hulika

Author Topic: PhilMusic's Frequent Downtime *merged*  (Read 25024 times)

Offline jmreyes

• Forum Fanatic
PhilMusic's Frequent Downtime *merged*
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:17 PM »
I dunno if its just me but why is philmusic frequently inaccessible?  :?
LF: Mojo

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Forum frequently down
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 09:18:21 PM »
i have 3 separate 8mbps connections in 3 different computers in 3 different houses and i get the same issue only with talk.philmusic.com (all other websites loads up in a jiff) so this means the problem is not on my side and is most certainly with the website.

i've chatted with other members as well and we are all experiencing the same thing every now and then. probably due to high traffic of peeps logged in. the server is probably over its limit. is this site signed up for a business account or just a home account? coz chances are if the website owner(s)' internet account is not of business account type, their internet provider could be limiting connections.

I really dunno coz I'm not really tech savvy so it sure would be great if some of the site's authority would be able to shed some light.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Offline fred

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:04:43 AM »
Same case here.
Singapore Tours start at US$ 130 per person
for 3 Days and 2 Nights until Dec. 2013.  Hong-Kong Tours start at US$98 per person. PM me please. =)

Offline Agent_So

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 05:54:31 PM »
admins, i think we deserve an explanation......
Solemn Harmony Studio
Blk-1, Lot-7, Diamond St., Silverhomes Classic, Perpetual Village 7, Bacoor, Cavite. CELL: 0915-492-2800 (Premier,Peavey,Hartke,Mackie,JBL,Shure,DBX,Zoom)

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 06:08:06 PM »
WTF? Getting a little demanding aren't we agent so? Next thing we know you'll be demanding a refund.

I have a bone to pick with demanding, whining users and I'll be releasing an editorial soon. Its not like you pay anything to access my service which I pay the bills for and provide for free. If the system goes down and I'm not online to restart the server because I'm off living an offline life (heaven forbid) or working (gasp), then tough, please bother some other board. When its down and I see its down , I restart the system. If I don't see it down, then obviously it stays down. Running this board is an enjoyable (most of the time) hobby, not a job.

I don't deserve to be demanded an explanation. If you have a problem with that, then tough.

The forum gets down when traffic goes way up (over 300 online) and system resources utilized exceeds 90%. I've seen this happen on some other high traffic sites, in which case I restart the web service and everything is fine. This is a lot easier to do on this new system. On the old system, you'd just see that "Forbidden" message haunting you.

Obviously I don't like that it goes down, and chette and I would like to spend a few hours investigating and tweaking the server but until this board becomes a mission critical application instead of our personal playground that we allow you to visit and play in, then we'd rather give priority to other things.

rant off.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:11:52 PM by JimAyson »
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 06:19:13 PM »
i have 3 separate 8mbps connections in 3 different computers in 3 different houses and i get the same issue only with talk.philmusic.com (all other websites loads up in a jiff) so this means the problem is not on my side and is most certainly with the website.

i've chatted with other members as well and we are all experiencing the same thing every now and then. probably due to high traffic of peeps logged in. the server is probably over its limit. is this site signed up for a business account or just a home account? coz chances are if the website owner(s)' internet account is not of business account type, their internet provider could be limiting connections.

I really dunno coz I'm not really tech savvy so it sure would be great if some of the site's authority would be able to shed some light.

Well for the record, its a virtual server account. It runs off a commercial web hosting company.

The site's success brings its own bag of problems.

Its not just the number of simultaneous visitors that contributes to the resource utilization, its also the number of threads being opened and written to and viewed. Unfortunately there are some threads that are just a complete resource hog and don't really add to spreading information about musicians and by musicians.

Take a look at the Anything Goes section. Lots of resource-chewing threads there of the utterly useless variety. "I'm Going to be last"  most especially. If you want to help this board lets avoid starting those type of threads - if not at one point I may have no choice but to shut down certain areas to keep the board going.

Offline drumster

• Board Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:38:43 PM »
Its not just the number of simultaneous visitors that contributes to the resource utilization, its also the number of threads being opened and written to and viewed. Unfortunately there are some threads that are just a complete resource hog and don't really add to spreading information about musicians and by musicians.

Take a look at the Anything Goes section. Lots of resource-chewing threads there of the utterly useless variety. "I'm Going to be last"  most especially. If you want to help this board lets avoid starting those type of threads - if not at one point I may have no choice but to shut down certain areas to keep the board going.

I agree with you, Jim!  Great response!   I always thought that Philmusic.com is a useful, credible and intelligent Forum for us musicians.  How I wish that there wouldn't be any more irrelevant topics.  And I hope some members can limit their posting of pointless topics and one-liners just for the sake of quickly becoming a Philmusicus Addictus.  Quality, guys!!  Not quantity!  Sorry sa mga matatamaan.

Regarding the website going down frequently...  I just try to understand that the site has been recently upgraded, so problems like this could happen.  I'm not computer tech-savvy either, but I understand that you Admins are doing whatever's necessary to keep this site up and running.  We are in no position to demand or complain.  In fact, we owe you a lot Jim.  Philmusic.com wouldn't be around without you.  Thanks Admin, and keep up the great work. 
  8-)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:57:53 PM by drumster »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:51:06 PM »
Agent_So,

That post was uncalled for and Jim is right. If any, you should be thankful that the site serves your needs. I'm reminded of when I used to work with a telephone company. Our lament was always that we would only be remembered when the lines are down or service is interrupted for unforeseen reasons. But when service goes on unabated regardless of whether there was a major natural calamity, no one even bothers to give us the time of day.

