hulika

Author Topic: Do Cheap Guitars/Effects Increase Value?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline tejadamj

Do Cheap Guitars/Effects Increase Value?
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:24:17 AM »
Question to Guitar & Effects Collectors? Meron bang mga cheap guitars (mga made in other countries, outsourced by the known brands) na nagiging vintage collectors item in the future and in the end increase their market value?

Same as with effects I had a Marshall Shredmaster (which is a known brand) which I bought way back 1994 for 1,900 sa yupangco sale but ngayon mataas pala ang resale value nya mga 4,000 i think.  :-D

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Do Cheap Guitars/Effects Increase Value?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 10:29:26 AM »
chance lang naman cguro na mag increase in value isang gamit...

sa guitars....malabo mag increase price value ng mga low end tulad ng gio and squier pero i think may chance na lumaki value nung mga high end like ung mga vintage strats and rg550's

sa effects...uh....di ko masyado alam hehehehe

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »
siguro baka di natin alam malay mo....... :-D

dehin nag aapreciate ang mga low end guitars, not unless maybe van helen used it in a highly documented tour or something, analog branded pedals do appreciate at some point :mrgreen: ive been trading gears for about ten years now this is how the market goes, for example a mint DM3 or DM2 delay cost more than a DD3

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:10:45 AM »
A low end guitar COULD increase in value over the years given that:

a. Its been discontinued
b. There is a following for that certain guitar
c. Its well taken care of
d. The economy changes
e. It earns a reputation

and so on.

Just because a guitar is low-end and cheap doesnt mean it will never appreciate.
Remember, everything has a chance to appreciate given time and care.

As for effects, yes, If for example a certain effect (Like an arion stereo chorus) which was very cheap pedal back then, can shot as high up ap 100+ us dollars in an auction. Given that it was discontinued and there was a following.

My bets on diamonds in the rough:

Danelectro FAB Chorus, If ever dano goes out of business or they discontinue this gem.
DOD 250, if they stop production

proof that cheap stuff does appreciate:

American DOD250 preamp/od - can go as high as 200+ USD on auctions
Old Ibanez Screamers - same
Old Ibanez SD9 and other 9 series pedals.

Remember, those pedals were not as expensive back in the day. and look at them now.
Get Wylde.

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 11:28:47 AM »
may chance na lumaki value nung mga high end like ung mga vintage strats and rg550's

another reason why im not letting go of my rg550. hoping that one day its price value would go up hehehe!  :lol:

yes they do... just try surfing ebay and ishibashi.com, youll find a lot of old cheapo stuff from the yesteryears being sold twice or 3 times its original price.

Offline CARABAO

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:32:56 AM »
correct me if i'm wrong, but maybe the best example for cheap guitars that had values appreciated is the gibson les paul junior. yung may isang pickup lang. back in the days, it was sold cheap ata. pero tamo ngayon. hehe.

and +1 kay gjuanengo, prices MAY go up IF (at lahat ng sinabi niya sa list niya):
1) the item has been discontinued (plus expect the reissues to be cheap, and originals to shoot up)

dagdag ko lang:
1) if reissues/substitutes can't measure up to the original. case in point: shredmaster vs jackhammer, ts808 vs ts808 RI

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
may chance na lumaki value nung mga high end like ung mga vintage strats and rg550's

another reason why im not letting go of my rg550. hoping that one day its price value would go up hehehe!  :lol:

yes they do... just try surfing ebay and ishibashi.com, youll find a lot of old cheapo stuff from the yesteryears being sold twice or 3 times its original price.

pagkalam ko tumaas na presyo nung rg550....kahit may reissue sila ngaun mas mataas parin ung unang rg550 ata...

Offline fraudulentzodiac

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 11:36:20 AM »
With regards to pedals I got a CS-2 dito for 3.2K and I browsed ebay for buy it now CS-2's in the same condition as mine and the lowest I say was 5K!
I also bought a ProCo Vintage RAT (the big box "The RAT" Reissue) for 7K and found the original in mint condition go for 12K at the lowest!

Offline nuno

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 11:49:01 AM »

pagkalam ko tumaas na presyo nung rg550....kahit may reissue sila ngaun mas mataas parin ung unang rg550 ata...

nice!  :evil: my 550 is around 17 y/o now  hehehe! kaso dami nang paint chips and rust sa may bridge saddles and the pups are all heavily modified.

have i soiled its market value?  :|

Offline tejadamj

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 05:40:59 PM »
I guess may pag asa pala maging collectors din ang mga guitara ko. As far as effects yung mga stomp box lang ang tumataas ang value yung mga multifx tend to depreciate lang?

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 07:36:12 PM »
supply and semand lang.....

Offline gjuanengo

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 07:40:28 PM »
I guess may pag asa pala maging collectors din ang mga guitara ko. As far as effects yung mga stomp box lang ang tumataas ang value yung mga multifx tend to depreciate lang?

