hulika

Author Topic: Steve Vai Thread  (Read 133998 times)

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
Steve Vai Thread
« on: May 06, 2008, 09:30:57 PM »
Let's talk about Mr. Vai here...What's your favorite song, what vai song did you learn to play first?, and anything that you'd like to share or talk about vai...

I'll go first i think my favorite vai piece will be Tender Surrender
First song that i learned to play first is For The Love Of God. :-D

Offline RonnieA

Re: Steve Vai Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 10:32:03 PM »
Hey Bro!!!

For the Love of God! The first time I heard the tune was from a guy who played guitar in River maya. His name is Perf de Catsro. He lend me the "Tape" (sorry ha...hindi pa masyadong uso ang CD nuon eh :-D). I always gets attracted to good solos..but man, Vai can evoke some deeper feelings in you once you hear his licks! I never did hear anything after Passion and Warfare but at least the notes of the song lasted me through these years...until recently...I ventured into You Tube. LO and behold...Vai together with an Orchestra and the very first time I heard, "Lotus Feet"...(hanep!!!) ang galing bro!!!

man, the notes that goes through his brain is connected to something Divine!

He admits that he is a spiritual person and he does meditate! somehow that explains something to where he gets his Inspiration!

Yun  lang! :-D

God Bless!
  RonnieA

Offline AthanVai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:55 PM »
Touching Tongues and Tender Surrender.

I seem to like his sex related songs.  :-D

Great for bumpin' and grindin'...

Offline dubista

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 10:46:20 PM »
pang romance talaga kanya niya, haha
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam. Live Jesus in our hearts, forever.

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
first time i heard vai was the first time i saw him...

the movie  "crossroads" as the devil's guitar player , jack butler.

but even before that, naririnig ko na sya sa david lee roth band...but wala akong alam sa gitara noon at mahilig lang ako makinig ng music sa radio.

"passion and warfare" will always be my favorite vai album.

i would only dream about learning his songs, it would take a whole career to completely get his technique down.

i learned a lot from his 10 hour workout in guitar world. and his articles from guitar player, would help my insight. he is a genius.

the only song/solo i was able to learn would be "eugene's trick bag" from the movie crossroads. all his other songs would be too hard for me to learn.
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline kingthomas

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
gusto ko yung fan niya... yung nag bblow sa muka niya. ang cool eh.  :lol:

imagine... pag wala talagang fan sa muka niya... isiping ng mga tao, sobrang galing niya mag gitara lumalabas lang sa utak niya ang music na tinutugtog niya, kaya gumagalaw buhok niya. wahahaha.  :lol:

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:56:43 AM »
first time i heard vai was the first time i saw him...

the movie  "crossroads" as the devil's guitar player , jack butler.

but even before that, naririnig ko na sya sa david lee roth band...but wala akong alam sa gitara noon at mahilig lang ako makinig ng music sa radio.

"passion and warfare" will always be my favorite vai album.

i would only dream about learning his songs, it would take a whole career to completely get his technique down.

i learned a lot from his 10 hour workout in guitar world. and his articles from guitar player, would help my insight. he is a genius.

the only song/solo i was able to learn would be "eugene's trick bag" from the movie crossroads. all his other songs would be too hard for me to learn.

Dude if you can play "Eugene's Trick Bag" flawlessly, i think you can play For The  Love Of God without having any difficulties  :-D

BTW OT do you have the Guitar World CD-Rom where they featured Vai's 10 hour workout? Cause GW didn't send me one.........PAKOPYA hehehe

Offline markLAKANDULA

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »
una ko natugtog ay For the Love of God..pero favorite ko tender surrener at whispering a prayer... :-)

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
I was introduced to vai's music by my elder brother. The first song i heard from him was the Yankee Rose when he was yet with the David Lee Roth Band. The song's intro is very unique and genius, only a guitar wizard could do that. The first song I learned was Warm Regards, and it took me a century to nail it  :-D. And yes my fave is of course FTLOG. I just really love vai's nuances.
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline bumbum

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »
the first vai song that i learned was CRYING MACHINE. firegarden kasi ang unang vai record na nakuha ko.. inaral ko rin yung aching hunger,warm regards,dyin day,.. then my friend gave me his casette tape of alien love secrets.. that album became my favorite among his albums. i learned tender surrender pero ang hirap nung last part!!!!!! tapos yung pinakapaborito ko na boy from seattle... again, mahirap na naman yung last part!!!!!! hahaha... ang lupet ni vai.. unique ang tonality..

Offline Phil

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
Passion and Warfare in the late 80s early 90s. I was listening to Vai and Satch really.  Didn't learn any songs from him but was heavily listening to his music and got influenced by him.

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack...... Vai lahat yung mga air guitar parts....really cool stoner movie.