Think about that...
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 06:57:24 PM »
And how weird is it that I now work for a phone company? Thank God I have nothing to do with customer support hehehe

Offline Direk

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
guy's, let share the bulk of heftyness from the admins who keeps the site running (THANK YOU, guys). do our share by keeping our post short (ouch!...unless it really need the beef to explain it), sensible and highly beneficial to the advancement of PhilMusic. were family of this site now, lets HELP OUR SITE then!       

Offline Direk

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 07:09:54 PM »
And how weird is it that I now work for a phone company? Thank God I have nothing to do with customer support hehehe

i agree, but safe no more from pesky user like (us) in this site... hehehe too!

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 08:18:59 PM »
is it the server or the backend program that is causing the downtime of the site? theres alot of other backend application that is more suitable for the growing population of Philmusic.

To Admins... im suggesting innovision its also php based application for boards/forums its been used by other forum sites and they had no problems with it...

PEACE!!!
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 01:22:06 PM »
is it the server or the backend program that is causing the downtime of the site? theres alot of other backend application that is more suitable for the growing population of Philmusic.

To Admins... im suggesting innovision its also php based application for boards/forums its been used by other forum sites and they had no problems with it...

"the server or the background program"... hmmm well the server platform looks pretty robust based on the specs (it's Linux, yay!) , and the "backend program" I am assuming you are referring to the application, rather than the pretty standard database platform (php scripts, MySQL) that powers up most Internet sites.

I don't think Innovision will solve anything - or  Vbulletin. Nor do chette and I have time to for another backbreaking migration again as we do both have pretty hectic jobs. PhilMusic I like to remind people - is not "a job", though sometimes our users make us think it is.  So if we want continuous operation, we'll use the current setup, and maybe ask a sysad friend of ours to analyze how we've set up the server.

If we were to do this seriously, I'd shut down the site, go on Christmas holiday for a month, and take the downtime to leisurely decide what platform/server setup and new features to implement.

But I know this would cause everyone to experience massive withdrawal symptoms, so life goes on.

:)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 01:28:28 PM by JimAyson »

Offline Jim Ayson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2006, 01:25:12 PM »
guy's, let share the bulk of heftyness from the admins who keeps the site running (THANK YOU, guys). do our share by keeping our post short (ouch!...unless it really need the beef to explain it), sensible and highly beneficial to the advancement of PhilMusic. were family of this site now, lets HELP OUR SITE then!       

Long posts have nothing to do with it.. in fact the long posts in our musician oriented forums on gear, techniques, music theory are very valuable in terms of spreading knowledge.

It's the useless one-liner posts that are posted for the sake of posting or increasing post counts that I have a problem with. They may be short but each of those is counted as an individual system transaction and database record and carries it own impact on server resources. "Anything Goes" is running out of control with these type of useless threads.

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 01:26:14 PM »

You should be so lucky... I was with Metro Manila Operations.  :|
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline Direk

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »
If we were to do this seriously, I'd shut down the site, go on Christmas holiday for a month

you and chette, share your blessing on this Christmas...PLEASE keep the site running.   

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 02:06:52 PM »
If we were to do this seriously, I'd shut down the site, go on Christmas holiday for a month

you and chette, share your blessing on this Christmas...PLEASE keep the site running.   

Di pa nagshu-shutdown, nagumpisa na withdrawal symptoms in Direk!  :-D

Offline MikEh

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 02:15:25 PM »
i have to admit, nakaka-inis yung frequent downtimes ng board.

but i am really superdupermegavery thankful to all the mods and admins running the show and keeping things alive.

i hope this problem gets solved sooner, para masaya lahat ng tao. :-D

Offline TheEdge

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 02:36:39 PM »

para malaman mo kung sa server side ng philmusic or your side visit mo tung website na ito http://www.alertra.com/ then type mo philmusic.com pag mga errors ang nakalagay then server side ng philmusic.com pero kung wala error means nasayo ang problem.
You won't get what you expect, You get what you deserve

Offline Direk

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 02:41:59 PM »
Di pa nagshu-shutdown, nagumpisa na withdrawal symptoms in Direk!  :-D

hahahaha..obvious yata talaga, napansin ng pulis! men, tinitiis ko na nga yung long waiting time na me lumabas sa site at para ako naman makapasok, then shutdown? mabigat!   :lol:

Offline BAMF

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 02:52:01 PM »
WTF? Getting a little demanding aren't we agent so? Next thing we know you'll be demanding a refund.

I have a bone to pick with demanding, whining users and I'll be releasing an editorial soon. Its not like you pay anything to access my service which I pay the bills for and provide for free.

Hehehe. The bible said "ask and you shall receive". I think it actually meant "Ask nicely and you shall receive" :D :D :D
Doghouse Recording Studio: http://doghousestudio.webs.com
Cel: 09282843633

Offline cosine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 03:27:34 PM »
i dont know if its just me pero di ako maka log in sa philmusic, parating page cannot be displayed. .. is there sumthin wrong or are  you guys doin an upgrade ?

please text me kasi mamaya di nanaman ako makapasok e. ..

thank you

Offline cosine

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »

ywah whats up ?

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »

ywah whats up ?

You got that far, at least it would have served you well to read the posts in between this one and that.

Offline bangbus

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 05:01:08 PM »

Well for the record, its a virtual server account. It runs off a commercial web hosting company.

The site's success brings its own bag of problems.

gotcha, thanks for the reply Jim, i appreciate it. and i too am absolutely grateful that you and the mods are doing your best to keep the site organised and runnin. kind regards.

para malaman mo kung sa server side ng philmusic or your side visit mo tung website na ito http://www.alertra.com/ then type mo philmusic.com pag mga errors ang nakalagay then server side ng philmusic.com pero kung wala error means nasayo ang problem.

thanks for the info, will check that site out. regards