hulika

Author Topic: Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars  (Read 24966 times)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
My first Ibanez was a S model back in 1989 and at that time I thought that Ibanez as it is today looked great and was endorsed by really technical guitar dudes.  The bodies felt great.  The original Edge was on par with Floyd.  The guitar had dimarzio pickups.  I actually had at least half a dozen Signature Series that were made in Japan at one point.  I said to myself that I would continue to collect Ibanez guitars forever...

But it was not to be...

One of the worst sounding guitars in my collection turned out to be a JEM 777vwh (MIJ).  Ibanez started to make guitars in Korea.  Ibanez could not warranty the majority of its guitars on 10 gauge strings.  Ibanez started producing too many models AND too many thinner necks.  Ibanez was now and is mass market which for me is an astounding success at the expense of good sounding responsive guitars however.  As an aside, I think the audiophile guys are doing a good job at keeping the brand alive in the philippines with reasonable prices, multiple price points and yearly support in bringing new and varied models.

Since 1989, I have NOT found a good sounding and responsive Ibanez that meets my standards.  I felt that limited edition JS20 at the paco branch got close -- and almost there but comparatively too expensive and not on par with the high end American made guitars. 

I realized that the Ibanez formula is really more of looks and endorsement.  In a recent trip to singapore Swee Lee (both Sims Drive and Bras Basah branch), I had a chance to test a MIJ Herman Li (Bras Basah branch) which would retail at around P180k.  It basically sounded dead.  The USA made Charvel Warren Demartini with cross swords graphic had better workmanship and feel and retailed for P130k but was also dead sounding.  So on the second day,  I was in the shop (Sims Drive branch) trying out as many guitars as I can and was assisted by a salesman.  I asked him to bring out the best sounding guitars he had but he brought me all this high priced stuff that sounded like crap.  So I decided to pick and try out the Jackson neck thrus and I stumbled upon a great sounding Jackson Soloist neck through which retailed for only P63k.  So I decided to show the salesman what a great guitar sounded and responded like and I even let him play it himself and was floored.  To my surprise he brought me ANOTHER MIJ Herman Li (Sims Drive branch) for me to test AND again a dead sounding Herman Li.  I immediately told him but he was insisting that the Jackson had better pickups which were duncans.  But I disagreed. I had him AB the Herman Li against the Jackson that I had chosen and he immediately realized how superior that specific Jackson was in terms of sound and response.  He was suddenly sad.  He then told me that he had just payed for the Herman Li with terms.  But I told him that he could hear the difference in sound and response on the Jackson Soloist.  He shook his head and started making reasons to keep the Ibanez and insisted on the pickups but I said that its not in the pickups because I felt that the Dimarzios on the Herman Li were clearly superior and customized.  Next, he came up with another reason -- Herman Li was coming over and he needed to get the guitar signed.  I told him to have the guitar signed and to sell it to buy the Jackson.  Then another reason, the typical kanya-kanya lang iyan reason. So, I had him again AB and play himself the jackson versus the Herman Li and again the Jackson established itself as the superior instrument to which he agreed to.  After that, he just left.    I was shaking my head.  My day did not end with that experience at Sims Drive.  I actually tested other Ibanez and they all sounded dead -- even the new white Joe Satriani with a single coil sized pickup on the neck and the original edge back on (why the f*ck he endorsed the previous models with the newer edge is beyond me and revert back to the original edge is plain lack of guitar testing on Satch's part).  A dozen prestige sounded dead despite my expectations of the better neck construction today with 3 piece laminate.

On the other hand, one brand that I have seen which has continued to improve since the 70s and actually make better than they did in 1986 (this was the golden era of RGs and S guitar from Ibanez) is Fender USA.

Over the years, Fender has improved its quality and surprisingly can turn out good sounding and more responsive guitars than Ibanez.  Since Charvel USA was bought by Fender, I would definitely say that on the average they sound better than Ibanez and have the correct and more comfortable feel.  Of course, Ibanez guitars steel look prettier. 

