hulika

Author Topic: EVANS vs REMO  (Read 7173 times)

Offline Hallion

• Philmusicus Noobitus
Re: EVANS vs REMO
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 10:04:11 AM »
I would like to share my experience with the big three brands of heads: (1) Remo, (2) Evans and (3) Aquarian. Hopefully makatulong ito sa ibang drummers. Please take note that there is no such thing as a "better brand drum head". It is all PREFERENCE.

I will only be reviewing the single ply 10mm heads coated/clear for the three bands. Para hindi malito ang iba, these are the equivalents of the single ply 10mm heads for each brand:

1. Coated Single Ply
(1.a) Remo Coated Ambassador
(1.b) Evans G1 Coated
(1.c) Aquarian Texture Coated

2. Clear Single Ply
(2.a) Remo Clear Ambassador
(2.b) Evans G1 Clear
(2.c) Aquarian Classic Clear

Review Clear Heads
For the clear heads, I find aquarian and remo clear heads sound very close. The evans clear sounds a bit more "plasticky" for me. In terms of tuning, I find the new evans 360 easier to tune, while the aquarian classic clear sounds better for very low tuning. Overall, I prefer clear remo and aquarian heads for my rack toms and the aquarian clear heads for the floor tom.

Review Coated Heads
This is where it becomes interesting. I find that there is a bigger sound difference among the three brands for the coated heads compared to the clear heads. Unfortunately, I also did not like the Evans G1 coated. The coated Evans sounds more muted than the remo and aquarian counterparts. I have nothing against Evans but I just find Remo and Aquarian single ply coated heads more musical.

Now, the Aquarian and Remo single ply coated sound similar but at the same time different. Let me explain by reviewing the two heads for each drum:

(a) Snare (medium to high tuning) - remo coated ambassador wins over the aquarian. I find the aquarian textured coated mutes the snare drum more than the Remo. Furthermore, I find the coated ambassadors produces a more musical "overtones" on the snare drum. The aquarian texture coated was more focused.

(b) Rack Toms (medium tuning) - remo coated ambassador wins over the aquarian. Similar to the snare, the aquarian texture coated produces a more muted but focused sound compared to the remo. Both sounds very full, however, the remo coated ambassadors has a more "musical overtone".

(c) Floor toms (low tuning) - aquarian textured coated wins over remo coated ambassador. The aquarian is REALLY good on the floor toms. You can tune the floor tom low and it will produce a good sound. The aquarian sounds "fatter" and handles lower tuning better.  The aquarian head is more controlled than the remo.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I will try to review bass drum heads next time.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:06:54 AM by Hallion »

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
I would like to share my experience with the big three brands of heads: (1) Remo, (2) Evans and (3) Aquarian. Hopefully makatulong ito sa ibang drummers. Please take note that there is no such thing as a "better brand drum head". It is all PREFERENCE.

I will only be reviewing the single ply 10mm heads coated/clear for the three bands. Para hindi malito ang iba, these are the equivalents of the single ply 10mm heads for each brand:

1. Coated Single Ply
(1.a) Remo Coated Ambassador
(1.b) Evans G1 Coated
(1.c) Aquarian Texture Coated

2. Clear Single Ply
(2.a) Remo Clear Ambassador
(2.b) Evans G1 Clear
(2.c) Aquarian Classic Clear

Review Clear Heads
For the clear heads, I find aquarian and remo clear heads sound very close. The evans clear sounds a bit more "plasticky" for me. In terms of tuning, I find the new evans 360 easier to tune, while the aquarian classic clear sounds better for very low tuning. Overall, I prefer clear remo and aquarian heads for my rack toms and the aquarian clear heads for the floor tom.

Review Coated Heads
This is where it becomes interesting. I find that there is a bigger sound difference among the three brands for the coated heads compared to the clear heads. Unfortunately, I also did not like the Evans G1 coated. The coated Evans sounds more muted than the remo and aquarian counterparts. I have nothing against Evans but I just find Remo and Aquarian single ply coated heads more musical.

Now, the Aquarian and Remo single ply coated sound similar but at the same time different. Let me explain by reviewing the two heads for each drum:

(a) Snare (medium to high tuning) - remo coated ambassador wins over the aquarian. I find the aquarian textured coated mutes the snare drum more than the Remo. Furthermore, I find the coated ambassadors produces a more musical "overtones" on the snare drum. The aquarian texture coated was more focused.

(b) Rack Toms (medium tuning) - remo coated ambassador wins over the aquarian. Similar to the snare, the aquarian texture coated produces a more muted but focused sound compared to the remo. Both sounds very full, however, the remo coated ambassadors has a more "musical overtone".

(c) Floor toms (low tuning) - aquarian textured coated wins over remo coated ambassador. The aquarian is REALLY good on the floor toms. You can tune the floor tom low and it will produce a good sound. The aquarian sounds "fatter" and handles lower tuning better.  The aquarian head is more controlled than the remo.

Anyway, I hope this helps! I will try to review bass drum heads next time.

Very nice review sir! IMHO, I definitely agree with your insights. remo usually has better heads in terms of musicality. for the folks who dislike overtones, aquarian will definitely work for them.

for the kick drum tho, i think the Aquarian SKII is the best there is hahahaha
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
Wala akong alam sa head selection pagdating sa kick. usually single ply lang tapos unan  :eek: san maganda magstart? and barring aquarian, Evans or Remo?  :lol:
https://soundcloud.com/sonicassault
Turn up the sympathsizer and give me more waffle.
olive oil garlic tomatoes salt pepper basil oregano thyme chili

Offline Ralph_Petrucci

• Namamasko po!
  • Philmusicus Supremus
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »
Wala akong alam sa head selection pagdating sa kick. usually single ply lang tapos unan  :eek: san maganda magstart? and barring aquarian, Evans or Remo?  :lol:

Aquarian SK II. yun na yun. wala nang unan unan. ibang klase talaga.
hahaha ako binibiyak ko muna yung wetpaks para makita kung may yellow thingy hahahaha

Offline Hallion

• Philmusicus Noobitus
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »

Very nice review sir! IMHO, I definitely agree with your insights. remo usually has better heads in terms of musicality. for the folks who dislike overtones, aquarian will definitely work for them.

for the kick drum tho, i think the Aquarian SKII is the best there is hahahaha

Yes. I find remo heads very musical especially on the snare. You wouldn't hear much of a difference between the Remo coated ambassador and Aquarian texture coated on your toms. However, on the snare, the difference on the sound is more pronounced.

The biggest benefit of choosing the aquarian texture coated over the remo is that the aquarian coating does not chip off. I played on my aquarian texture coated for 4 months and it still looked like a brand new head. The evans coating does not chip off as fast as the remo's as well but I just don't like the evans sound.

For the bass drum, I really like the remo PS3 either the coated or clear version. I do not muffle my bass drum. I just use PS3 on batter and reso, and play the bass drum wide open. I will try to make another review for BD heads.

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »
Yes. I find remo heads very musical especially on the snare. You wouldn't hear much of a difference between the Remo coated ambassador and Aquarian texture coated on your toms. However, on the snare, the difference on the sound is more pronounced.

The biggest benefit of choosing the aquarian texture coated over the remo is that the aquarian coating does not chip off. I played on my aquarian texture coated for 4 months and it still looked like a brand new head. The evans coating does not chip off as fast as the remo's as well but I just don't like the evans sound.

For the bass drum, I really like the remo PS3 either the coated or clear version. I do not muffle my bass drum. I just use PS3 on batter and reso, and play the bass drum wide open. I will try to make another review for BD heads.

to add, the remo coating tends to get sticky af, I don't know why. parang nagpawis na glue.

How about etched heads, anyone tried it from either brand? I'm thinking mas durable sya kaysa coated

Offline uy12umainer

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »
Basta ako remo ambassador sa toms at emperor x sa snare ahaha so warm so good di ko maexplain ehehe although super mabilis matanggal coating sulit pa din imho

Offline uy12umainer

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2015, 08:45:39 PM »
Basta ako remo ambassador sa toms at emperor x sa snare ahaha so warm so good di ko maexplain ehehe although super mabilis matanggal coating sulit pa din imho

Offline sonicassault

• Philmusicus Addictus
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 09:12:54 AM »

+1 sa Emp X!! parang nadagdagan ng inches yung snare mo nun  :lol: Wala namang kaso yung coating ng emp X tho, yung sa ambassador lang nakakapanghinayang   :lol: