hulika

Author Topic: Wolfgang: Villains (A very late Review)  (Read 3509 times)

Offline jc

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Wolfgang: Villains (A very late Review)
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:30:50 PM »
I have forgotten about Wolfgang ever since they released "Black Mantra" a year or so ago. However, it all changed when some sort of divine intervention  :evil: intervened yesterday. It took me some time to get into the hard rock of Wolfgang since I haven't been listening to hard rock or radio for quite some time now.

On to the review:

The tracks are dominated by Manuel Legarda's guitars; Mon Legaspi's basslines falls to the back mixing seat as usual; no comment on Wolf Gemora's drumming; Basti Artadi still sounds like Basti Artadi. Overall, none of the tracks' playing makes me do the "I'm not worthy" move. Manuel Legarda's guitar solos on this album also pale in comparison to his previous efforts. In addition to that there wasn't a lot of memorable, unconscious headbang-inducing riffs with the exception of "Novus is Burning". Then again, all the good riffs are already taken. Fortunately, Basti Artadi's vocals are still as strong as ever albeit his voice having settled on the high side since the Serve in Silence album.

Lokomotiv's (Basti Artadi days) old school rock seems to have been a big influence to most of the songs in Villains. Personally this isn't a bad thing but I prefer their progression from "Wolfgang" to "Semenelin" to "Wurm". Three albums each having a different feel. All of those outstanding. I'm probably just one of the few folks who didn't appreciate that "Garage Days" vibe of "Villains". However, the strongest songs on the album are the ones that give off that particular vibe.

*s are my rating for the songs in the "Villains" album compared to one another and not my own adulterated judgement. Ratings are my personal critiques. 5 *s is the maximum.

RP Deathsquad - ***
Diaspora Mama - **
NME - *****
John of the Cross - *****
Kung Gusto Mo Pa - **
Ibrahim - ***
Soap - ***
The Shaft - **
Novus is Burning - *****
Ladies and Gentlemen - filler track (?)

Overall Rating (for a Wolfgang album): ***

Favorite Tracks: NME, John of the Cross, Novus is Burning,

*Just a bit of trivia. There's a bridge change from their rough demo of "John of the Cross". It sticks out like a sore thumb if you heard the demo first.

As a closing. Even though I didn't make a positive review of this album, I'm first and foremost a Wolfgang fan so I wouldn't trade "Villains" for the stuff those countless poser bands are spewing.

Offline smutdrummer

• Veteran Member
Re: Wolfgang: Villains (A very late Review)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
my favorite wolfgang album to date, never get out of my player since ive heard it last decembers black christmas project, when it was released.
its not semenelin or serve in silence but its still aggressive as "wolfgang".

guitars - riff heavy album, maybe less lead works from previous one, but this one got the tastiest riffs.
bass - mas rinig bass dito lalo na pag sa car stereo mo pinakinggan, ang lutong!!!
drums - drumming is more lively and more head bangin.
vocals - still sounds very basti :) totally the best vocals ive hear in my opinion.

RP Deathsquad - Damn very good riffing
Diaspora Mama - 6 out 5 stars especially the ending part
NME now thats a very good song, papapapapapapa :)
John of the Cross - bassline shines here, riff lheavy song
Kung Gusto Mo Pa - 3
Ibrahim - very strong track
Soap - 4
The Shaft - hardrocking track, simple and in your face, love the kabit kabit parts :)
Novus is Burning - burning wolfgang tracks, a current fave from the album
Ladies and Gentlemen - i can listen to this everyday, lalo na pggising sa umaga :)

sum it all up, this got me headbangin for hours and i could listen to this one the whole day as my background work music to keep me alive and awake during grave shifts. every songs stucks like glue. let it grow and youll love it. currently goes on top of my list for wolfgang albums.

Offline mhayce08

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
astig toh!
Basta Metal Bakal™

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:03 AM »
..no comment on Wolf Gemora's drumming..

Diba si Francis Aquino na yung Drummer dito?  :-D

BTT: Wala akong masasabi sa Album na to. Wala paring kupas Wolfgang. Astig! :evil: Ang problema ko lang yung "Mastering" Masyadong compressed (loudness war), nawala yung dynamics ng music. Ang sakit sa tenga pag pinapakinggan ko lalo na sa ipod. parang nag aarawan ng space yung mga instrumento. Kumbaga sa tao, halos hindi na sila makahinga. Pero yung mismong mga kanta/music. Galing talaga. Walang tapon.  :evil:

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline inot1105

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
i agree mostly on jc's review...
not much songs to give that strong punch... but nonetheless, i'm also a wolfgang fan. & this album is still a keeper.
Also, Francis Aquino did the drums for this album. And his energy is very much evident if i may say so myself.

However, for me, if some songs aren't much cool thru the album, i sometimes appreciate it more hearing it live.
I hope to catch a concert of the wolves this coming Christmas vacation diyan.... sana, kung meron.

great review by the way jc.
sorry for this very late reply also.

rak en roll
br & God bless

I have forgotten about Wolfgang ever since they released "Black Mantra" a year or so ago. However, it all changed when some sort of divine intervention  :evil: intervened yesterday. It took me some time to get into the hard rock of Wolfgang since I haven't been listening to hard rock or radio for quite some time now.

On to the review:

The tracks are dominated by Manuel Legarda's guitars; Mon Legaspi's basslines falls to the back mixing seat as usual; no comment on Wolf Gemora's drumming; Basti Artadi still sounds like Basti Artadi. Overall, none of the tracks' playing makes me do the "I'm not worthy" move. Manuel Legarda's guitar solos on this album also pale in comparison to his previous efforts. In addition to that there wasn't a lot of memorable, unconscious headbang-inducing riffs with the exception of "Novus is Burning". Then again, all the good riffs are already taken. Fortunately, Basti Artadi's vocals are still as strong as ever albeit his voice having settled on the high side since the Serve in Silence album.

Lokomotiv's (Basti Artadi days) old school rock seems to have been a big influence to most of the songs in Villains. Personally this isn't a bad thing but I prefer their progression from "Wolfgang" to "Semenelin" to "Wurm". Three albums each having a different feel. All of those outstanding. I'm probably just one of the few folks who didn't appreciate that "Garage Days" vibe of "Villains". However, the strongest songs on the album are the ones that give off that particular vibe.

*s are my rating for the songs in the "Villains" album compared to one another and not my own adulterated judgement. Ratings are my personal critiques. 5 *s is the maximum.

RP Deathsquad - ***
Diaspora Mama - **
NME - *****
John of the Cross - *****
Kung Gusto Mo Pa - **
Ibrahim - ***
Soap - ***
The Shaft - **
Novus is Burning - *****
Ladies and Gentlemen - filler track (?)

Overall Rating (for a Wolfgang album): ***

Favorite Tracks: NME, John of the Cross, Novus is Burning,

*Just a bit of trivia. There's a bridge change from their rough demo of "John of the Cross". It sticks out like a sore thumb if you heard the demo first.

As a closing. Even though I didn't make a positive review of this album, I'm first and foremost a Wolfgang fan so I wouldn't trade "Villains" for the stuff those countless poser bands are spewing.
1 Corinthians 3:19
For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their own craftiness”;

Offline impailer

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:05:20 AM »
Hi, I was wondering if you guys have a spare copy of any of the early Wolfgang albums?  I'm really having a hard time finding one nowadays... :cry: If by any chance you guys have a spare copy and you're willing sell or trade them, I'm willing to buy it at a very good reasonable price. :-)

For faster transaction, please feel free to call or text me at 0922-7448184.

Thanks and happy holidays to all!

Cheers! :wave:

Online silverbolt1097

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Ako meron bro. Complete from Wolfgang to Villains. MP3 nga lang lahat.

PM if interested.

Thanks.

Happy New Year  :)
I am the dark side of you

Offline yekoz

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 10:27:05 AM »
Yes WOLFGANG fanatic here, watch their live show but they did not play JOTC  :-\

Here is the remarks of Sir Manuel Legarda:

This was posted MARCH 6 2010: maybe we could sir Manuel for any updates of the new album.

To the guy asking about tones on JOTCross, I used my Lp, i think, into the coconut's octave and into a peavey classic 20 and possibly the boogie dc5 as well.  Sorry I'm not too specific.  I don't have fixed settings when I record.  I always fiddle with the knobs/buttons until I get something I think will work.
At the moment I'm in the writing mode with Mon and Francis.  We are working on riffs and ideas for the next album which might be all tagalog this time since we've never done that.  So far I feel that the sessions have been promising...abangan.

Enjoy... :)

Online silverbolt1097

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:04:38 AM »
I will definitely wait for their next album as well as their concerts, kahit ako na lang magisa ang pumunta.
I am the dark side of you

Offline heyman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
i like wolfgang but im more into Razorback and POT. parang nawala yung power ng wolfgang kasi nowadays lalo narinig ko yung album na bago. may malaking contributuion kasi si wolf sa band talaga in terms of composing
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:44:50 AM by heyman »
yada yada yada.....