hulika

Author Topic: Who's the Greatest drummer in your opinion?  (Read 42113 times)

Jerv

Who's the Greatest drummer in your opinion?
« on: February 07, 2005, 05:58:37 AM »
[/b]

Jeremy

Re: Who's the Greatest drummer in your opinion?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:03:05 AM »
Has anyone heard of Alphonze Mouzon? I've seen him live here in london and woooooow the guy is possesed. he plays single bass pedal but he can make it sound like double bass like drummer guy from Fear Factory.  :twisted:

Gush

Re: Who's the Greatest drummer in your opinion?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 06:07:14 AM »
The Greatest Drummer for me is Dennis Chambers. His arms multiplies once he sat on his stool. The guy is a GOD!

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005, 06:02:52 AM »
ayos may drum forum na....WEEEEEEEEEEHHH!!!!

for me it's Buddy Rich...lahat ng mga magagaling na drummers ngayon have bits and pieces of buddy's technique, attitude, concept ect etc...

Offline versionfour

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 03:24:55 AM »
yung dating drummer ng "band of joy"... imposibleng di niyo kilala yon...

:D
www.versionfour.com (c'mon come to papa, and hear papa sing!)

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 11:05:40 PM »
Probably Billy Cobham and Steve Gadd :) Well for jazz anyway.

Offline xymoza

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2005, 01:17:27 AM »
i agree with pinoymusika Steve Gadd for jazz but let me add Mike Portnoy for prog-rock  :D

Offline rv2underground

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 02:58:49 PM »
to me speed is greatness, so i gotta say pete sandoval of morbid angel, when it comes to style my pick is dave lombardo of slayer

btw, just wondering if double bass exists in the phil.?

Offline jay dayrit

• Netizen Level
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
I vote for Vinnie Paul of Pantera, he's now on DamagePlan. :D
pucha natatae ko!

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 12:42:37 PM »
IMO, Jeffrey Porcaro of Toto. He's one of the best and innovative drummer all over the world. His groove and his kindness bring him to the master of the drumming art.  8)
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline pinoymusika

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 02:07:13 PM »
Let's add Stewart Copeland to the list... 20 years after the last Police album (Synchronicity) his reggaeish rock drumming still inspires a lot of styles today!

Offline reynold

• Philmusicus Noobitus
e2
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 12:48:42 PM »
vinnie coliouta, yan angv worlds graetest drummer!
only the strong survive!!!

Offline charliebrown

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2005, 09:08:13 AM »
Ginger Baker, Mitch Mitchell, Bosyo Fortuno...

Offline Super BisDak

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2005, 11:17:38 AM »
Quote from: charliebrown
Mitch Mitchell

seconded!  :twisted:

I almost forgot! :roll:

Mitch's playing is very technical, versatile, athletic, and powerful.  He can be loud and powerful as a train, and soft and light as a feather at the same time.  His adroit stickmanship, fast fills, and innovative rock rhythms are what really catches a listener's ear though. His rhythms were so ahead of his time its incredible. He is able to keep good time, but at the same time, his playing is filled with exciting and creative runs  placed in odd places. His playing is for the most part a lot more intelligent and tasteful.

All in all, he was a drummer who could start a pusating, swinging groove in any song or style, and even shine a bit on his own with some great drum solos.

His greatness can be witnessed in many of the songs he played on with Jimi Hendrix.
dealt: faceless,fraudulentzodiac,verve,egbdf,Saturn/Return,bdc3,dk_ouano,gemboy,studiowan,Slingky,PLESIM,asti21,sidlead66,CIERRAE,ungas123,lippy,cocojam,jolam1431,putchazta_46,dannygatton,lynshumalmsteen,GslashG,atomo,uchihadarwin,mzik_man,Diamond_Don&etc

Offline charliebrown

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2005, 09:21:04 PM »
And i almost forgot.... KEITH MOON.... :D

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 01:15:48 AM »
Hal Blaine. The Great Hal Blaine. ;)

Offline af_villaruel

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 12:43:49 AM »
portnoy ako.  :D

Offline fan ni pacquiao

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 01:18:07 AM »
kanya kanya lang naman diba? i go for carter beauford of DMB... sarap pakinggan... pati si ringo starkey ng beatles. inspirasyon ko sa pagpalo. yun...
struggle with the cycle of sex through power and power through sex and rise above the world for once...

Offline brianwilson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »
Quote from: fan ni pacquiao
pati si ringo starkey ng beatles. inspirasyon ko sa pagpalo. yun...

