hulika

Author Topic: Where to buy Firewire Cards?  (Read 768 times)

Offline proud07christian

Where to buy Firewire Cards?
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:12:05 PM »
Where can I buy a firewire card for my desktop? How much does it usually cost?
A little explication can help me greatly, I'm knew to the world of it.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 01:14:16 PM by proud07christian »

Offline 3650guy

• Forum Fanatic
Re: Where to buy Firewire Cards?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »
usually it is a PCI slot - expansion card which you mount on the motherboard so that you can connect to other firewire devices like sound cards, videco cams at speeds similar to a usb 2 connection (debatable of course)

firewire cards come with Texas Instruments or Via chipsets or even creative chipsets also. it usually will depend on what is your purpose. for audio recording it is a safe bet to use a T.I. chipset. although it is best to check with the peripherals you plan to use. meron din el cheapo firewire sa cdr king less than 500 pesos. but no guarantee if it will work with the device you plan to use.

you can try the audio/pc classifieds here at this forum or you may try tipidpc.com. but be sure of the specification you need and be aware of what you are getting into.
"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you, No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun" DSOTM

Offline RazrX

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »
I also had a hard time looking for a Texas Instruments Firewire PCI-E card locally so I bought a T.I. complaint motherboard instead.. Gigabyte EP45-UD3P to be more specific. There are a lot of U.S. based sellers carrying T.I. Firewire cards if you would like to place an order online. Locally though, I'm not sure if there are any. I've seen a forumite in the Pro-Audio Gear Classifieds selling what I believe is a T.I. compliant Firewire PCI-E card for P5,000.00 (I'm not sure about the price).. But if you just want to get your Firewire device on your P.C. and still having troubles looking for a T.I. Firewire card, then I'd suggest look for a T.I. compliant motherboard instead.. Worked for me!  :-D

Offline RazrX

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
I also had a hard time looking for a Texas Instruments Firewire PCI-E card locally so I bought a T.I. complaint motherboard instead.. Gigabyte EP45-UD3P to be more specific. There are a lot of U.S. based sellers carrying T.I. Firewire cards if you would like to place an order online. Locally though, I'm not sure if there are any. I've seen a forumite in the Pro-Audio Gear Classifieds selling what I believe is a T.I. compliant Firewire PCI-E card for P5,000.00 (I'm not sure about the price).. But if you just want to get your Firewire device on your P.C. and still having troubles looking for a T.I. Firewire card, then I'd suggest look for a T.I. compliant motherboard instead.. Worked for me!  :-D

Follow up: http://talk.philmusic.com/board/index.php/topic,174998.0.html
I've heard these are good PCI cards.. And I believe T.I. Compliant too..  :wink:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 12:40:01 PM by RazrX »