hulika

Author Topic: Harsh criticisms are definitely welcome.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline ant.lopez

• Netizen Level
Harsh criticisms are definitely welcome.
« on: April 28, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
Hi Y'all :),

I'm a newbie in home recording but I've been writing songs for quite some time now. The thing is, I have a solid idea of what the songs should sound like (in my head) but it doesn't really translate well on the outcome  :cry: For the masters out there, if it's not too much of your time, please criticize (harshly, positively, sarcastically) my recorded demo. You may criticize it however you like. But please let me know what area I should work on. Below are the links:

https://soundcloud.com/pyreants/i-swear-ill-never
https://soundcloud.com/pyreants/same-ol-sh-t

Thanks!

Offline bassman88

Re: Harsh criticisms are definitely welcome.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:17:19 PM »
Can you share a little bit more about how this was recorded? It sounds like a stereo room recording. I'm not a master but I would love to help however I can.

Offline ant.lopez

• Netizen Level
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 01:30:06 AM »
Hello bassman, thanks for listening  :) for the drum parts, I used ezdrummer which is kind of a mess as I don't have a drum kit :( For the bass part, I plugged the bass directly to my alessis multimix box. For the guitar parts, some of them were recorded straight to the multimix box  from my amp and some were mic'ed and I just mixed them down according to what sounds good to me which I think is the problem as I cannot get the sound right and I just add things here and there :-( . 2 of my friends told me that the guitars are 'tunog lata'  :cry: and reminded them of Siakol's recordings which is not what I intended. I was trying to get this Pixies raw recording vibe but I think it's impossible with my setup and I have no workflow or whatsover, just winging everything out. Hope you can share some tips with me, thanks man :)

Offline bassman88

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:29 PM »
Yes drums definitely sound sampled because each hit is too consistent. Pixies recordings are really raw and vibe-y, maybe remove any sort of reverb/delay in any of ur guitars? Pixies' guitar sound is more of feedback which might be misheard as delays or reverbs. Also, you can afford to pull up the vocals pa and keep it raw. As for bass, if your going with Pixies "Gigantic" bass sound, which is my fav bass song from em, I think miking an amp instead of DI will get you closer to that gritty sound. DI often sounds really FULL with lots of low end which is not always the right sound for vibe-y raw-ish sound.

Offline ant.lopez

• Netizen Level
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
Thanks a lot for the tips, Sir Bassman. Yeah, I may have put in a lot of reverb on the guitars. Next time, I will have to mic everything up. And yes, I think you're spot on about DI being sounding really full, will have to mic the bass next time also (And yeah, the Gigantic bass sound is really awsome!). For the drums, looks like I can't do anything about it for now  :-( I didn't really pay attention to the vocals, but I may have put in a lot of reverb hehehe. Thanks very much for the great tips..

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Have you updated your room acoustically?

Sent from my Nokia 3210 android using tapatim.

Offline ant.lopez

• Netizen Level
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »
Hi Sir Nelson,

Nope, I haven't updated my room acoustically. I'm a pure noob on that area, and it's not really feasible for me at the moment. But if you can suggest things, I will to have to definitely take note of it and will consider your suggestions in the near future. Thanks sire.

Offline Nelson de Leon

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 01:05:08 PM »
Hi Sir Nelson,

Nope, I haven't updated my room acoustically. I'm a pure noob on that area, and it's not really feasible for me at the moment. But if you can suggest things, I will to have to definitely take note of it and will consider your suggestions in the near future. Thanks sire.

You can post your pictures of your room here so others may chime in as to how to properly treat your room.

Sound interaction with the recording room has a major impact in recording.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 android using tapatim.