Commercially, I would give an A to Ibanez for suriviving this long but sonically, I would say that they have not improved the past twenty years.  The John Suhr Modern which is a younger and influenced by the Ibanez RG is clearly superior in both sound, response and craftsmanship (which is of course kind of pricey).  From the get go, my suhr modern is one of the first five produced and already it surpassed expectations on twenty years of Ibanez super strat experience. 

P.S. The only reason I did not buy the Jackson Soloist was because it was made in Japan (it also had different thinner neck profile that ain't the original fat soloist).  When the right time comes, I want to pick a USA made Jackson Custom Shop neck thru in the shop.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
Re: Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:53:37 AM »
hi interesting insight, if i may say your thoughts would be better appreciated and given purpose if you send it to the contact information found on the link below

http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/hoshino_e/profiles/profiles01.html[/b]]http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/hoshino_e/profiles/profiles01.html

take care music friend

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »
hi interesting insight, if i may say your thoughts would be better appreciated and given purpose if you send it to the contact information found on the link below

http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/hoshino_e/profiles/profiles01.html[/b]]http://www.hoshinogakki.co.jp/hoshino_e/profiles/profiles01.html

take care music friend

Maski ipadala natin sa hoshino, it is commercially suicidal for them to stop selling guitars that do not sound good because they lose sales volume.  And if its one thing that has kept Ibanez alive thru crisis, is relatively higher volume than others.

Offline fourth_cycle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:16:34 AM »
sir meron po ba kayong video sa pagtugtug niyo ?just asking lng po!

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »
Maski ipadala natin sa hoshino, it is commercially suicidal for them to stop selling guitars that do not sound good because they lose sales volume.  And if its one thing that has kept Ibanez alive thru crisis, is relatively higher volume than others.

hi music friend, try calling them again so that there is value on your insights

other wise change the thread title to

My Rhetorical + 'Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars'

take care music friend

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:28:44 AM »
i agree to this thread... kahit gio pa lang ibanez ko, i found so much factory flaws after sometime of playing it.. im hoping to have a prestige in the near future... i wish to have it at its optimum/best quality. :)
Ibanez GRGA11 - Buskers Tele - Vox Pathfinder 15R - Maxon GX10

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:37:54 AM »
i agree to this thread... kahit gio pa lang ibanez ko, i found so much factory flaws after sometime of playing it.. im hoping to have a prestige in the near future... i wish to have it at its optimum/best quality. :)

when you bought a chinese made gio, you settled for price not the quality..it would be similar in picking up a chinese made squire strat pack and expecting it to be top notch
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 08:39:01 AM by bryanarzaga »

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:36 AM »
Also: one doesn't agree "to". One agrees "with".

But yes, Ibanez should up their game.
<3 Love is the absence of fear. Fear none. Love all. <3

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:51:54 AM »
when you bought a chinese made gio, you settled for price not the quality..it would be similar in picking up a chinese made squire strat pack and expecting it to be top notch

well, i dont expect it to be top notch. gios are mass produced.. also, priced less.. so i think, i get what i pay for.. im not pointing out to have their gios improve their quality.. but instead, what im trying to say is that, prestiges and other high end ibanezes are expected to have top notch experience and quality.. though mass produced, quality should be inscribed in it.. seeing people disappointed about ibanez guitars seem to bring me down because i look up to ibanez as a guitar maker..

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »
Also: one doesn't agree "to". One agrees "with".

keiz. im not so good with grammar.. want me to change it?

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 09:02:31 AM »
keiz. im not so good with grammar.. want me to change it?

Nasa sa'yo yan, kaibigan. Dehin tayo namimilit kundi namamahagi lang. Hindi lang naman ikaw ang gumagamit niyang "agree to", eh. Madami. Kaw bahala, kaibigan. :-)

Offline cayle

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 09:05:52 AM »
sir meron po ba kayong video sa pagtugtug niyo ?just asking lng po!

Replies like these often kill good discussions...

On topic. While I do like Ibanez guitars, I have to agree with firemodel_55 on this one, but only up to a certain point. Even if you contact IBanez, I doubt if they would respond. They've got one of the poorest customer supports, in my experience.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:07:41 AM by cayle »

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

the only way they will up their game is..when nobody buys their product to up their game..just like what happened to blackberry here..

well, i dont expect it to be top notch. gios are mass produced.. also, priced less.. so i think, i get what i pay for.. im not pointing out to have their gios improve their quality.. but instead, what im trying to say is that, prestiges and other high end ibanezes are expected to have top notch experience and quality.. though mass produced, quality should be inscribed in it.. seeing people disappointed about ibanez guitars seem to bring me down because i look up to ibanez as a guitar maker..

here's my personal view..the ibanez that i love and still own ended when they stop using the lo-pro edge..

ibanez doesnt make guitars(except for the LACS one), but to compare my j.custom(try one) to a 1570 prestige..quality is different as far as build goes, but the 1570 does have a good fretjob, but my preferred weight isnt there

Offline albumin

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »
Nasa sa'yo yan, kaibigan. Dehin tayo namimilit kundi namamahagi lang. Hindi lang naman ikaw ang gumagamit niyang "agree to", eh. Madami. Kaw bahala, kaibigan. :-)

ah... ganun ba? sorry ha. [grape] kasi ako eh.. 'di magaling sa gramatika gaya mo. di na.. di ko na lang papalitan... para tao pa rin ako... nagkakamali...

sorry mods. OT

here's my personal view..the ibanez that i love and still own ended when they stop using the lo-pro edge..

ibanez doesnt make guitars(except for the LACS one), but to compare my j.custom(try one) to a 1570 prestige..quality is different as far as build goes, but the 1570 does have a good fretjob, but my preferred weight isnt there

ahhh.. i have yet to try an ibanez j-custom and a prestige.. haven't held any yet. maybe i was too carried because of firemodel55's thought... maybe i should try them first before saying anything... oh well, pahiram ng mga gitara niyo sir bryan! haha!  :-D

Offline 6stringfella

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
Any production company that lasts long will also face competition from their older models. So not all attempts to innovate will be accepted.

This isn't the first time I heard complaints with high end ibby models, I've also tried a JS1600 but it felt and sounded funny. Pero yung JS20 was all there (nga lang pambili was not there).

I felt that the move back to the Edge vibrato system was to try and make the guitars more faithful to the actual endorsing player preferences, I think Satriani uses Edge on his guitars. In the same vein that the JEM7 was shifted from ebony fingerboard to rosewood (although mas visually contrasting yung darker ebony with the vine inlay). Although, lahat ng gitara ngayon back to Edge hahaha.

Perhaps we should also consider that player preferences also change. Kung S ang dating gitara ni sir firemodel tapos mas type nya ngayon ang jackson with a fatter neck, then hindi siya magiging happy with a new ibby kahit prestige model.

Offline aya_yuson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »
Pero oks yung mga hollowbody nila. Yung mga jazz box. For the price, oks.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »
ahhh.. i have yet to try an ibanez j-custom and a prestige.. haven't held any yet. maybe i was too carried because of firemodel55's thought... maybe i should try them first before saying anything... oh well, pahiram ng mga gitara niyo sir bryan! haha!  :-D

maybe on my next visit ill bring my bunker ibby and well let it be tested of course,

firemodel is correct on some points but that is only some..

ibanez never focused on thinner necks..i thought so too before..but having tried the export prestige versus their japan only j.customs just didnt make sense..why would the japanese only guitars have thicker necks than their export prestige? but it was a need by the players in usa, basically it was a trend..go to the official ibanez forum and look at the early saber MIJ versus MIK Saber prestige you'll have the purist saying hey its a baseball bat..but to me its thick and its comfy..it fits my needs just like my j.custom but most of them dont agree because they want a slimmer profile..so back to the point that ibanez focused on thinner necks is only for a few models..

to give it a timeline(RG series or saber) the necks actually grew thicker as it moved from MIJ - MIK - MII - MIC(gio)

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:57 AM »
Any production company that lasts long will also face competition from their older models. So not all attempts to innovate will be accepted.

This isn't the first time I heard complaints with high end ibby models, I've also tried a JS1600 but it felt and sounded funny. Pero yung JS20 was all there (nga lang pambili was not there).

