hulika

Author Topic: Who should you play with?  (Read 2604 times)

Offline ebacoids

Who should you play with?
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:02:07 PM »
Here's a question to all my fellow guitarists and musicians: okay lang ba na mapili ka sa kung sino ma kaka tugtog mo? okay lang ba tumanggi/magquit ng band kung di naman magaling ang mga kabanda mo? I know that talent and great playing is subjective to the person listening, pero kung feel mo naman di ka mag ggrow as a musician or ma encourage to be better, kailangan pa bang mag stay in that environment?

This is open to all, even non-guitarists, so kung mali ako ng thread okay lang na ilipat.

commence discussion :)

Offline Crisul

Re: Who should you play with?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:33:33 PM »
Oo alis na kesa pilitin mo sarili mo. Parang sa magkasintahan o mag-asawa. Kung wala na talaga e, mabuti pa maghiwalay kesa mas mahihirapan pag magsama pa.

Pero sa huli nasa sa iyo pa rin ang desisyon

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
Here's a question to all my fellow guitarists and musicians: okay lang ba na mapili ka sa kung sino ma kaka tugtog mo?

Definitely.

okay lang ba tumanggi/magquit ng band kung di naman magaling ang mga kabanda mo?

It depends. If you're still starting out, then it's just a matter of improving.

I know that talent and great playing is subjective to the person listening, pero kung feel mo naman di ka mag ggrow as a musician or ma encourage to be better, kailangan pa bang mag stay in that environment?

If you feel that you won't grow as a musician, then by all means, leave.

I transferred the topic btw since this is open to everyone. :-)
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline ebacoids

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:59 PM »
i see sir. how bout if you're all equally good but you don't feel anymore that its the music you want to play? like you want to explore more opportunities. OR what if you feel like you can't express yourself properly and creatively by being constrained by the band? This question goes out especially to the showbands, sessionistas, mga nag babarko etc.

Offline Gunslinger

• Tony Stark
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 11:42:37 PM »
I'm not in a showband or anything you mentioned, but what I think about those bands is their primary goal is to earn money. They sacrifice what they love to play, and play what the people want to hear - like a danceable tune.. say for a "matured" crowd. Di naman sila nagcocompose ng original songs nila to be played and be heard by the public diba? It's more of what's popular or what's "in". One time I had this conversation with a guitarist who played for a convention in a hotel. Long story short, he was playing for money. His exact words were:

"Yan ang namimiss ko eh. Mabibigat na tugtugan. Kaso kelangan ng pera kaya eto.. ganito tinutugtog ko."

If sessionista ka naman, wala ka magagawa. Kaya nga session ka eh. You're there to fill-in. You cannot call it "being constrained" since you won't be playing with the band permanently.
Play   Guitar   To  Express..   Not   To   Impress.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
i see sir. how bout if you're all equally good but you don't feel anymore that its the music you want to play? like you want to explore more opportunities. OR what if you feel like you can't express yourself properly and creatively by being constrained by the band? This question goes out especially to the showbands, sessionistas, mga nag babarko etc.

For all those you mentioned, it's musicianship as work, and primarily so. You're there to earn money by using your skills in a job that is available. This is most especially true for session musicians because you have to be an excellent instrumentalist, and you must be willing to do any style required for the job. If you feel constrained as a musician, you can quit, but these types of musicianship being actual day jobs, it's gonna be both quitting a job in exchange for finding a new job and a new hobby/passion. It's gonna be hard to change the band internally because the band is a sort of service provider, and you only get gigs because they know what to expect of you. If you try anything too different from your "main product" people will want their money back, and you'll lose your job.
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline ron_rd57

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 02:22:37 AM »
One time I had this conversation with a guitarist who played for a convention in a hotel. Long story short, he was playing for money. His exact words were:
"Yan ang namimiss ko eh. Mabibigat na tugtugan. Kaso kelangan ng pera kaya eto.. ganito tinutugtog ko."

Its sad to hear musicians resorting to playing to cover songs for earning money,
instead of creating and composing original music..
but playing in a showband is also rewarding I think, you will be able to explore and play different styles of music..
but then again I believe to be able to succeed in a certain field, you must have focus..
to play in a showband is also the same in playing in an original both requires dedication and perseverance..

Of course if you are in an showband you need to be picky of who you play with, because you are paid every night to
play different kinds of music, the ones the crowd wants to hear in a certain venue..
playing with musicians that can learn songs easily is the ones you should team up and play with

But playing for either a showband or original band, the quality and attitude you should look to in a person whom you gonna play with,
is those who have dedication and passion to persevere in music..