hulika

Author Topic: Rivermaya - "Free"  (Read 10650 times)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
Rivermaya - "Free"
« on: August 31, 2000, 02:10:39 PM »
Post your reviews of the album here!

Offline polmags

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Rivermaya - "Free"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2000, 11:44:29 PM »
Here's a track-by-track review...

Faithless - Rico did some rantings and heavy vocal chores here something that will remind you of "Sunog" (...wala si nanay, wala si tatay...) As Janie says, "full of angst." For me, the narration at the last part (...only in the darkness can we plainly see the hand that saves and sets us free...) pretty sums up the theme of the song. The music complements Rico's loud vocal.

Serious Offender - The guitars made a great appearance here. More shoutings from Rico. Has that British music feel. As sexy as "Ballroom Dancing" but this one is louder. The song's lyrics creeps somthing that reminds me of Michael Jackson's "Dirty Diana".

Again - Composed and vocal by Natan. Started soft on it's first few lines then it became heavy & loud. The song is about someone who lost his love and hopes "..you'll come back to me.." (pa-martyr effect). Natan's vocal performance here is different from his songs in the "it's not easy being green..." album.

Stranded - A love song that is guitar-driven with mid-tempo beat making it happy and not a senti-love song. Rico's vocal performance here is cool. The lyrics has that "214" feel but not mushy as all, instead, it is poetic and technological.

Imbecillesque - The song opens with an acoustic guitar (?) which reminds me of "Panahon Na Naman". Something like, Rico's solo performance. The lyrics is simple, accepting one's mistakes and asking for apology. It's message is the opposite of "(A Little) Sorry (Should Make Everything Alright)" lyrics. This could be a classic song that can rank among David Pomeranz, Stephen Bishop or Rex Smith. By the way, you may ask what is the meaning of the title. Is there such a word? Yes, and it is along the lines of "...stupid, fool, moron..." Get the drift?

Ambulansya - For a simple meaning of the lengthy lyrics, it has a story to tell with a tragic, violent ending. But one can deduce a deeper meaning into this. The "Ambulansya" here represents something that can save you but if you misuse it, it can bring you danger. It is backed up with a piano and percussion and with that ambulance siren sound effect.

It's Strange But It's True - The beat has that old 60's beat feel something like Atomic Bomb's "Tea For Two" but this one has that mid-tempo beat. Initially, it reminds me of Ogie Alcasid's revival song "Panaginip". It has that distorted guitar all over the song. The lyrics is about the guy who accepts a break-up but strangely though, he seems cannot accept it. Good for slow dancing. But this ain't no mushy song.

Straight No Chaser - Natan's second composition and vocal assignment in this album. The beat remind's me of "Sapot" as performed by FrancisM (with Planet Garapata). Has that reggae feel like of "Prodigal Dub". It has that "drink your pain away" theme.

Tulog - The instrumental intro is cool. This song's beat is fun to listen to. It ranks as another RiverMaya's novelty song along with "Saturday (Bakit Ako?)" This is Rico's auto-biographical song. It says more than "...hindi pa rin ako tumataba...payat pa rin ako..." Find it out yourself...

Steady - Has that hypnotic beat something like a Hindu song. Rico's tripping out with the lyrics and music until the end. Check out the backmasked vocals towards the end of the song and figure out what is says. Hey, I think this one stole the record set by "Sunog" being RM's longest song, clocking in more than seven minutes. Reminds me of the remixed version of "Flowers."

- polmags

Offline polmags

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Rivermaya - "Free"
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2000, 11:51:58 PM »
And you can read the review of Ms. Janie Agripa
<A href="http://www.egroups.com/message/rivermaya/9953">here</A> as posted on the <A href="http://www.egroups.com/list/rivermaya">Ground - The RiverMaya Mailing List<A>.

Offline hop2step3

Re: Rivermaya - "Free"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 10:03:44 PM »
one of my fave rivermaya album

Offline James_Animagi

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 12:01:26 PM »
eto ung 2nd album ng maya na 3 lang sila maganda ung mga songs d2 lalo ung ambulansya & faithless panalong panalo ung iba mejo cheezy ung sound pero ok lang

Offline JQuiz

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 12:08:54 PM »
INarguably the band's best effort post-Bamboo. Vocally, you can say that Rico established himself as the legit frontman of the band. Good review by the way Polmags. My comments right after every snipped messages of yours:

Here's a track-by-track review...

Faithless - Rico did some rantings and heavy vocal chores here something that will remind you of "Sunog" (...wala si nanay, wala si tatay...) As Janie says, "full of angst." For me, the narration at the last part (...only in the darkness can we plainly see the hand that saves and sets us free...) pretty sums up the theme of the song. The music complements Rico's loud vocal.

Angst to whom, i ask? While it provided some heavy emotional outbursts toward a definite target (society?) i thought it was more of the personal struggle rather than a social angst common to most... i'd even go on and say that this is Rico's most religious effort---- religion being something of a personal experience/revelation to something bigger than the self.

What i love also about the song is the fact that this is the most raw i heard Maya. Blame being independent for the album, they really run wild and just played on and we had a stripped-down, effective guitars-bass-drums simplicity which worked quite well for the song.

i wish i had more time, but surely i'd be going back to this thread to discuss more of Free songs. Sa ngayon, Faithless muna. :)

Offline lennon_reincarnate

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 09:52:41 PM »
ito yung album na di sila nag-isip para mangplease ng tao..

it won the album of the year award sa nu107.2000 ata un.

mismong si ely nagsabi, sobrang galing pagkasulat ng album na to.

Offline 1waymule

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 01:13:45 PM »
i was already a fan of maya before "Free", but i found a new respect for them upon hearing the album. For me, Ambulansya is the best OPM song written to this day.

the way the album was distributed was also revolutionary at that time. remember, this was before radiohead started giving away music for free.  :-)

Offline smutdrummer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 01:53:33 AM »
dapat p bang rivermaya ang pangalan nila kahit wala na yung mga originals?
or marketing strategy na lang ito?

Offline S.I.M.A

• Netizen Level
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:24 AM »
the best album rivermaya did...artistically and musically....this one inspired me to write songs....
Procastinate productively

Offline jhunterproject

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
meron ako copy ng dalawa track sa album nato, ambulansya and again... napaka powerful song ng ambulansya parang maiisip mo n may radiohead ding banda dito sa pinas... rivermaya un... problem ko wala ako buong copy nato, patulong mga sir d ko kase alam kung san nakukuha or download to free album, baka pwede may mag bigay sakin ng exact website or any links.. thanx mga sir :-)

Offline faithless

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
one of the best maya albums indeed. a bit different than the usual pero wala pa ring tapon. :-D

Offline radioluck

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 09:26:44 AM »
Faithless is a great song, haha.

yun lang ata hindi ko binuburang OPM sa mp3 ko.

Offline dreamhaus09

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »
Imbecillesque - pinaka fave kong track..  :-D

Buti naisipan nila gawing FREE ito..  :roll:

www.ProjectSmithereen.lens.ph
500px.com/projectsmithereen Canon EOS 1000D | Canon a3100 IS

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »