hulika

Author Topic: Luthier, anyone? Suggestions? Help on restoring a vintage acoustic!  (Read 975 times)

Offline juliyeahn

• Netizen Level
Hi Guys!

This guitar is an Ibanez Japan Vintage 637F 1970's model (uses the old Ibanez logo as you can see) and has been in the family for quite some time. After quite some time and realizations, we have decided to restore this beauty (and not live with the issues anymore). But alas, we are troubled to which luthier to trust. I know each luthier has their specialties and especially, their prices. We reside at Marcos Highway wherein the proximity of the luthier is also a plus.

We wanted to address the small paint issue at the back of the neck, the "crack" and the few other parts. I'd like to ask the opinion of those who have had their fair share of experience with luthiers. We have noticed that the strings are noticeably harder to press than the modern acoustics from epiphone and takamine. The guitar costed about 10 000 back in the day.

One question, I believe that the model does not have a truss rod installed? Or if so, it may have been inside and could not be adjusted.

Photos

Luckily found an exact model on ebay!
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1970s-IBANEZ-VINTAGE-637F-Guitar-JAPAN-unique-000-OM-style-70s-model-Excellent-/151386418548
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:18:50 PM by juliyeahn »

Offline analog.matt

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Luthier, anyone? Suggestions? Help on restoring a vintage acoustic!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
arie is the best specially when dealing with old guitars.

Offline Decay. Sustain. Release.

Re: Luthier, anyone? Suggestions? Help on restoring a vintage acoustic!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »
arie is the best specially when dealing with old guitars.

totoo ito... pati sa broken headstock siya da best.