10 hour workout also helped me when I was still buying guitar mags.... awesome guitar player.

you want to live life and be healthy?<br />www.wellness-spring.info

Offline blues2death

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
Dude if you can play "Eugene's Trick Bag" flawlessly, i think you can play For The  Love Of God without having any difficulties  :-D

BTW OT do you have the Guitar World CD-Rom where they featured Vai's 10 hour workout? Cause GW didn't send me one.........PAKOPYA hehehe

there was a time, noong nag sisimula pa lang akong maggitara ay araw-araw kong ginagawa. i don't think it was flawless, pero nakaka-loko ng ibang gitarista.....

eventually, i just realized na mas gusto kong sariling style ko na lang kesa manggaya ako----hehe, palusot ibig sabhin nun talagang nahirapan akong kumopya ng solo ni steve vai.

bro, baka may cd ako ng hinahanap mo. taga -saan ka ba?
guitarist telling the drummer what the intro to laklak was. caught on video.at binilangan pa ang drummer 1-2...1-2-3..lol

Offline cacophony

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 09:45:23 AM »
My favorite songs from Mr. Vai:
Tender Surrender
For The Love of God
Whispering a Prayer

Alien Love Secrets = my favorite album from him

:-D

Offline angeloesteban14

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
for the love of god!!! (sobrang bilis ng solo!!)

Offline dark_minister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 11:13:15 AM »
di ako pwedeng mawala dito, im a big fan of Steve Vai... i'd say for now, the one i like would be The Attitude Song... he has lots of good songs, its hard to choose that one ultimate song that i like... first song i learned? what else, For The Love of God but up to now, di ko pa buo... my fingers aint that fast to do the middle part... :-D
Chatting Bird by Caparison Musical Project (SSH config strat), LTD EC-401, Max Rufo Custom 7 String, Line 6 Spider IV 150, Planet Waves Cables

References: rschua, coffee, cleuxss08, BossingBoss, vindalena

Offline lateralis

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2008, 11:21:06 AM »

Who doesn't know Steve Vai di ba?

For the love of God & Building the Church are just some of my favorites.

Offline sweeplikevai

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2008, 11:25:10 AM »
how 'bout "warm regards"? you guys like it?
everybody's talkin 'bout new sound,, funny but its still rock en roll to me..

Offline ael_israel

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2008, 11:39:11 AM »
one of my idols hehehe,,i love his album,,,flexable leftovers na sobrang tagung tagu at alagang alag,,orig cd kasi eh hehe lalu na ung,,u didnt break it, natural born boy and F_CK urself heheheheh....xmpre for the love of god is one of my favorite,,,hehehe especially the g3 with pareng johnson and uncle sat(close??????) hahahah,,,un lang hahaha  :-)
AMMK!!!

Offline luna_07

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2008, 11:44:56 AM »
Huge Vai fan here! I'm a fan of his music and character! He's the true guitar hero! Grabe mga live performances niya, madadala ka talaga. Favorite ko yung Alien Love Secrets, lalo na yung DVD nito. Of all his songs, Tender Surrender talaga ang favorite ko.
References/successful transactions: markv, BAMF, pao2pao16, shutterbugjohn, quietstorm, skunkyfunk, Tasty, trinch, Joel Marcelo, yukinohana, chito_eoi, upfront

Offline markv

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
how 'bout "warm regards"? you guys like it?
Oo naman dabest ballad yan ni Vai. Buo ko yan hehehe! And i'm proud dahil sinipra ko yung buong song from start to finish!! :-D

Offline j3yps

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2008, 04:37:33 PM »
there was a time, noong nag sisimula pa lang akong maggitara ay araw-araw kong ginagawa. i don't think it was flawless, pero nakaka-loko ng ibang gitarista.....

eventually, i just realized na mas gusto kong sariling style ko na lang kesa manggaya ako----hehe, palusot ibig sabhin nun talagang nahirapan akong kumopya ng solo ni steve vai.

bro, baka may cd ako ng hinahanap mo. taga -saan ka ba?
Mangilan-ilang GW ko yung walang CD-rom pero yung kay Vai and Satch Oct 07 Issue yata yun eh... meron din ako mga issues na mey CD-Rom baaka trip mo din BTW from tondo ako dude ikaw?

i'm glad na madaming Vai fans dito, nagtataka lang ako bakit wala pang gumagawa nang thread eh(or hindi ko lang nakikita, i tried searching pero nada), so  gumawa nako...Sana magkaron nang EVO Experience dito sa pinas noh hehehe(ASA PA!)...

Offline armedscissor

• Netizen Level
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 04:41:30 PM »
Tender Surrender! first song na nagustuhan ko sa kaniya.. and kahit after pakinggan ko ng malalim yung tracks niya, bumabalik pa rin ako tender surrender... kaya lang hindi ko makumpleto pagdating sa sweep :-(...waahhh...someone teach me please.. :-D

Offline fsjaime

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »
Let's talk about Mr. Vai here...What's your favorite song, what vai song did you learn to play first?, and anything that you'd like to share or talk about vai...

I'll go first i think my favorite vai piece will be Tender Surrender
First song that i learned to play first is For The Love Of God. :-D

for the love of god is the first 1 i learned to play.... 2nd is the audience is listening and the 3rd 1 is tender surrender... gusto ko din yung blue powder... yun yung huli kong natutunan...
Let's all make Music more wonderful than ever before...

Offline Grim

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2008, 06:58:13 PM »
I dunno but something keeps pulling me to listen to building the church, and i like all vai's sex related instrumentals hahaha lalu na yung the crying machine for wild sex and tender surrender for slow hahahaha,  :-P
By reading this you have given me complete control of your mind for the time it took you to read this message.<br /><br />MoDUS ExPERIMENTUS ako

Offline bumbum

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 05:10:45 AM »
may friend ako dati sa music binigyan ako mp3 kumpleto albums ni vai.. alien love secrets ang favorite album ko..ganda