Also depends.

For example, if Line6 were to stop the POD XTL, and replace it with an XTL2, but it turns out ugly.

The price of the POD XTL would increase.

Its all about how the market responds to the product, and just how wanted it turns out to be.
Get Wylde.

Offline andrew_O_O

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 07:57:15 PM »

nice!  :evil: my 550 is around 17 y/o now  hehehe! kaso dami nang paint chips and rust sa may bridge saddles and the pups are all heavily modified.

have i soiled its market value?  :|

in my opinion mga gitarang itsurang gamit na gamit ay mas maganda kaysa sa itsurang bago.

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 08:24:31 PM »
Classic example that comes to my mind are the Guild guitars.

They were considered to be the "squiers" of their day, the bargain-basement crappola.

But that's the thing...they were what most blues guitars could afford. And so, lots of great Blues music were played on guild guitars.

Those guitars from that 50-60's era are now collectors items.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline farseer

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
I never thought that guilds were considered low end... may high end at low end sila... if you compare their prices w/ a similar model from gibson and martin back in the 50's till the 70's, di naman malayo yun presyo (eg. D18 vs D40 or J200 vs D55/F50)... but yes, they have entry level guitars same as gibson and martin... di nga lang masyadong nagaappreciate yun mga old guilds tulad ng popular models from gibson, martin and fender...

Best example of cheap guitars becoming collectible and expensive are the entry level lespaul special and juniors from gibson...  :-) :-) :-)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 10:37:30 PM by farseer »

Offline PRSMan

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Everything at some point was relatively inexpensive right?  Before Charley Wirz kicked off the first guitar shows and showcased "old" guitars, those "old" guitars didn't carry the "vintage" price they carry today.  They were just "old" guitars.  So current value does not really dictate future value.  Those pricey boutique guitars today that few people play?  Who knows what price they'll command 20 years from now.  I won't be surprised if they'll be worth less than more mainstream guitars that go for less today but are used by a larger group and endorsed by big-named players.

Offline erniebong

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
i still believe 90's cheapskate guitars (like the standard korean squires) will not appreciate in a million years unless a famous celebrity had owned it or had a peculiar media milage with it or something (then again how many of those units will have this privilage?).

the case of LP juniors and the likes back then are kinda different, they still use good qualilty materials unlike the 90's where in most entry level guitars are made of plywood.   

Offline vegetablejoe

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »
I'm still waiting for my inexpensive Nighthawk to appreciate in value... (not that I want to sell it).

The local stores' changes in NOS prices have to do more with monetary devaluation, plus their wishful thinking.  :-(

Kung ang Melody Maker, meron nang RI, maybe someday there will also be a Nighthawk RI  :-D

Offline IncX

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 04:24:24 PM »
i think guitar stuff dont appreciate mainly because it is technology related... technology tends to improve, thus phasing out the old ones (in effect, makes them a lot cheaper).

the only way for guitars to appreciate in value is when the world runs out of wood... then your lumanog that you got for 500 php would suddenly be worth 3K. that wouldnt happen anytime soon though ...

another way is to be endorsed for free by a new guitar god. though i doubt the world will have a new guitar god soon that will turn a made in japan aria pro into a collector's item. the last guitar hero (im using the term loosely) who came out was Tom Morello, and i dont think he made any guitar more expensive than it should be (he is a fan of cheap guitars btw). the new guys are good, but i dont think they have achieve the stuff that made yngwie, paul gilbert, van halen, etc. guitar gods.

i have a washburn dimebag darrell ... dime is dead and i think washburn discontinued their dime signature guitar line (dean hold's dime's name) ... im not even sure whether this guitar has increased in value, if it did, i would gladly trade this for the dean razorback. i think the new one has better specs...

-*-

for stomp boxes to appreciate in value, they have to be made in small quantities, but with a great demand, then suddenly, they get discontinued... now that's a sure bet to make those "cheap" stomp boxes appreciate in value. another way is to have a famous artist associate his sound with an unknown, cheap, discontinued stomp box,  that will certainly increase the value of that particular  unknown stomp box.

fat chance for boss pedals to appeciate. i wonder though, have you guys ever tried a discontinued boss pedal that sounded so good? i havent... i just tried out a boss CE3 chorus awhile ago, its made in japan and it has that mode where you choose between stereo and mono chorus. i dont like it. i think it deserved to be discontinued.

i also played DOD pedals ... and nothing really interested me or made me want to hunt down a rare discontinued DOD pedal. i love the DOD grunge and Death Metal pedals, and well, thanks to digitech, they are still around... so im not afraid that they will run out soon.

boston... now, if they get sued and discontinued, i think their value would appreciate a little... not that much to rival boss products, but maybe 20-30% appreciation perhaps.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:32:55 PM by IncX »