hulika

Author Topic: Need recommendations: Detachable mini-mic for 12 string gtr, banjo, gitjo...  (Read 1515 times)

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
Guys, I'm a noob when it comes to pro audio/music tech.  I need recommendations on ONE solution for micing my banjo, gitjo, 12 string gtr, and regular acoustic gtr.  I'm thinking something like a lavalier clip-on mic so I can easily attach and detach to transfer to another guitar in seconds! 

I'm not necessarily looking for the best audio quality but a balance of good, faithful acoustic sound reproduction but also the mobile/portable functionality to use up to 5 acoustic instruments w/ just one mic live performance.  It will need a long cable to reach either the amp or a preamp on the floor.

I've seen stuff like AT831CW and they seem cool but want to hear about other people's experience with them:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTAT831CW

Some of you might suggest just using a regular mic like an SM57/58 and finding the best position in front of the instrument.  That's difficult for me cuz I tend to flail wildly and can't keep my body (and, therefore, the gtr) still.  The reglar mic can be a complementing setup to augment the clip-on mic's sound, but by itself it's never worked for me.

Thanks in advance for your help. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:14:26 AM by deltaslim »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Need recommendations: Clip-on mic for 12 string gtr, banjo, gitjo...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:52:49 PM »
Sir Joric! Nice to see you posting here!

When it comes to acoustic guitars and instruments, I guess the name of choice for pickups and transducers is Fishman. Some other banjo pups can be found here.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Hey jedi master KitC!  I was hoping you'd see this.

Tnx for the suggestion. I'm really looking more along the lines of a lavalier/clip-on mini-mic.  I don't want to install permanent pus on all of my acoustics; they're not high-end instruments.  My goal is basic amplification; tone is secondary. ;-)

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 09:11:05 PM »
Ei blues master Joric! If you check Fishman's SBT-C and -HP pups, these aren't permanently attached to the instrument. The manual indicates you can install and uninstall these at will but I guess you should have a supply of double-backed tape ready.

The other link mentions a removable transducer here but I can't find a link about details. YMMV.

As for your original question, the clip-on lavalier might work, but you will have to experiment with placement to get a good sound. You typically want to avoid the soundhole because of boominess; you might have to tape it inside the body. Apparently the T831 is intended for wireless applications and it's connector isn't a standard XLR but a special 4-pin HRS connection for the AT Uni-Pak wireless system. I think a better mic would be Audio-Technica's PRO 70 which uses an XLRM connector.
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:10:08 PM »
Tnx KitC, I will look into these closely.  :-)

Offline bugoy

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 09:28:52 PM »
medyo cool nga toh ah, micro condenser ? medyo kailangan lang yata niyan ng phantom power ?

I've seen stuff like AT831CW and they seem cool but want to hear about other people's experience with them:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AUTAT831CW

Offline deltaslim

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:12:50 AM »
Uy, pwede!  Tnx Perf.