hulika

Author Topic: The PhilMusic Podcast Project  (Read 46938 times)

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
Re: The PhilMusic Podcast Episode #2 is out!
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
ayos sir jim.. nice.. one

i noticed something.. parang compressed sobra yung mix .. or parang kailangan ng "de-esser".
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline Jim Ayson

« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2007, 04:11:29 PM »
Yeah, I tried following Mike Pedero's advice to apply compression - but maybe what works with radio doesn't work for iPods which have a wider dynamic range?
Check out the PhilMusic Facebook Page! "Like" us now!

http://facebook.com/philmusic.dotcom

Offline Jim Ayson

« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »
DECEMBER 30 at Sound Creation Studios - Mega yearender podcast.  Featuring the main even- Deltaslim vs. Oasgomez

Undercard matches - gear wanking from different Philmusic folks.  16 hours ang booking sa Sound Creation all for this.  Catering is being planned at the moment.

I don't buy that Alex Gomez needs a recording studio for his "shootout." He posts too many conditions. I'd say, have it in Music Museum and sell tickets! Hope he gets over his stage fright and practices his people skills by then.

Offline skunkyfunk

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2007, 04:25:34 PM »
I don't buy that Alex Gomez needs a recording studio for his "shootout." He posts too many conditions. I'd say, have it in Music Museum and sell tickets! Hope he gets over his stage fright and practices his people skills by then.

Maybe we should release it on DVD then.   :-D

Offline dantuts

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2007, 10:17:21 AM »
Yeah, I tried following Mike Pedero's advice to apply compression - but maybe what works with radio doesn't work for iPods which have a wider dynamic range?

i think applying compression will also work for ipods. i think a little bit of compression will do. it was a very good episode though. there's still more episodes to come..

-----------------------------------------------------

btw, i often visit this site ,
http://blog.pandora.com/podcast/

you can use them as a reference in regards to applying compression...
I was alive in the forest
I was cut by the cruel axe
In life I was silent In death I sweetly sing

Offline Jim Ayson

Recording Lea Salonga
« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
I had the opportunity to record an interview with Lea Salonga recently for an upcoming Philmusic Podcast (we bumped into her, asked her, she consented, simple as that). It was interesting on many levels, including a technical one - I managed to see firsthand what a lot recording engineers mentioned about Lea's masterful vocal control.

As we setup for the interview (I use a portable recording setup involving a laptop, a couple of Samson USB condenser mics, and Adobe Audition). When we were getting levels - she took one look at the waveforms on her track on the laptop - made a note to herself about her volume, and adjusted her levels by adjusting the volume of her speaking voice accordingly. I didn't have to do anything after that, and for the most part she stayed on those levels (well except for the occasional bursts of laughter). Her vocal track sounded great on playback - mine (as the interviewer) sounded crappy as always, requiring a lot of post-prod intervention.

I told her about the story that a friend of mine, Dennis Mabanta, once told me when he used to record her at the late Audio Captain Studios. He used to say that Lea has "natural compression", very good control of her levels. She responded with "yeah, I think I have a built in mic pre-amp".

I guess it's a combination of skill, experience, and inborn talent - and professionalism, she doesn't want to waste your time. It's great to find a vocalist who really understands her instrument, both in a natural and technical sense.

About the interview itself, that was interesting too. Lea turns out to be a fan of the OPM band scene, so we talked about Imago (she has nothing but praises for Aia de Leon), The Dawn, Sandwich, Cambio, Bamboo, Paramita... not what you'd expect from this "Broadway star."

Update: And she also talked about some PhilMusic forum netizens like her bro Gerard and Marvin Querido :)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 08:50:59 AM by Jim Ayson »

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
Re: Recording Lea Salonga
« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2007, 09:12:55 PM »
When we were getting levels - she took one look at the waveforms on her track on the laptop - made a note to herself about her volume, and adjusted her levels by adjusting the volume of her speaking voice accordingly. I didn't have to do anything after that, and for the most part she stayed on those levels (well except for the occasional bursts of laughter).

OMG! That's almost spooky... practically surreal even. It's uncanny to meet someone who has that much talent. Makes me wish I was there just to observe the session. I had a similar experience recording a well known cebuana singer several years back. It was a jingle for radio commercial and this singer was driving in from GMA-7 after their noontime show then. In the 1 hour drive, she learned the lyrics AND the notes, and when she arrived, she did EVERYTHING in ONE TAKE! Not a single flubbed note or slurred syllable! Amazing!

Glad to see you're getting to grips with your recording setup too, Jim!
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2007, 12:37:55 AM »
Yup. Broadway people are notorious for having an uncanny ability to control the levels of their voice very well...all the more because Leah is a Tony winner. I dated this girl who was a theatre major and she used to do vocal exercises in the bathroom. Seeing her theatre performances showed me that the methodology for her exercises had a very real and practical application since most theatre people are expected to enunciate and project their voices without the aid of a microphone as part of their training. She could throw her voice out to me on the balcony and I would understand her words as well as if she'd been sitting beside in the seat beside me. Scary.

ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline bitflipper

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2007, 01:08:57 AM »
Next you'll be telling all these guys who are asking what kind of vocal processing plugs they should use that they should really just practice singing!

I wonder if the Spice Girls have been told about this.

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2007, 01:38:54 AM »
Sigh.  I have always had a huge crush on her that I fear will never go away.  :oops:

I even bought those pink sanrio cassettes.   :-D

Offline xjepoyx

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2007, 01:50:06 AM »
Sigh.  I have always had a huge crush on her that I fear will never go away.  :oops:

I even bought those pink sanrio cassettes.   :-D

hahaha ako pards i still do have those old vinyls in my attic. i think shes around 12yo in that album and i was 8yo i think :)

haaayy buti na lang we have her brother in the forums... diba gerard? ;)
good girls go to heaven. bad girls go to my room!  [/i]

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2007, 02:02:24 AM »
Oo nga pala!  Nawala sa isip ko!  Hahahahahaha!  Kakahiya.  Sorry, Gerard.   :-D

Offline abyssinianson

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2007, 03:46:38 AM »
Next you'll be telling all these guys who are asking what kind of vocal processing plugs they should use that they should really just practice singing!

indeed. the singing and performance art training for theatre study is amazing and it not only shows in the profession. like a ballet dancer with a toned body, theatre people have a certain way of projecting themselves when they talk and interact with other people. a lot of musicians who sing and perform could learn a lot from students of the performing arts like developing a proper singing technique and honing the way they vocalize their songs to make the music take on a more expressive, powerful feel.
ako si mimordz. 友だちからよろしくです!

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2007, 08:04:46 AM »
there are very few singers (too few, in fact) who have the same level of musicianship and professionalism as lea. she has perfect pitch, can sight read, can give gerard an exact a-pitch anytime gerard asks for it, and always comes prepared for every rehearsal or show, regardless of whether she's feeling fine that particular day or not. it was a dream come true for me to have had the honor of working with her.
============
Marvin Querido
http://www.facebook.com/MVQMusic ============

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

I heard they'll be using Melodyne or something for their reunion tour. Ooops!  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:25:26 AM by KitC »
Sonar 4.04PE/5.2PE/7.02PE/8.31 PE, Project 5 v2.5.1, EmulatorX 1.5, Cubase SL2, Ableton Live 7.14,  Intel Q6600 MSI P43 Neo 4Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800, Emu 1820m, Yamaha DSP Factory, Terratec DMX 6fire

Offline demet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »
nice read sir Jim...as sir KitC said, it's spooky and surreal...that's what it is...it makes you think about the "divas" who aren't anywhere near Lea's talent and act as if they're the shizzle...
check out my music at:<br /><br />http://www.myspace.com/medjazzproductions

Offline GerardSalonga

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
Just the other day we were here recording a VO of her reciting the Panatang Makabayan (the crappy revised one), and she was done and over with it in nothing flat.  I just told her what scoring cues to use from the background music for the right pacing, and voila.

Working with someone who has a complete skill set like her (reading, great ears, knowledge of instruments, and a monster I.Q.) can make it a pain in the ass working with other artists.  I won't elaborate about them, but with Lea sometimes all I need to tell her is "go with the flute thing here and the trumpet thing there" or "wait for the Cma7 chord before you do this or that" and she gets it....not pretending or faking anything.  She can really hear.

What a lot of people don't know is that she was once a really good pianist.  in fact we felt that she might take it all the way to concert artist level, but alas, other things took hold.  She's also a really technically savvy person, and understands the dynamic range limitations of recording equipment , and so she's able to adjust.  There's not a lot of fader-riding needed.

Jim hit it right on the head.  Her pro attitude is what makes her so much fun to work with.  She leaves any ego issues at the door, doesn't do a lot of small talk, and really tries to make the session worth your while.

Her brother frequents these forums....he's a musician, startlingly handsome, with a million-dollar personality and oodles of sex appeal. 

At least that what others say.   :mrgreen:

BTW, Marvin, don't speak in past tense just yet...we've got a ton of work with her next year!  :-)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 03:32:06 PM by GerardSalonga »
less is more
www.musikanatin.com
ASUS P5B Deluxe, Win XP Pro SP2/3GB switch, 4G RAM, 160 system, 250 x2, 160 Glyph, 60 GLyph, Cubase 4, Kontakt 2, GS3, all the Spectra stuff, EWQLSO, VSL, GOS, SAM, and lots more

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2007, 05:15:22 PM »
haha. ah okay. fair enough...:-)
============
Marvin Querido

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2007, 06:54:11 PM »

Actually, there really isn't any recording technique that's better than improving the source itself. The better the source of the audio, the better the audio is going to be. A singer with great vocal technique recorded with a cheap recording equipment is still going to sound better than a singer with poor vocal control recorded with state-of-the-art recording equipment, even with the help of Autotune and/or Melodyne.

Better musicianship and recording skills is ALWAYS a more worthwhile investment/upgrade to any equipment.

============
Marvin Querido

Offline micr0chimp

• Forum Fanatic
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »
I think it'd even be worse if you record a singer who one would think is lacking in vocal technique through state-of-the-art gear.  Everything wrong with the track will be evident.

A certain cellphone-loaded soundclip suddenly comes to mind... :lol:

Offline KitC

• Prime Moderator
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2007, 08:51:19 PM »

Cellphone? It's in youtube in all it's splendor! <so keys me!>

Offline marvinq

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2007, 09:01:13 AM »
I think it'd even be worse if you record a singer who one would think is lacking in vocal technique through state-of-the-art gear.  Everything wrong with the track will be evident.

....aygatda stap dat yuwant....
....aygat dateng dat yuniiiid...
....ay ehm da kwin opda naaaayyt....
...owye......owye......owyeeeeee...

teyngkyu... bow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 09:02:30 AM by marvinq »
============
Marvin Querido

Offline starfugger

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2007, 09:20:46 AM »
....aygatda stap dat yuwant....
....aygat dateng dat yuniiiid...
....ay ehm da kwin opda naaaayyt....
...owye......owye......owyeeeeee...

teyngkyu... bow.

paaanaaalo marbeen!
FOR RENT: Canon 550D, Canon 60D, Glidecam (Machinist), Toribio Slider EX with a pair of tripods for mounting, 2 1000W Lights with 9ft stands, Zoom H4, Rode Video Mic, Portable LED Lights 09154574744

Offline tejadster

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2007, 08:10:49 PM »
kelan ilalabas yung 4

Offline Jim Ayson

« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2007, 12:40:33 AM »