hulika

Author Topic: Akira Jimbo or El Negro?  (Read 1385 times)

Offline toybitz

Akira Jimbo or El Negro?
« on: October 13, 2007, 10:50:30 AM »
so who was first to come up with the left foot clave?

I saw Akira's drum vid long before Horacio started playing on those MD Festivals.

I know it was Walfredo Reyes Sr. who pioneered a hybrid of latin drumset and playing...or was it Steve Gadd who pioneered fusion rock/latin/jazz drumming?

:?
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: Akira Jimbo or El Negro?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »
sir its chakito who introduced latin/afro cuban playing. :-)...personally i like horacio's clave more, iba kasi talaga ang field nila dalawa sir, haracio is more focused on afro-cuban playing while jimbo is more focused on drum modulation and triggering.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
When it comes to Latin and Afro-Cuban stuff, El Negro is the real deal.  As far as I know, he grew up in Cuba, so it's no surprise that he's a natural when it comes to that style of music.  The way he fused improvisational jazz with his native Latin rhythms, it's just phenomenal.  Even his drumset rhythms alone can start a hot dance party.  Masarap ang feel ni El Negro.  I remember Koko calling him "Inspector Clave" because of that crazy left-foot clave footwork.

I see Akira Jimbo as more of an all-around artist who is more into electronics and has a strong sense of limb independence.  No doubt, the Japanese master can really play, and he's no slouch as well when it comes to Latin-inspired grooves.

And yes, they both have that left-foot independence thing going.  Mga hayup!  8-)

Offline toybitz

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 10:29:57 PM »
sir its chakito who introduced latin/afro cuban playing. :-)...personally i like horacio's clave more, iba kasi talaga ang field nila dalawa sir, haracio is more focused on afro-cuban playing while jimbo is more focused on drum modulation and triggering.

When it comes to Latin and Afro-Cuban stuff, El Negro is the real deal.  As far as I know, he grew up in Cuba, so it's no surprise that he's a natural when it comes to that style of music.  The way he fused improvisational jazz with his native Latin rhythms, it's just phenomenal.  Even his drumset rhythms alone can start a hot dance party.  Masarap ang feel ni El Negro.  I remember Koko calling him "Inspector Clave" because of that crazy left-foot clave footwork.

I see Akira Jimbo as more of an all-around artist who is more into electronics and has a strong sense of limb independence.  No doubt, the Japanese master can really play, and he's no slouch as well when it comes to Latin-inspired grooves.

And yes, they both have that left-foot independence thing going.  Mga hayup!  8-)

exactly my same sentiments! hanep si Horacio. he's so technical, fast and musical...haay...kakainggit!

natuwa ako Akira. for someone Japanese to promote the left foot clave in his video.

natuwa din ako kay Sir Koko Bermejo nun clinic nila sa Freedom Bar ni Sir Mar...

...hayop talaga si Horacio. sayang, wala akong makuhang DVD format nun '97 MD Festival niya.
Tele bought 20K. Upgraded pots.  FS: 30K  Trade Value BS: 85K.  Deal tayo?

Offline kibohead

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »
ang lupit din sir ng drum and bass collective nila...horacio and patitucci. galing!