hulika

Author Topic: Christian Blues? Are there such artists?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline ice.lacsina

Christian Blues? Are there such artists?
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:40:03 PM »
I'm looking for new inspiration and influences for my guitar improvement. Then i wonder... does Christian blues music exist? Could you please share some if you know such? thanks. Links to music downloads are gladly appreciated too. :-)

Offline ganjie

Re: Christian Blues? Are there such artists?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:16:19 PM »
Glenn Kaiser, Darrel Mansfield and blind Willie Johnson are the one's i know of....

these artists were recommended by my missionary friend about a few years ago and have been a big source of inspiration to me ever since..

hope this helps..

Godbless.

EDIT: check this site www.grrrrecords.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:18:35 PM by ganjie »
... pain is a purifier and suffering builds character ...
... Jesus Rocks! ...

Offline joshnerez

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:46:17 PM »
hmm...i dunno if Phil Keaggy is considered as a jazz artist but his influences show in his playing though..
"It is not great men who changes the world, but weak men in the hands of a great God."

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:54:24 PM »
yeah. true about phil keaggy. but he's on jazz. what i look for are those blues artist that sound like SRV or Jimi.
@ ganjie, thanks im now looking for their songs on the web. :-)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »
Glenn Kaiser, Darrel Mansfield and blind Willie Johnson are the one's i know of....

these artists were recommended by my missionary friend about a few years ago and have been a big source of inspiration to me ever since..

hope this helps..

Godbless.

EDIT: check this site www.grrrrecords.com

Since the term "Chrisitan" connotes a unique meaning it does today (Christian as in "born again"... tama ba?), I'm not sure if Blind Willie Johnson was actually a Christian.  But he certainly was religious and played traditional black spirituals/gospel.  He's the best at it, IMO.  But there a lot of other great 'guitar evangelists':  Mississippi Fred McDowell, Blind Joe Taggart, Blind Joe Reynolds, Reverend Gary Davis, Sister O.M. Terrell, Two Gospel Keys, Blind Mamie Forehand, Reverend Edward Clayborn, etc.

I love this stuff. :-)

Offline bluejem

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 07:26:25 PM »
I think Tommy Walker plays the blues or Tommy Emmanuel.Well 1 of my favorites is Paul jackson Jr,He can almost anything. :-D
\"My philosophy is: if the product is right, the price is right and you treat your customers the way you want to be treated, the word-of-mouth is faster than <br />the speed of sound!\"<br />(Words from Bill Lawrence)

Offline jazhombie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 05:21:51 PM »
I think Tommy Walker plays the blues or Tommy Emmanuel.Well 1 of my favorites is Paul jackson Jr,He can almost anything. :-D
+1000 kay tommy emmanuel... i like his style, lalo n sa acouctic guitar, very uncanny :-D

Offline ice.lacsina

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 09:20:56 PM »
@sir deltaslim:

i should've asked you in the first place! hehe. thanks!

i forgot to mention, i'm looking for instrumentals. :? :?
icant sing with a big black bluesy voice like these artists do. :-D

Offline Lahed92801

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 02:01:13 AM »
Haha, si Johnny Lang, may gospel-ish and bluesy na parang god related songs yataa