Man thanks for recognizing Ringo! ;)  Very few people appreciate what he's done for The Beatles. He allowed the space for the others to enrich. Being a drummer myself and having played a few Beatle tracks, I have to say I really have a tough time trying to get his style..I'm still trying.

He was able to play Latin (I Feel Fine) pop, rock, and various time signatures one after another (All You Need Is Love, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, etc.) which is difficult to do and do well. He has great elements of jazz and the time changing that he had to do with Beatles stuff is far removed from the boring 4 on the floor formatt that so many 'amazing' drummers champion themselves and show off with.

He had great expression without having to do the 'Thunder rolls". Not detracting from the other amazing drummers like Moony, Mitchell and Bonham.

He virtually invented (or perhaps more to the point brought to the fore) the open hi-hat technique that gave a solid wash of cymbals to the backing of a song.  Rocking!

He had a strong back beat (bass drum) that brought that aspect to the fore as well.

He inspired countless, countless people to take up drums, many of whom went on to fame themselves.

Songs of note: Rain (his favorite), A Day In The Life (the fills he did were absolutely perfect, and no one would have ever played them as musically as that), The End (Abbey Road), She Said She Said, and many more.  His inventive yet supportive style and laid back personality was perfect for the Beatles.  No other drummer could have added so much.

Technical ability is nothing without feeling, without empathy and understanding.  And maybe some love.  And he brought all that and more to the group.

The Beatles as a whole band had the art of writing and recording perfectly imperfect!
I think that will make sense to any Beatle lover who really does sleep with headphones on ;)

Offline digimortal31

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 01:56:28 AM »
VIC MERCADO
Marco Rosales

Offline idespisehumanity

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2005, 02:24:44 AM »
vinnie paul, jaska raatikainen, dave pybus, joey jordison... thats just a few, there are alot of drum geniuses out there.
"Yeah, I play guitar and some bass"- Me
"Really? I love a guy with FAST fingers"- one of my chick friends

Offline charliebrown

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 11:21:45 AM »
I second mr. Vlad Wilson's statement... harharhar!!!!!  :D Ringo Starr may be one of the most under-rated drummer/ musician of all time, but heck, he's one of the fab 4 and u can't beat that....  :D

Rich Starkey provided an excellent beat for a White Album track "Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey"...  :D

Offline brain

• Philmusicus Noobitus
best drummer
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2005, 04:58:46 PM »
josh freese of vandals
check-it out on www.drummerworld.com

Offline giberrman2

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2005, 03:33:07 PM »
2 of them...
Mike Portnoy and Carter Beauford...
Guys don't fall for this...it's a hacked account. That's why it's only for two months.

Offline cs_mapper

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2005, 01:50:38 AM »
Quote from: brianwilson
Quote from: fan ni pacquiao
pati si ringo starkey ng beatles. inspirasyon ko sa pagpalo. yun...

Man thanks for recognizing Ringo! ;)  Very few people appreciate what he's done for The Beatles. He allowed the space for the others to enrich. Being a drummer myself and having played a few Beatle tracks, I have to say I really have a tough time trying to get his style..I'm still trying.

He was able to play Latin (I Feel Fine) pop, rock, and various time signatures one after another (All You Need Is Love, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, etc.) which is difficult to do and do well. He has great elements of jazz and the time changing that he had to do with Beatles stuff is far removed from the boring 4 on the floor formatt that so many 'amazing' drummers champion themselves and show off with.

He had great expression without having to do the 'Thunder rolls". Not detracting from the other amazing drummers like Moony, Mitchell and Bonham.

He virtually invented (or perhaps more to the point brought to the fore) the open hi-hat technique that gave a solid wash of cymbals to the backing of a song.  Rocking!

He had a strong back beat (bass drum) that brought that aspect to the fore as well.

He inspired countless, countless people to take up drums, many of whom went on to fame themselves.

Songs of note: Rain (his favorite), A Day In The Life (the fills he did were absolutely perfect, and no one would have ever played them as musically as that), The End (Abbey Road), She Said She Said, and many more.  His inventive yet supportive style and laid back personality was perfect for the Beatles.  No other drummer could have added so much.

Technical ability is nothing without feeling, without empathy and understanding.  And maybe some love.  And he brought all that and more to the group.

The Beatles as a whole band had the art of writing and recording perfectly imperfect!
I think that will make sense to any Beatle lover who really does sleep with headphones on ;)

i agree on a lot of things you posted sir. he made drums swing in a rock and pop context. there are certain drum parts that are quit tough to play unless ayos kang mag-sangag ika nga ng mga pinoy drummers example is this song Act Naturally.
it's a nice a little up-tempo shuffle groove.