw, for pro-tools please remember to get the M-Powered since you got the m-audio interface. i believe the regular pro-tools LE will not run if you don't have a digidesign interface

Offline bloodshedd

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
+1 on bundled software! This is how I got my Cubase cheaply since the upgrade option with bundled soft can be comparatively inexpensive. For Cubase, for ex.,  steinbergusers.com has some interesting upgrade options for LE users.

Right on! How cab something that runs good, free and legal be not good!???

Andaming gear na me free software...might as well gamitin natin!
For JB MUSIC AND SPORTS' big discounts and 0% installment deals.... Check out https://www.facebook.com/JBMusicPh

Contact JB MUSIC ALABANG TOWN CENTER @ 809-1726 and 842-9545  Check out BADBURN @ https://www.facebook.com/pages/Badburn/114672008558924?ref=

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 07:18:03 AM »
i believe the regular pro-tools LE will not run if you don't have a digidesign interface

That is correct. However, you will not be able to get a Pro Tools LE software if you don't buy the interface. For Pro Tools LE and Pro Tools HD, the software comes free. You are buying the interface. Also, the software that you are getting are not just demo versions. They are full version of Pro Tools as well as additional software like, Reason, Ableton, Melodyne, ETC. That's what you get with a Pro Tools LE Package.

Cheers.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 03:54:12 AM »
if i have known this earlier i might as well bought a Digidesign Mbox which is bundled with Pro Tools LE instead of a separate soundcard, mixer/pre-amp and a DAW. anyways, things are fine in my setup right now. thanks to our philmusic people that are more than willing to share their recording wisdom to all of us.  :-D
“Man, you don't have to play a whole lot of notes. You just have to play the pretty ones.”
- Miles Davis

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 08:51:51 PM »
if i have known this earlier i might as well bought a Digidesign Mbox which is bundled with Pro Tools LE instead of a separate soundcard, mixer/pre-amp and a DAW. anyways, things are fine in my setup right now. thanks to our philmusic people that are more than willing to share their recording wisdom to all of us.  :-D

Don't fret. Digidesign is still offering an exchange. You can exchange your 3rd Party DAW for a Digi 003 mixer or rack.

Cheers.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:24 AM »
Don't fret. Digidesign is still offering an exchange. You can exchange your 3rd Party DAW for a Digi 003 mixer or rack.

Cheers.

really? is there a website or webpage where i can find more details about this DAW exchange? just asking.  :-D
- Miles Davis

Offline abusound

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:22:14 AM »
really? is there a website or webpage where i can find more details about this DAW exchange? just asking.  :-D

Here you go:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=72&langid=100&itemid=24722

Enjoy.

Offline jamming_papu

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:49 PM »
haha... it's something quite beyond my budget. :-D

and it may be quite too much for my setup. by the way, im doing a bedroom recording studio only.

anyways, thanks for the information.
- Miles Davis