I felt that the move back to the Edge vibrato system was to try and make the guitars more faithful to the actual endorsing player preferences, I think Satriani uses Edge on his guitars. In the same vein that the JEM7 was shifted from ebony fingerboard to rosewood (although mas visually contrasting yung darker ebony with the vine inlay). Although, lahat ng gitara ngayon back to Edge hahaha.

Perhaps we should also consider that player preferences also change. Kung S ang dating gitara ni sir firemodel tapos mas type nya ngayon ang jackson with a fatter neck, then hindi siya magiging happy with a new ibby kahit prestige model.

I have no problems playing necks.  My JEM had a u neck.  But the suhr necks beats ALL Ibanez necks in my opinion.  It plays faster and feels better than any Ibanez shred neck.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 10:02:49 AM »
maybe on my next visit ill bring my bunker ibby and well let it be tested of course,

ibanez never focused on thinner necks..i thought so too before..but having tried the export prestige versus their japan only j.customs just didnt make sense..why would the japanese only guitars have thicker necks than their export prestige? but it was a need by the players in usa, basically it was a trend..go to the official ibanez forum and look at the early saber MIJ versus MIK Saber prestige you'll have the purist saying hey its a baseball bat..but to me its thick and its comfy..it fits my needs just like my j.custom but most of them dont agree because they want a slimmer profile..so back to the point that ibanez focused on thinner necks is only for a few models..

to give it a timeline(RG series or saber) the necks actually grew thicker as it moved from MIJ - MIK - MII - MIC(gio)

Let me clarify, as far as thinner necks go -- in my opinion the thinner Ibanez neck seems to detract from better sound and response and less durable specially on tens.  In terms of exceptions, I can play on a thin neck on a guitar if its a more responsive guitar and correspondingly I cannot play on a dead sounding guitar with a Warmoth Boat Neck.  At some point or threshold, you can only do so much neck thinning before it ruins response.  I am willing to bet there can be no great sounding guitar with a wooden neck as thin as paper.

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »

but your thread is Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 10:10:12 AM »

Just a reckless dare... I think the JS20 located in PACO Audiophile will sound better than the bunker Ibanez guitars.  I for one believe that it is hard to make laminated maple tops responsive versus the JS20 plastic Silver Surfer -- heh heh.

Offline firemodel55

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 10:12:25 AM »
but your thread is Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars

Its a Call out and hopefully, Ibanez and Audiophile do the listening.  Heh Heh.  I never said I would physically call them by phone.  I don't love them enough to make that effort.  And besides the Ibanez people will say that their stuff is more affordable then Suhr and that I am not the target market.

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:09 AM »
Let me clarify, as far as thinner necks go -- in my opinion the thinner Ibanez neck seems to detract from better sound and response and less durable specially on tens.  In terms of exceptions, I can play on a thin neck on a guitar if its a more responsive guitar and correspondingly I cannot play on a dead sounding guitar with a Warmoth Boat Neck.  At some point or threshold, you can only do so much neck thinning before it ruins response.  I am willing to bet there can be no great sounding guitar with a wooden neck as thin as paper.

before we go from overall build to guitar playing..what is a guitars' response for you?

I have no problems playing necks.  My JEM had a u neck. But the suhr necks beats ALL Ibanez necks in my opinion.  It plays faster and feels better than any Ibanez shred neck.

we had such a good start on this thread but it became My Rhetorical Call Out to Ibanez to improve their Guitars

another Suhr vs Ibanez RG/S/Prestige thread..

Offline bryanarzaga

• Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 10:14:53 AM »
And besides the Ibanez people will say that their stuff is more affordable then Suhr and that I am not the target market.

*than

you dont have to worry about that the RASMUS line is out..

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:02 AM »
Its a Call out and hopefully, Ibanez and Audiophile do the listening.  Heh Heh.  I never said I would physically call them by phone.  I don't love them enough to make that effort.  And besides the Ibanez people will say that their stuff is more affordable then Suhr and that I am not the target market.

i think audiophile cant do anything about that. if its only one country who will be doing the callout, i think they would not listen. as you said, they will lose valuable sales to people who choose their guitars by brand.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones