hulika

Author Topic: tube amp problem... help!  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Meio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
tube amp problem... help!
« on: June 04, 2010, 01:40:43 AM »
hi! i own a vox valvetronix ad50vt-xl na tube amp. ive been using this amp for a year pa lang and its already started making this horrible digital squeal/squeak na nakakarindi at high volume.

i have a feeling na the tubes needs replacing na. please clarify?  :?  :?

and if ever san ba nakakabili ng amp parts dito sa pinas?  :?  :?

Chito

Re: tube amp problem... help!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:55 AM »
Don't mean to disappoint you but the valvetronix amps are not exactly tube amps but rather a hybrid, in essence, a solid state amp that has a 12ax7 somewhere in the circuit.

Here is an explanation "the Valvetronix amps use a 12AX7 tube (commonly used as a preamp tube in a tube amp) run at the correct specified plate and heater voltages, then coupled it with an actual output transformer prior to sending the final signal to a solid-state amplifier".

I guess that doesn't answer why you're amp is making all that noise. I suggest bringing it to an amp tech. I honestly don't think replacing that single 12ax7 is going to make the noise go away.

Offline Meio

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:49:55 AM »
Thanks for the insight, sir!

I have absolutely no idea on what to do with this and the amp's virtually unusable at anything past 12 o' clock volume. I will probably bring this to a tech this weekend for diagnosis...  :-D

Offline BAMF

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
Thanks for the insight, sir!

I have absolutely no idea on what to do with this and the amp's virtually unusable at anything past 12 o' clock volume. I will probably bring this to a tech this weekend for diagnosis...  :-D

Ummm. I repaired a Marshall Valvestate with exactly that symptom. I just replaced the 12ax7 which was already microphonic. Problem solved.
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline colorless krayola

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 05:16:20 AM »
Buy a new one. At my signature. JK  :-D

Bring it to him (BAMF).
If that 12ax7 is already microphonic as BAMF says, then it will make feedbacks.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 05:17:59 AM by colorless krayola »
I don't know how to play, I just spread my emotions into the fretboard.

Offline stringman

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 05:20:07 AM »
If you know how to DIY, you can get Chinese made tubes at Deeco Raon it's around 150 bucks I think. Won't cost you much to make that test.
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones.

Offline siore

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 05:35:03 AM »
If you know how to DIY, you can get Chinese made tubes at Deeco Raon it's around 150 bucks I think. Won't cost you much to make that test.
P300 for the national brand 12ax7.  But that tube distorts rather easily, I'm not sure if that's a good match for the 12ax7 it's replacing.  Audiophile also has some pre-amp tubes, as well as kinetic audio in robinsons pioneer.  Suggest you go to both and shop for tubes, bili ka na rin ng spares mo.
soundclick.com/siore
youtube.com/user/siore

Offline pitongjerome

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 08:44:54 AM »

300 po ang nationals sa deeco.. unless may iba pang brand dun?
I have stated that there are more bad sounding suhrs then there are good ones